Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Governor of Athens at 16 years of age?

  1. #1

    Default Governor of Athens at 16 years of age?

    I have a question regarding an ever present situation i face during every campaign.

    For example, as the Greeks,
    Young FMs come of age at 16 and i will always put them in Athens for their education.. One of my house rules i suppose...

    Here comes the problem, Is there anyway i avoid the situation of these young FMs "becoming governor" by default in an empty city when the matured FMs/ assigned governors are out of the city?

    Reason being, it is not realistic and I am weary of undesirable traits which i assume they would and should receive if the game makes them governor at 16... although i am no expert on how the trait systems treats this

    Another example would be sending a 16 year old FM to ungoverned (ie no governor present) Sparta for the agoge. Does the 16 yo "become the governor" by default? Cause it seems to me the player has no control over this.

    Thanks

    Hurray to the release of EB2 2.35!!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Governor of Athens at 16 years of age?

    The game chooses as governor the character with the highest influence (which used to be piety/management), regardless of traits. You can roleplay the 16 year old being not the actual governor, but the man behind the actual power. He could be the protegé of an influential man and thus is learning from him as he develops, their fates are linked so if one is disgraced both will go down. Basically don't take the game mechanics at face value, that young man could have a tutor or close friend in that polis that is part of the governing body.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Governor of Athens at 16 years of age?

    Hardcoded mechanic. Short of moving the affected character out of the settlement, there's nothing you can do.
    It began on seven hills - a historical house-ruled Romani AAR
    Heirs to Lysimachos - a semi-historical Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR
    Philetairos' Gift - a second attempt at an Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR


  4. #4

    Default Re: Governor of Athens at 16 years of age?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Hardcoded mechanic. Short of moving the affected character out of the settlement, there's nothing you can do.
    Since this is the case, there should be more than a few instances of cities having underage and hence under qualified governors. Will this as a result to the 16 year olds getting bad traits? A case of having too much too soon? How does the trait system process such scenarios in a character's development from an RPG point of view? Is there an impact?
    Last edited by qwertykov; December 04, 2018 at 11:52 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Governor of Athens at 16 years of age?

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertykov View Post
    Reason being, it is not realistic
    I too feel it is unrealistic that the generals are able to rule cities/regions at that age.

    However, while 16 is clearly too young, I have been quite fascinated in my classical studies at how young especially upper-class Roman men would acquire positions of great responsibility and even power. Comparing with modern western standards, many had achieved quite much by their thirties. I guess they were reared towards important jobs from an early age and didn't have to attend twelve grades of school together with every imaginable moron in their community, then do odd jobs to support themselves through university (often taking much longer than 4 years outside the US) and be lucky if they can have their first real career job before thirty.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Governor of Athens at 16 years of age?

    Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Comparing with modern western standards, many had achieved quite much by their thirties. I guess they were reared towards important jobs from an early age and didn't have to attend twelve grades of school together with every imaginable moron in their community, then do odd jobs to support themselves through university (often taking much longer than 4 years outside the US) and be lucky if they can have their first real career job before thirty.
    This comment caused me physical pain.
    Also, not impossible for 16 years old, with some help from mentor, to govern city if he has a natural talent for it. Not every 16 y.o. mind you, but some prodigies could.

  7. #7
    mustafadark's Avatar Laetus
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Turkey/Byzantion/Bosphorus
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Governor of Athens at 16 years of age?

    Look at the ''octavian caesar''. It's a perfect sample about young leaders.

  8. #8
    Civis
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: Governor of Athens at 16 years of age?

    Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I too feel it is unrealistic that the generals are able to rule cities/regions at that age.

    However, while 16 is clearly too young, I have been quite fascinated in my classical studies at how young especially upper-class Roman men would acquire positions of great responsibility and even power. Comparing with modern western standards, many had achieved quite much by their thirties. I guess they were reared towards important jobs from an early age and didn't have to attend twelve grades of school together with every imaginable moron in their community, then do odd jobs to support themselves through university (often taking much longer than 4 years outside the US) and be lucky if they can have their first real career job before thirty.
    Gotta love capitalism America...

    I always thought that the Scandinavian countries had it better off, but I guess when you pay $12 for a slice of pizza, you'd struggle too...
    Last edited by OJ33DA; December 07, 2018 at 08:31 AM.
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •