Thread: The Coen Brothers

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ectasy of Potatoes
    Content Emeritus

Default The Coen Brothers

I was just going to make a thread about The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, but I figured I may as well make a thread about the Coen Brothers in general.

So have any of you seen The Ballad of Buster Scruggs? Its on Netflix at the moment and its basically 6 short films set during the American Frontier era.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Near Algodones
    Meal Ticket
    All Gold Canyon
    The Gal Who Got Rattled
    The Mortal Remains

I really liked 1, 2, 4 and 6. The tone shifts dramatically from each story, with some being dark comedies whilst others are full of existentialism dialogue.

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The Coen Brothers

Yup, I've seen The ballad of Buster Scruggs. Very enjoyable. Such amazing landscapes! Such fine stories!

My favourite stories would be All Gold Canyon because Tom Waits is just so enjoyable and The Gal Who Got Rattled because of the sadness of the story and the majesty of that war party.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Generally a fan of the Coen’s specifically the earlier movies. Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski (once drank White Russian till I was sick, not recommended). And I did really enjoy their True Grit remake. Though it’s not as good as the original. Didn’t really like No country for old men, just didn’t get into, maybe that’s worth another look.

Didn’t get past the first Buster Scruggs story. Being a bigger fan of westerns than of the Coen’s, the singing cowboy theme is a turn off for me...

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Generally a fan of the Coen’s specifically the earlier movies. Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski (once drank White Russian till I was sick, not recommended). And I did really enjoy their True Grit remake. Though it’s not as good as the original. Didn’t really like No country for old men, just didn’t get into, maybe that’s worth another look.

Didn’t get past the first Buster Scruggs story. Being a bigger fan of westerns than of the Coen’s, the singing cowboy theme is a turn off for me...
    I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible, but the very first story is the only singing cowboy one.

Near Algodones is about an unlucky criminal
    Meal Ticket is about a legless armless thespian in the show business
    All Gold Canyon is about Tom Waits as a gold prospector
    The Gal Who Got Rattled is about a woman travelling to Oklahoma (or Ohio? something like that)
    The Mortal Remains is about 5 people having a conversation in a carriage

Flinn's Avatar All hail the Dude-hotep!
    Content Director Citizen Gaming Staff

Did anyone say The Big Lebowsky?

I'm not very expert about them other than for TBL, but anyways I also liked their "Hail, Cesar"; in general I think one has to approach their works with a very light heart.. they somewhat remind me when as lads we were playing D&D and were always trying to make funny things out of the regual game, if you get what I mean....

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984; of the Imperial House of Hader

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Whatever, guys! We all know that their best film was The Ladykillers (2004). You guys just don't want to admit it.

Joking aside, The Big Lebowski is a masterpiece. I was very angry with a friend of mine who fell asleep during it, because he's a stuffy little prick who doesn't appreciate good cinema. Should have kicked his ass for that! How dare he not like the stuff I like!

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Try to watch the other stories, Halie Satanus. They are really good, and more in line with 'traditional' westerns.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder (retired)
    Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth

The Coen Brothers belong to my favourite film makers. No doubt, they are objectively genies among the American directors, producers, etc..
    # Climate Change is not just a Global Warming but a Global Desaster NASA: Climate Change
    # Human impact has a name: Anthropocene
    # Support ICAN International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
    # MIT study: Fake News/Twitter, "Falsehoods Win"
    # Speaking of the west: Nowadays, fascists and latent fascists believe of themselves they are not fascist, because nationalism-chauvinism-racism-xenophoby becomes once again socially acceptable: The destruction of civil society. Religious fundamentalism, fanatism, hypocrisy, prejudice, discrimination, segregation and incitement to hatred goes hand in hand with this societal sickness, which only started with a public moral decay and web hatestorms a la nazi-zombies unleashed, preparing mob-law, culture war and possibly even civil war. We see the barbaric mind re-erect pseudo-democracies, which are on the way to fascist totalitarian states. And if TWC had a Neo-Fascisto-Meter it would ring loud.
    # Origin of modern (pseudo-scientific supported) racism: Human Zoos
    # Total War Modding Contribution Overview
    The Witcher 3 - Lore Friendly Tweaks

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Whatever, guys! We all know that their best film was The Ladykillers (2004). You guys just don't want to admit it.
    That was a pointless remake of an pretty perfect film.

@Cal/LaMuerte

Might go back to it... Probably not though...

I also like fargo very much. The Film and the series specially.

the_mango55's Avatar Reppin the Religious Left

I watched part of Buster Scruggs today.

Loved the first two, the third was so boring I just had to stop.

I'll come back to it later and skip to the fourth.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen CarnesÓr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    I watched part of Buster Scruggs today.

Loved the first two, the third was so boring I just had to stop.

I'll come back to it later and skip to the fourth.
    semi spoilers for the third and fifth part of Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    idk whether this counts as a spoiler, but personally the third and fifth story only really get good in the last few minutes. They're both really slow burns, and I didn't really like them either.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519

Funny. I thought the third was the best of the lot. The second IMHO was the least interesting.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -