Thread: Problems with running mods on Steam

Miles

Default Problems with running mods on Steam

For some reason, I've been having massive problems on getting any sort of mod for Rome:TW Barbabrian Invasion to run on Steam. Mostly what would happen is that I would get a ctd, on the very first slide, displaying an error message saying that some stuff regarding settlements is missing such as for example the underlay for a barbarian large city. So far I've been able to bypass this ctd by replacing the settlement_plans in the mod folder with the one found the vanilla bi folder, however even then I would still get a ctd every time when I try to load a battle or campaign with error messages saying that things like a tree or unit model cannot be found or a vertex buffer cannot be destroyed. As of right now, I'm absolutely stumped on why this happening, I've tried running on batch files and edited the launch options to run the mods but it still kept crashing. So far the only reasons I've been able to think of why this is happening is that either many mods for Rome Total War have become corrupted over the years, my installation of the game had somehow been botched even though I reinstalled today or that some recent update to the Steam version have made many mods unplayable.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: Problems with running mods on Steam

You can fix the CTD by verifying game cache in Steam.

As for using mods, are you sure you installed a mod correctly?

Because it's likely that the mod itself has an issue e.g missing resource file like the model you mention.

Do you have a link for that mod?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Miles

Tried to verify the game integrity, and it came out all fine, with no missing files
    For the mods that I've been trying to get working here is a list of them. So far I tried to install them correctly by directly placing the mod folders in the bi folder rather than extract the folder to another location and then place it into the bi folder.
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/viking-invasion-ii
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/arthurian
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/norman-invasion
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ATION-DOWNLOAD
    Last edited by RandomPerson2000; November 17, 2018 at 04:18 PM.

Hmm... I suspect that the mods you're trying to work together could be incompatible, but I'm not sure, so you may need to ask the authors or the mod teams for those mods. Perhaps you have luck there than me.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Miles

As of today I tried to get one of the mods working by their own but I still received the same ctds, so perhaps that due to the fact that most of these mods I've shown above are at least more than half a decade old, I presume that some of their installers or files may have corrupted but anyways thanks for the help you've provided.

Civis

Older mods, that use RTW or BI as their base, aren't compatible with the Steam version of said games. Only Alexander works, unfortunately. The reason has to do with the end-of-Gamespy patch that took out Gamespy services from RTW and BI. Alex is unaffected.

As far as I know, only a CD version of RTW/BI will work with these mods. I've tried everything (even no-cd exes) to get the Steam version to work, but only a fresh CD version install worked.

Amazon link to CD version
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 18, 2018 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Illegal part removed

Miles

Just wondering when did the end-of- Gamespy patch came out as if I do recall I was able to play the mods just fine, several years after Gamepsy services shut down by editing the launch options to some like this -nm -show_err -mod:bi\"name of mod folder". Also I suspect the game is confused on where the mod folder is despite it being in the bi folder, looking from error messages that display something like this \"name of mod folder"/ and that the files it claims are missing are actually not.

Edit
    Looking at barbarian_large_city.txt, the direction for which the underlay is meant to be has slashes(/) instead of backslashes(\), so perhaps its because of this, the game is getting in where some stuff in the mod actually is.
    Last edited by RandomPerson2000; November 17, 2018 at 07:53 PM.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

@RandomPerson2000 Have you tried moving your base game out of programs(x86) ++++/steamapps/common into a renamed "new folder" in your c:/drive or documents then adding the mod? also when installing a mod try "run as admin" when possible too...@OJ33DA if you have a nocd version you don't need steam, also the Amazon CD versions are nearly always steam keys these days, their ads can be a bit misleading, ebay may be a better idea for disks although they maybe unused "used" if you get my meaning, but yet again many are steam keys there too
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; November 17, 2018 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Miles

Just moved the base game to a new folder I created and renamed in the C drive although the executable path still directs to steam and I'm not exactly sure how to change the path of an executable file.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    Older mods, that use RTW or BI as their base, aren't compatible with the Steam version of said games. Only Alexander works, unfortunately. The reason has to do with the end-of-Gamespy patch that took out Gamespy services from RTW and BI. Alex is unaffected.

As far as I know, only a CD version of RTW/BI will work with these mods. I've tried everything (even no-cd exes) to get the Steam version to work, but only a fresh CD version install worked.
    Are you sure about Steam?

I installed VI2 v1.7 in a Steam installation of RTW-Gold a while back and today I launched VI2 and got a script error.

Last edited by Leonardo; November 18, 2018 at 07:53 AM.

Miles

Surprisingly I was finally able to get a mod for Barbarian invasion to work without any initial ctds by placing a copy of the mod folder into the bi folder and another copy into the main Rome Total War Gold folder, this is where I had gotten this solution from.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...arian-Invasion