Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a new monitor

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Default Re: Looking for a new monitor

Yes
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    Yes
    Νice. Let us know about your observations, at some point

Like I said I think it is a great monitor overall. My only problem is that I can't be in the mode I want and then change to blue only and then change the hue and saturation. I can change hue and saturation in game mode, but not in RGB mode. So it doesn't do me any good without having a proper scale to look at. So in that way it did not work out. But other than that it is a great monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    Like I said I think it is a great monitor overall. My only problem is that I can't be in the mode I want and then change to blue only and then change the hue and saturation. I can change hue and saturation in game mode, but not in RGB mode. So it doesn't do me any good without having a proper scale to look at. So in that way it did not work out. But other than that it is a great monitor.
    I meant sharing your observations after a period of Gaming or watching movies etc

So friend, I myself recently chose a monitor. So I rush on this topic. The fact is that I do video editing and is also a fan of games. I can stand out a few ideas about which you should think:
    1) If you don’t edit video or don’t paint photos in Photoshop, then you don’t need an IPS matrix (there’s just a viewing angle that’s more important for work and colors are transferred more accurately after calibration)
    2) The TN matrix is ​​more suitable for games, the response time is faster and blah blah blah (if you are not a professional gamer on the CS, then you should not care)
    3) PLC matrix (like the best option, just no one knows better or worse, really wtf know)
    4) Consider buying two monitors (I bought a new IPS https://www.bestadvisor.com/27-inch-monitors, and 2nd TN I bought a used one, since it’s really cheap and if it breaks, you can buy a new one)
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 14, 2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Quite honestly, the whole "gaming" thing is a sham as far as I'm concerned. I've always been a very heavy and very competitive gamer. I've been as high as LEM on CSGO (top 5% of the playerbase), Platinum on League of Legends (top 10% or maybe even less) and in the top 0.1% of PUBG ladder. I can say with confidence, that I can play pretty much to the 90-95% of my level regardless of how slow my monitor is and I've played on some really slow ones. One of my old IPS monitors ghosted very noticeably when I played CSS back in 2006. But at no point did it actually significantly hamper me. The truth is, gaming is 95% down to your skill and decision-making in game. It will almost never be about getting information on your screen 5 milliseconds faster. Hell, even with a 20 millisecond delay. One of my favorite games ever was Gunz: The Duel which was incredibly fast paced and required precision, ping leading, and fast monitor response. I was still very good.

On the other hand, the difference between a bad TN panel and even a decent IPS monitor is almost immediately noticeable. As in you can tell the difference instantly by switching monitors. Response times and high refresh rates monitors? That takes a lot more time to tell and specific conditions to actually notice. Having a fast panel is certainly an edge in gaming, but not much. If a person is determined to get better or to get to the topic of the ladder, there are so many more things they should be doing before even touching their monitor. I'd argue that your mouse, keyboard, and headset take far more precedence over your monitor. I'd add good Internet to that as well actually. For a monitor, I'd definitely prioritize your actual PC performance, and visual quality, over the "speed" of your monitor.

TL;DR 99.9% of us don't need a gaming monitor. Buy an IPS and game/do whatever. The only reason to buy a TN panel these days is price and if you're actually trying to go pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    TL;DR 99.9% of us don't need a gaming monitor. Buy an IPS and game/do whatever. The only reason to buy a TN panel these days is price and if you're actually trying to go pro.
    I agree 100%
    You'll only need a TN and 120-144hz when you're competitively playing FPS games. I would suggest a good IPS over a good TN panel any day, for casual gaming,media and movies. Just don't buy the cheapest one ofc.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I have a VA panel from ViewSonic and it's VERY slow, 20ms on the spec and in FPS I could actually see the shadow left behind by fast moving targets, causing serious aiming problem with detailed graphics.

have to use lowest graphics level with 16-bit color and lowest possible resolution to offset it.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    I have a VA panel from ViewSonic and it's VERY slow, 20ms on the spec and in FPS I could actually see the shadow left behind by fast moving targets, causing serious aiming problem with detailed graphics.

have to use lowest graphics level with 16-bit color and lowest possible resolution to offset it.
    What model ? I'm sure it's an old or a cheap VA panel then

z3n's Avatar State of Mind

As somebody who has had an Asus TN panel, I'd say they are terrible. Their only advantage is that they're a cheap option for going to 144hz etc.

The Dell IPS I had was great for colors.

VA is just as good and also can go to 144hz; I've got an Acer Predator Z271 I picked up for $250 usd total off ebay currently and it's fantastic. I'm even a fan of the gsync. Granted I probably wouldn't have paid the full price ($600~ without tax)
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    As somebody who has had an Asus TN panel, I'd say they are terrible. Their only advantage is that they're a cheap option for going to 144hz etc.

The Dell IPS I had was great for colors.

VA is just as good and also can go to 144hz; I've got an Acer Predator Z271 I picked up for $250 usd total off ebay currently and it's fantastic. I'm even a fan of the gsync. Granted I probably wouldn't have paid the full price ($600~ without tax)
    hehe well I'm glad you're enjoying it. G-Sync was a premium feature for a premium price! Let's hope it's new support on Freesync monitors will work as intended. So we could buy much better IPS-Panels cheaper and using it

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Quite honestly, the whole "gaming" thing is a sham as far as I'm concerned. I've always been a very heavy and very competitive gamer. I've been as high as LEM on CSGO (top 5% of the playerbase), Platinum on League of Legends (top 10% or maybe even less) and in the top 0.1% of PUBG ladder. I can say with confidence, that I can play pretty much to the 90-95% of my level regardless of how slow my monitor is and I've played on some really slow ones. One of my old IPS monitors ghosted very noticeably when I played CSS back in 2006. But at no point did it actually significantly hamper me. The truth is, gaming is 95% down to your skill and decision-making in game. It will almost never be about getting information on your screen 5 milliseconds faster. Hell, even with a 20 millisecond delay. One of my favorite games ever was Gunz: The Duel which was incredibly fast paced and required precision, ping leading, and fast monitor response. I was still very good.

On the other hand, the difference between a bad TN panel and even a decent IPS monitor is almost immediately noticeable. As in you can tell the difference instantly by switching monitors. Response times and high refresh rates monitors? That takes a lot more time to tell and specific conditions to actually notice. Having a fast panel is certainly an edge in gaming, but not much. If a person is determined to get better or to get to the topic of the ladder, there are so many more things they should be doing before even touching their monitor. I'd argue that your mouse, keyboard, and headset take far more precedence over your monitor. I'd add good Internet to that as well actually. For a monitor, I'd definitely prioritize your actual PC performance, and visual quality, over the "speed" of your monitor.

I've always ignored the response times (esp. 1-5 ms) because of nystagmus I don't think I could ever tell the difference. I've been more concerned with just making sure what is on the screen at any one time is represented in the best possible way in regards to color and contrast and brightness.

This is some of my concern with the Dell monitor. Again, i think it is a great monitor and i like that it is 2x HDMI, but the glossy screen and the lack of modification to saturation or hue in blue mode kinda bothers me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12