Thread: Does non-starting generals rank actually increase?

Default Does non-starting generals rank actually increase?

So it been awhile since I played this mod since I been playing and following since the very beginning,
    so I am not super familiar with some of the mechanic, but for the ranks even if I win battles and they get
    +1 to authority, but it doesn't actually stick just vanish afterward, and I didn't see the rank actually increases.
    Would be nice if we can recruit generic generals and have them rank up.

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Does non-starting generals rank actually increase?

If you are talking about "command stars";
    Its my understanding, after talking with the devs, that command stars do not work the way they usually work, in this particular mod.
    Basically, don't use Command Stars as a way of determining which generals are best at what. (Command Star stats can fluctuate from very high to non-existent in the space of one turn, apart from of any obvious cause.) *at least in my experience.
    From what I understand, this has really no impact on their performance, and you need to rely more on their overall stats listed.

Each general, either your starting generals, un-aligned, or that come-of-age, ect... get a (random?) amount of potential. (look at their stats, near the bottom)
    This potential is how much they can improve their stats in their lifetime. (This includes most or all stats listed.)
    So, some more notorious/famous generals(according to history), can start as very good over-all, but may have little potential to improve their stats. Whereas some generals, may start with lower stats(over-all), but have a greater potential/ability to "rank-up", in one or more of their stats.

This potential allows "improvement" to be made to ANY stat. So, for instance, they may improve their "leadership" stat, by doing/not-doing something, and this will subtract from their overall Potential.

This allows for historic accuracy to a point, at least in the beginning, and allows a bit of flexibility as they progress through the campaign.

However; there are some generals, with low stats(overall), that can have very low potential as well.

The devs may be able to explain this better, as my understanding of this may be flawed.

Have a look at this thread to see what the devs say about this.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-pun-intended)
    Last edited by Otterbear; November 21, 2018 at 02:10 PM.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Does non-starting generals rank actually increase?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesegrader View Post
    So it been awhile since I played this mod since I been playing and following since the very beginning,
    so I am not super familiar with some of the mechanic, but for the ranks even if I win battles and they get
    +1 to authority, but it doesn't actually stick just vanish afterward, and I didn't see the rank actually increases.
    Would be nice if we can recruit generic generals and have them rank up.
    Ranks don’t increase from winning battles, they increase from the amount of settlements the faction controls.

I have added ranks/titles for “generic” characters for the 3.0 release, however they will not increase (unless they become one of the Nine Ministers or, as heir or leader, become King or Emperor). The reason is because these generic titles are a pool, if you will, not assigned to a specific character or faction. For example, Zhang Liao’s ranks are assigned specifically to his biography trait, which is unique only to him. Then there are triggers to increase his rank dependent upon the number of settlements the faction controls, in addition to different factions he could be a part of (Cao Clan, Yanzhou). So the best we can do for generic officers is to give them a rank/title that they keep with them and not increase, unless they fall into the two exceptions noted above.