Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SUBMOD] Flames in the East - A Rhûnnic Overhaul - BETA version 0.6 released!

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Flames in the East - A Rhûnnic Overhaul - BETA version 0.5 released!

Congrats on release .

El Monstero29's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Flames in the East - A Rhûnnic Overhaul - BETA version 0.5 released!

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    Good job.

I noticed though that the culture still has to be balanced on the map. You made Harad and Khand Followers of Melkor again but their regions are still overwhelmingly Dragon-Worshippers. This should be fixed. Also if you want you could either use the "Others" culture or you could expand the 'Nomadic' culture that good Khand uses.
    Thanks I will take care of the culture problem in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman1946 View Post
    Congrats on release .
    Thanks, hopefully at least a few people can find some enjoyment in it.

I forgot to do the Steam cleanup. The religion works fine now, you did balance it.

It would be a good idea to mention the Steam cleanup in the installation section of the OP. If you don't do it your game right run really slowly.
    Last edited by Steward Denethor II; January 05, 2019 at 04:33 PM.

Good call, that's become so second nature to me I completely took it for granted. I'll amend the install instructions.

just beat original sin 2, so looking for something new to play. Great timing! So far so good, got 2 tribes to bow down to me and discovered a cache of gold. I was elated to find my faction leader wielding the flamethrowers. Sauron demanded a tribute, was that taken automatically or do I need to send a diplomat to gift them something?

Only issues I found mainly are in the building browser - City has "Dragon Templ" Additionally they look out of order. It looks like it should go Shrine->Temple->Sanctuary, but Sanctuary (and the biggest building) is built first, with the description calling it a small shrine. The castle tab has a generic map picture for Sanctuary, and Catapult Maker. It also has a Shrine of Melkor with generic text.

no real issues so far, great work!

Quote Originally Posted by mountainblade View Post
    just beat original sin 2, so looking for something new to play. Great timing! So far so good, got 2 tribes to bow down to me and discovered a cache of gold. I was elated to find my faction leader wielding the flamethrowers. Sauron demanded a tribute, was that taken automatically or do I need to send a diplomat to gift them something?
    Glad you're liking it so far! And yes, the tribute is taken automatically every time that message pops up. I ultimately decided against making it an actual prompt every 4 turns I think the game flows better this way, plus it made the later scripts easier to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainblade View Post
    Only issues I found mainly are in the building browser - City has "Dragon Templ" Additionally they look out of order. It looks like it should go Shrine->Temple->Sanctuary, but Sanctuary (and the biggest building) is built first, with the description calling it a small shrine. The castle tab has a generic map picture for Sanctuary, and Catapult Maker. It also has a Shrine of Melkor with generic text.

no real issues so far, great work!
    Doesn't surprise me that I messed up some of the UI stuff, I'll put that on my list of things to fix.

As you get further into the campaign I'd be really interested to hear how you feel the Sauron Tribute is actually affecting the game. Whether it's too much, or barely even noticeable, or just right.

Thank you for the feedback

So the shrines are indeed in the correct order, but you're correct that the first image appears larger. If you look closely at all the details of each building, though, it's pretty clear that the two later ones have added pieces, the final tier adds a gold colored roof.

A few suggestions

The Naffatun Marines don't really do as much damage as they should realistically, so I think they could use much stronger missiles in exchange for a much smaller unit size. Right now they are essentially a stronger javelin unit.

Secondly, Balthoch Spearmen are a really weak unit for a general, so I'd change the general who gets them to have a better unit. I used the Rhun Elite Spearmen.

Finally, the lore describes Rhun as using axes so maybe one of their top tier units could have axes. Either the Elite Spearmen or the Elite Two Handed Swordsmen could have this, maybe the Firethrowers could as well.

I have only played a few turns but I really like the strong armies of the Rebels and the music is first rate. Also the script ideas are excellent, I look forward to playing it out and I'll give any thoughts in this thread once I get farther along.

A few suggestions

The Naffatun Marines don't really do as much damage as they should realistically, so I think they could use much stronger missiles in exchange for a much smaller unit size. Right now they are essentially a stronger javelin unit.
    I'm certainly not opposed to this, and I have already buffed them ever so slightly by increasing their range by about 10 meters. I'll see if others feel the same.

Secondly, Balthoch Spearmen are a really weak unit for a general, so I'd change the general who gets them to have a better unit. I used the Rhun Elite Spearmen.
    Ha! That guy originally had the javelin unit as his BG, so he's come a long way already! I do agree that his unit isn't the best, but I personally think it's too much to give you any more elite units in the early game, the flamethrower unit for your faction leader is already on the edge of too OP. The Balcoth Spearmen aren't great but they aren't terrible either, that general might be best used as a governor. Again, if others agree with your sentiment then I will consider changing him.

Finally, the lore describes Rhun as using axes so maybe one of their top tier units could have axes. Either the Elite Spearmen or the Elite Two Handed Swordsmen could have this, maybe the Firethrowers could as well.
    Now this is a great idea! I'd be totally for this, but alas someone else would have to do that for me as I have 0 abilities to edit actual unit models.

I have only played a few turns but I really like the strong armies of the Rebels and the music is first rate. Also the script ideas are excellent, I look forward to playing it out and I'll give any thoughts in this thread once I get farther along.
    I did actually just update the download with a newer version. I apologize for the inconvenience but it's a necessary update. At least you've only made it a few turns in

Otherwise, I'm glad to hear you like what you see so far and I greatly look forward to your feedback in the future!

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Flames in the East - A Rhûnnic Overhaul - BETA version 0.6 released!

Congrats again on the release. I can probably do that attachment swap for you if you figure out the 'from' and 'to' units for the axe. Let me know.

Sir Matthias's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Flames in the East - A Rhûnnic Overhaul - BETA version 0.6 released!

I mean I can switch weapons out and stuff and do basic modeling if you need me to.

I was only on turn 3 so it does not matter. This is beta so bugs are to be expected.

I just by chance started a campaign as Harad in the new version. Their units require the Dragon-Worshipers culture even though they are Followers of Melkor. Khand has a similar problem.

Edit: Since I wanted to start I modded the file to fix the problem. Download the file in the link below and put it in the data folder and this issue should be fixed. It is save game compatible.

https://ufile.io/kmnr5

Edit again: I noticed something else in your files and I realized that if Rhun accepts Saurons rule and becomes followers of Melkor again, their units will still require Dragon-Worshipers to be recruited apart from the Black Numenorians. There is no entry in export_descr_buildings for venice (Rhun) to be able recruit units with the catholic (Follower of Melkor) religion in the event that they bow to Sauron. My file above does not fix that issue.
    Last edited by Steward Denethor II; January 07, 2019 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Callistonian View Post
    Congrats again on the release. I can probably do that attachment swap for you if you figure out the 'from' and 'to' units for the axe. Let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Matthias View Post
    I mean I can switch weapons out and stuff and do basic modeling if you need me to.
    Thank you to both of you guys, I'll think about what I want to do with that and get back to you.

I was only on turn 3 so it does not matter. This is beta so bugs are to be expected.

I just by chance started a campaign as Harad in the new version. Their units require the Dragon-Worshipers culture even though they are Followers of Melkor. Khand has a similar problem.

Edit: Since I wanted to start I modded the file to fix the problem. Download the file in the link below and put it in the data folder and this issue should be fixed. It is save game compatible.

Edit again: I noticed something else in your files and I realized that if Rhun accepts Saurons rule and becomes followers of Melkor again, their units will still require Dragon-Worshipers to be recruited apart from the Black Numenorians. There is no entry in export_descr_buildings for venice (Rhun) to be able recruit units with the catholic (Follower of Melkor) religion in the event that they bow to Sauron. My file above does not fix that issue.
    I see, I didn't even consider that it needed to be defined exactly which religion the units needed in order to be recruited, I thought it would just revert to what ever the faction's current religion was. I'll look at what you changed and see if I can't apply the same fix for Rhun. Thank you, my lord Denethor!

Cool sub-sub-mod - I think this makes Rhun much more interesting! One small thing I noticed, when I tried it out yesterday: the starting generals both have the 'Men of Melkor' trait. Maybe this can be replaced with some 'Dragon Cultist' or whatever trait? Not a big deal though
    Secondly, what is your plan with this submod? Do you wait until DaC 3 comes out before you finalize it an release version 1.0?

So, if Rhun declaresd independence from Mordor...will it be possible to do a total 180 turn and destroy the Ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Muad'dib Atreides View Post
    Cool sub-sub-mod - I think this makes Rhun much more interesting! One small thing I noticed, when I tried it out yesterday: the starting generals both have the 'Men of Melkor' trait. Maybe this can be replaced with some 'Dragon Cultist' or whatever trait? Not a big deal though
    Secondly, what is your plan with this submod? Do you wait until DaC 3 comes out before you finalize it an release version 1.0?
    I would like to create a new trait for Rhunnic generals, I thought about that before release, but I decided to wait on implementing it. I may include that in the final version. I'd like to give each of the Southmen factions(Rhun, Khand, and Harad) a unique trait like that if I can.

As to my overall plan, I'm not entirely sure how to do this, honestly. Since v3 is not too far off, I don't really see the point in finalizing this version when I'm just going to have to update again relatively soon. I may just do what you said, and wait until v3 comes out. I had also hoped to get a bit more feedback by this point, but I suppose the lack of feedback could be construed as a good thing. People are more likely to give feedback when they encounter bugs or things they don't like, afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    So, if Rhun declaresd independence from Mordor...will it be possible to do a total 180 turn and destroy the Ring?
    I haven't altered the ring script at all, so currently, no I don't think you would be able to destroy the ring. Perhaps that is something I could look into for the final release, though.

Check the EDB text file, ElMonstero. You also have to switch the religion that is required by the units of Khand and Harad to Shadow of Melkor's (Christianity I think). In the meantime, other users can also do this manually.

Sorry for double posting, but is it possible for you to upload a Sound Overhaul-less build? But it's really just a pet-peeve of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxvail View Post
    Check the EDB text file, ElMonstero. You also have to switch the religion that is required by the units of Khand and Harad to Shadow of Melkor's (Christianity I think). In the meantime, other users can also do this manually.

Sorry for double posting, but is it possible for you to upload a Sound Overhaul-less build? But it's really just a pet-peeve of mine.
    That will definitely be fixed in the next version, thank you!

Unfortunately, for the time being I must include the Sound Overhaul simply because I need to make sure everyone has the flamethrower sound effects. Because of the way Med 2's sound files work I have to include all the files affected by any change. I could do a version with no music included, which would reduce the file size a lot, but I don't want to do that because it will only make the installation process more complex than I want it to be. Right now, it's essentially just a drag and drop. Simple, short, and easy as can be.

However! My sound overhaul will be included in v3 of DAC, so in the future you'll have the appropriate sound files by default. So, I will be able to dramatically reduce the download size after that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxvail View Post
    I posted a fix in this thread, here is the link.

In my opinion the flamethrowers are just too powerful as a turn 1 bodyguard. In one sally battle since I rushed them to the gate they got over 1300 kills! This was on large settings so on huge it would be even more. My suggestion would be a script to send your faction leader to Mistrad if you choose independence from Sauron for a coronation, where his bodyguard is then changed. Since there are no firethrowers mentioned in the lore it makes sense for them to be more restricted.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast