Thread: [Westeros] Ours is the Fury, a Renly AAR

Bryce Caron's Avatar Ordinarius

Default [Westeros] Ours is the Fury, a Renly AAR

Hello everyone, I was a short time Dev for the team doing some scripting way back in the Toho days, as well as unit descriptions, testing, writing, and some other mundane stuff. I used to regularly post AAR's before I ended up taking them down in the time leading up to the 1.0 release. I have much more time on my hands now and as such I've been keen to get back into writing, doing a regular AAR thread helps keep me interested and invested in the game. I have always loved Renly as a character, and feel that he was done so poorly in the show compared to what we saw in the books. As such my AAR will be a continuation of his book character only.

I'll be just doing a short post today and getting everything set up tonight. I will be staying pretty true to the books while deviating a little bit obviously for some artistic reasoning.

Prologue: The Clouds of War gather

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Renly sat at the head of the table, flanked by Roybar Royce of Runestone, Cortnay Penrose his Castellan, and Raymund Connington of Griffin's Roost. The men sat in the Lord's makeshift war chamber in the great keep of Storm's End, his families ancestral home. The weather outside was that of a typical Stormland's day, spitting rain and biting winds. He had gathered his bannermen here to make preparations for war and to seek council from his Lords. The Stormlands had stood behind Renly when he declared Kingship over the Seven Kingdoms, even if some of the greater houses such as the Swann's took convincing via martial means.

"My Lords, I think not the question is whether we go to war, but whom with, and how we do it." Ser Cortnay Penrose said, quietly piping up over the two younger knights, "The Lannisters and their puppet King Joffrey have already up against us. With the full might of the Westerlands and Crownlands, we cannot hope to win out by ourselves." He finished.

"We have twenty thousand men give or take, seasoned veterans of Robert's campaigns, armed and equipped as well as any Lannister host. We can easily carry the day with our King leading us, the rightful king!" The young knight from Runestone said, his voice and quick temper rising by the minute.

"Aye! Once all of our might is assembled here we will have an army fit enough to march on King's Landing. If we can beat Joffrey and his bannermen in the Crownlands we can then turn our focus to the Tywin and his Lannister ilk." Exclaimed the young Connington man, clearly eager to earn battlefield renown of his own.

"Two green boys who think they know enough of war to lead men into battle," The older Castellan started, "You should listen to those older and wiser than yourselves. We need allies!" He spat.

"Enough!" The young Baratheon King exclaimed, Slamming his mailed fist on the table, toppling a cup of wine sat to his right. "We march when all of our might is assembled here." Renly finished.

The two knights were clearly pleased with this and smirked to each other, seemingly having won the argument.

"But we won't do it alone." Renly said. "We will send envoys. Robb Stark has declared Kingship over the North, and the Riverlands have taken up arms and sided with him." He trailed off.

"Your Grace, do you mean to divide up the Kingdoms and follow that Northern Boy? He's as green as the Spring grass!" Ser Cortnay Penrose said, his voice rising to almost a yell.

Renly turned his head to look at him, and realizing the mistake he'd made he muttered an apology. "Perhaps. The North offers little, and to take it by force would be a folly. There are other houses however. The Arryns of the Vale have not yet declared for anyone. The Greyjoys sit rotting on their island, they will likely have naught to do with any of this but if they could be convinced to move against the Lannisters they could prove to be a valuable ally." He declared. "But the Tyrells and Martells haven't declared for anyone yet either. If we could sway either or both of them we would have the largest alliance, and the Tyrells would bring ample men and resources to bear. As an aside Mace Tyrell has a young eligible daughter that could seal our alliance. . ." He finished.

"Aye," Said Penrose. "But would they back us?"

"If we made it worth their while Ser. With the loan we secured from the Iron Bank I think we could." The King said. "I have sent Bryce Caron and an envoy to secure an alliance and her hand as well. He will write to me within a fortnight and then make his way here with some additional forces from Nightsong. Then we will make our move on Joffrey and his rabid cur, and that's the end of it."

The men nodded silently in agreement, which contented him. And with that, he stood up and marched from the room leaving his council to their own devices.
    Last edited by Bryce Caron; November 26, 2018 at 08:24 PM.