Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egyptian actress facing prison time for ‘revealing’ dress

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Egyptian actress facing prison time for ‘revealing’ dress

Are you seriously deflecting from Islamic modesty laws with dubious accusations of sexism? Really?

He had similar beliefs with the average islamophobe of today.
    I, as an ‘Islamophobe’ have similar beliefs? Ok, what are they?

Islamophobes only care for woman as long as they stay in kitchen and bring them a cold beer anytime they want, because evil feminists are destroying their sexy grid girls and the old gender roles of 50's.
    This, is inaccurate my friend.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Here's a sexy pinup for the Islamophobes out there.

As regards the question posed, to test whether it is indeed as impertenant as Aedous suggests here's some quotes from Lord Cromer. Perhaps someone can check the works of TWC's equivalent and find comparable quotes. Consider it a competition, with rep for the first person to complete the excercise.

1 - “The Oriental generally acts, speaks and thinks in a manner exactly opposite to the European.”

2- "The ‘Egyptian spirit’ is an obstacle to the reformer"

3-"It is absurd to suppose Europe will look on as a passive spectator whilst the retrograde government based on purely Muhammadan principles and oriental ideas [i.e Islam], is established in Egypt. The material interests at stake are too important …the new generation of Egyptians has to be persuaded or forced into imbibing the true spirit of Western civilisation"

4. "Although the Europeanised Egyptian is no true Moslem, he is often as intolerant, and sometimes even more intolerant of Christianity than the old orthodox Moslem, who has received no European education. He frequently hates Christians with a bitter hatred, and he does so partly because many of the Christians with whom he has been brought in contact deserve to be hated, and partly because the Christian, in his capacity of being a European, is a rival who occupies positions, which the Europeanised Egyptian thinks he should himself occupy."

5 "The position of women in Egypt, and Mohammedan countries generally, is, therefore a fatal obstacle to the attainment of that elevation of thought and character which should accompany the introduction of Western civilisation"

Note, He didn't see the position of women in the UK as a fatal obstacle to the attainment of that elevation of thought and character etc..."

https://makinghistoryatmacquarie.wor...-long-hang-up/

https://archive.org/details/modernegypt00crom/page/n67
    Last edited by mongrel; December 06, 2018 at 02:32 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Ok, let's put the breaks on this discussion real quick and refocus on the actual points. As far as I can tell Aexodus, your OP has to two major topics.

1. Egypt's government is considering jailing a woman for not dressing conservatively enough, a conflict which stems from religious dogma in the government.
    2. You extrapolate this behavior to our society in the West, where you see similar trends and practices.

Now I hardly see anyone defending point 1. I think we all thoroughly condemn religious backwardness, but I've addressed point two and why you can't compare the events in Egypt and the events in the West. We are not adopting Islam, nor do our governments or society remotely practice similar acts of authoritarianism.

"Hate speech" laws are driven by European sense of what constitutes "civil society" and not any particular religious dogma. Private corporations or individual government institutions exercise their freedom of markets and society to impose rules they find agreeable with their market or philosophical goals. It's the same reason why, as far as I know, one cannot compel a Christian church to perform a gay wedding.

Blog Entries

"Hate speech" laws are driven by European sense of what constitutes "civil society" and not any particular religious dogma.

It’s not about religious dogma. Hate speech laws, and blasphemy laws are wrong for the same reason, in that they curtail our freedoms, and are borne out of this philosophy that the ‘public morality’ comes first. In Egypt, they also think that this is what constitutes ‘civil society’. These are subjective crimes.

Private corporations or individual government institutions exercise their freedom of markets and society to impose rules they find agreeable with their market or philosophical goals. It's the same reason why, as far as I know, one cannot compel a Christian church to perform a gay wedding.
    The only reason I brought up the formula 1 issue is because it’s an example of feminists dropping the ball on these sorts of issues.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post

It’s not about religious dogma. Hate speech laws, and blasphemy laws are wrong for the same reason, in that they curtail our freedoms, and are borne out of this philosophy that the ‘public morality’ comes first. In Egypt, they also think that this is what constitutes ‘civil society’. These are subjective crimes.

The only reason I brought up the formula 1 issue is because it’s an example of feminists dropping the ball on these sorts of issues.
    So this is the real reason for this nonsense thread.

Hate speech laws curtail our freedoms? How? Reasonable people don't suffer any detriment whatsoever from being unable to abuse our foreign-looking people gratuitously, or being detered from harrassing women, the disabled or gay folk. What possible benefit could a decent, civilised person get from a relaxation of such sensible protections?

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

"Hate speech" laws are quite similar to blasphemy laws in Islamist countries. Such laws are usually poorly-defined, and thus open for abuse by government officials, just look at current state of things in UK where people get arrested for making youtube comedy videos or to punish political activists. Truth is that no rational society really needs "hate speech" laws, just like it does not need "blasphemy laws". If someone is making an "evil" statement you can always make an argument against it, as per your right.
    "Hate speech" laws belong in the dust bin of history, and we need free market of opinions instead. For example in US there are no "hate speech" laws, but we don not see "hate crime apocalypse" that authoritarians who support such legislature claim would happen.

Blog Entries

This is the most watched video on the BBC at the moment, the world is watching.

Actress Rania Youssef facing jail term over revealing dress http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46846286

This is the most watched video on the BBC at the moment, the world is watching.

Actress Rania Youssef facing jail term over revealing dress http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46846286
    I hope the judge chucks out this obviously misogynist charge. Wonder though if the world continues to look at France and Saudi, which also have daft laws concerning what females must wear.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    Islamophobes only care for woman as long as they stay in kitchen and bring them a cold beer anytime they want, because evil feminists are destroying their sexy grid girls and the old gender roles of 50's.
    And that’s topical why?

I find it quite amusing how Islam apologists manage to defend religion's very real barbaric practices and misogyny and then accuse Western men of literally non-existent misogyny in the same sentence.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    I find it quite amusing how Islam apologists manage to defend religion's very real barbaric practices and misogyny and then accuse Western men of literally non-existent misogyny in the same sentence.
    Ehh no. Restricting female nudity is not "barbaric".
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 15, 2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Irrelevant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Ehh no. Restricting female nudity is not "barbaric".
    Was Youssef exposing nudity?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 15, 2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Continuity.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Was Youssef exposing nudity?
    For the majority of the Egyptians it is.

Taking into consideration that 39 posts have been deleted and a couple of more edited, the discussion has obviously run its course, so the thread is permanently closed. For the future, please refrain from either disorientating the debate with "red herring" fallacies or derailing the course of the discussion by posting intentionally provocative comments, specifically designed to illicit an emotional response from your interlocutor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12