Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I must have missed it. Do I have to own Corinth and place a FM there?
    I don't think there is. I've played dozens of campaigns as Hellenic factions and I've never once seen anything to do with the Olympics.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

The Olympics was an old EB1 feature that hasn't been re-created in EBII. There might be some vestigial traits without triggers floating around in the EDCT, but no one has gotten round to working on them.

There ya has it - straight from the horse's mouth.
    I recommend a pugio rather than a spear, because in close quarters combat, a dagger will serve you better than a spear.

Rad, 2016.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Huh! I could have sworn there was an Olympics athlete trait for Hellenistic factions. I must be thinking of super old EBI campaigns then! Come to think of it, the EBII traits that are particular to Hellenistic factions are ones like the Strategos, Eleusinian and Gynaikonomos traits.

Lusitanio's Avatar Semisalis

Yep, as Quintus said, they still exist in the EDCT. A shame that this traits do not exist in EBII campaign. I remember playing EBI as the Seleukids and the Olympic traits was one of the most fun events in the campaign, it was like football when you accompany the players Getting mad at the FM that "cheated" at the olympics and happy for the ones that were victors
    Maybe I will take a look at them when I have time

Will there be a Scordisci unit(s)?
    I recommend a pugio rather than a spear, because in close quarters combat, a dagger will serve you better than a spear.

Rad, 2016.

Am I seeing this correctly? Rome cannot recruit Hellenistic Greek cataphracts/kataphractoi? It's my number one favorite unit in the game and while I've been gleeful to fight against Seleucid cataphracts on a number of occasions now (even Varu Indian elephants), I'm a bit disappointed that I can't seem to recruit them as SPQR (although historically Rome didn't have cataphracts in West Asia until the mid-Principate period).

I'm happy to see that I can recruit Hellenistic Thureopherontes Hippotoxotai (the horse archers) and Thureopherontes Toxotai (the foot archers) as mercenaries in the Black Sea region, but is there any government type that offers their recruitment? It's cool that I can recruit either Pontic Hoplites or Getic Hippotoxotai horse archers from Histria, but I'd like to know if the Thureopherontes can be recruited directly from settlements in Hellenistic Crimea if I take that regions in the name of the Roman Republic. They truly are among the best missile units in the game, right up there with the Cretan Archers, Balearic Slingers, and (Illyrian) Skaplinai Slingers.

EDIT: also, is it possible to rep somebody for expanding and improving the "This Year in History" messages at the end of each year, during the winter month, extending now all the way to like 190 BC (even though I'm at 110 BC and turn 650 at the moment, hehe). You guys have done a marvelous job in writing up these historical summaries and some brilliant SOB even thought to include snippets of info on ancient China's Qin and Han dynasties, which is ignored entirely in the game except for a few ancillaries for eastern factions like the Saka (like the Han silk trader and Zhang Qian the explorer and diplomat).

Marvzilla's Avatar Ducenarius

Where have you tried to recruit them ? As far as I know there are two places where you can recruit them in this version, atleast I was able to as Ptolemies in Edessa and and Damascus I think as well.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Am I seeing this correctly? Rome cannot recruit Hellenistic Greek cataphracts/kataphractoi? It's my number one favorite unit in the game and while I've been gleeful to fight against Seleucid cataphracts on a number of occasions now (even Varu Indian elephants), I'm a bit disappointed that I can't seem to recruit them as SPQR (although historically Rome didn't have cataphracts in West Asia until the mid-Principate period).
    Nope, the Romans can't recruit Hellenistic Kataphraktoi.

I'm happy to see that I can recruit Hellenistic Thureopherontes Hippotoxotai (the horse archers) and Thureopherontes Toxotai (the foot archers) as mercenaries in the Black Sea region, but is there any government type that offers their recruitment? It's cool that I can recruit either Pontic Hoplites or Getic Hippotoxotai horse archers from Histria, but I'd like to know if the Thureopherontes can be recruited directly from settlements in Hellenistic Crimea if I take that regions in the name of the Roman Republic. They truly are among the best missile units in the game, right up there with the Cretan Archers, Balearic Slingers, and (Illyrian) Skaplinai Slingers.
    They're recruitable in the post-Marian Provinciae around the Black Sea.

EDIT: also, is it possible to rep somebody for expanding and improving the "This Year in History" messages at the end of each year, during the winter month, extending now all the way to like 190 BC (even though I'm at 110 BC and turn 650 at the moment, hehe). You guys have done a marvelous job in writing up these historical summaries and some brilliant SOB even thought to include snippets of info on ancient China's Qin and Han dynasties, which is ignored entirely in the game except for a few ancillaries for eastern factions like the Saka (like the Han silk trader and Zhang Qian the explorer and diplomat).
    You can thank Kull, he was the one who persevered with expanding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Where have you tried to recruit them ? As far as I know there are two places where you can recruit them in this version, atleast I was able to as Ptolemies in Edessa and and Damascus I think as well.
    That's precisely the reason I asked, because I already took Damascus. It's my easternmost settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Nope, the Romans can't recruit Hellenistic Kataphraktoi.
    Damn! I figured as much. I noticed, however, that Rome can recruit heavily armored Scythian nobles, which is almost just as good.

I would consider killing someone or robbing an old lady if it meant the chance to be able to recruit Sarmatian, Parthian, Armenian and Saka cataphracts all in the same army, though.

Honestly, just imagine the sheer bulldozing and glorious annihilation of fleeing peasants trampled under their hooves. Just like sex, I'd need a cigarette after that battle.

I've seen all these units in custom battles and they are just simply jaw-dropping.

They're recruitable in the post-Marian Provinciae around the Black Sea.
    Cool! I just took Pantikapaion and yes, I see that I can recruit both the Thureopherontes horse archers and foot archers from an allied democracy, an allied oligarchy, and even a provincial type government. Yippee! One problem, though: is Rome also unable to recruit the heavy Bosporan logades? The ones with chainmail that look like Thorakitai but even cooler? Are Hellenistic factions only allowed to recruit them? I love that I can have Peltastai Logades, Thorakitai, Pontic hoplites, Spartan hoplites, but this would be a serious cherry on top. It would make sense to have them too, since the Romans look and fight in a similar manner.

You can thank Kull, he was the one who persevered with expanding them.
    Cool! I'll rep him the next time I see him.

Artifex

Rome can't recruit Bosporan Logades.

Is there not any other way to make the AI nomadic factions transform their nomadic camps into settlements? Seeing as the AI factions are given an easy way to access their reforms, I don't see why they can't be just be easily and automatically given the farms building and then the permanent settlement.

Related to the above topic, I've noticed that Najiran is among the south Arabian Cities to have a Royal Court yet due to being a nomadic camp, how are they able to build Royal Estates if the Saba can't covert them into a settlement?

Artifex

Conversion requires destruction of buildings, which the AI never does.

A minor observation. East of Waldawa, there seems to be a couple of minor settlements that have Roman architecture. I'm not sure if these can be removed or converted?

Is it intentional for the Celtic horn music to play when you're playing as Rome if you're fighting Celts? According to descr_sounds_music, it looks like it should only be Roman battle music. Is there a script that changes things depending on who you're fighting?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    A minor observation. East of Waldawa, there seems to be a couple of minor settlements that have Roman architecture. I'm not sure if these can be removed or converted?
    Which settlements are you observing that in?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwebib View Post
    Is it intentional for the Celtic horn music to play when you're playing as Rome if you're fighting Celts? According to descr_sounds_music, it looks like it should only be Roman battle music. Is there a script that changes things depending on who you're fighting?
    It's the property associated with several units who have horn-players for officers. So yes.

Apologies, a little unobservant of me. It seems as though its just the style in which all minor settlements (not the ones in use, but those that are just there for display) are depicted. I do think that, at some point, it would benefit the mod to create separate models (i.e., Roman, Greek, Tribal) for different cultures, as sometimes they look a little out of place, in some regions.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    Apologies, a little unobservant of me. It seems as though its just the style in which all minor settlements (not the ones in use, but those that are just there for display) are depicted. I do think that, at some point, it would benefit the mod to create separate models (i.e., Roman, Greek, Tribal) for different cultures, as sometimes they look a little out of place, in some regions.
    Ah, we can't. It's a resource, meaning one model for the entire map.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Ah, we can't. It's a resource, meaning one model for the entire map.
    Would it be possible then to change it to something a little less like the Greek/Roman settlements, that don't look so out of place in barbarian lands?

And on the subject of incredibly minor nitpicks, would it be possible to change the strat city models, so that cities with wooden walls actually look like that on the campaign map?

Also I'm not crazy about the strat model for the huge city (I've only seen the Greek one, don't know if this applies for others). Those massive walls stick out like a sore thumb.

Lusitanio's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Would it be possible then to change it to something a little less like the Greek/Roman settlements, that don't look so out of place in barbarian lands?
    But then it would be out of place in Italy, Greece and all the other lands :/

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast