Thread: Effect of adding min_delay to cavalry unit

Civis

Icon5 Effect of adding min_delay to cavalry unit

In one mod that I’m researching (picking into) I see that they have different values for the stat_pri min_delay, especially for cavalry units. Wondering what effect it has on the efficiency of a cavalry unit,
    I pitted two similar spec cavalry units—similar except that one has 0 delay and other has 160 delay—then faced them again with both units being given by me, 0 delay. The results for both tests were pretty much the same with the winner being either one, or whoever managed to kill more on the initial charge. Pretty inconclusive, I’d say, on what effect min_delay has on the efficiency of the unit.

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter? I know that setting min_delay higher for infantry will make them fight worse but that doesn’t seem to be happening for cavalry units. Why would the modder do this?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Effect of adding min_delay to cavalry unit

Do you mean Darth mod? Darth Vader (a modder) mentioned that he thought adjusting min delay helped the ai group units together.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Civis

Hello Z3n, thanks again for replying to my post. No I wasn't referring to Darthmod but it's possible that the modder borrowed those ideas for their own mod. The mod I'm referring to is Maksimus' "Alexander EB."

Do you know more about what was mentioned by Darth? Has any other modder confirmed Darth's findings? Just to be clear, we are talking about min_delay (the 1/10th second attack animation delay) not stat_fire_delay, right?
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

Oh for min delay -- according to Aradan
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...uide-%28WIP%29

1. [min_delay] : Minimum delay between weapon attacks, measured in 1/10 of seconds. It is the minimum time allowed between the beginning of an attacking animation and the beginning of the next one. It only applies to foot melee skeletons.
    He specifies that its for infantry (foot) melee only.
    Last edited by z3n; November 26, 2018 at 05:43 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Civis

So min_delay on cavalry has nothing to do with the ai?
    ----- ---------

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    So min_delay on cavalry has nothing to do with the ai?
    Well, I don't think it really does.

I do tend to believe unit stats along with the classification (specifically) help the AI understand how to group and use units more. In fact, in one mod the creator gave general units a fake projectile in order to keep them at range instead of charging headlong into pikemen.

So unit stats can influence and affect the AI, it's more a matter of thinking about how to use them in certain ways. Or specifically having classes of units which all have the exact same stats with no differentiation. That may play a role in how the AI calculates unit strength vs another unit strength. It is less math for it.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Civis

I agree that visible unit stats and attributes--the ones that can be seen through in-game interaction and from unit descriptions--have an effect on the ai. I have seen the ai react differently to a player unit that is lesser than, equal to, and superior in raw combat stats, respectively; however, I don't think that hidden stats (lethality, min_delay, radius, etc.) are taken into account, or at least, I haven't witnessed it.

Thanks for the chat. I see now that the modder's decision to give delay to cavalry was probably a misunderstanding of game mechanics on their part.
    ----- ---------