Thread: New Seleucid campaign

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Default New Seleucid campaign

Hello. I am playing as the seleucids and I am wondering about tackling corruption. Currently I am bleeding over 21k a turn due to corruption. Most provinces seem to be maxed out (1200 mnai a turn) and many buildings though providing a law bonus seem to fail to reduce this value at all (In Halicarnassus only the the fortification building lowers corruption. Temple of Zeus does nothing). Any tips on how to tackle corruption?
    And since we are at it and my time is not as abundant as when I played EB 1 (which I must have well over 1k hours in), what is the best building order in settlements? What should I focus on? I already spotted an error on my opening in that I didn't build mines in a couple of settlements. That would have added a couple of mnai to my coffers though half of it would be lost to corruption again... But what is the best strategy? I don't like to build granaries early on until I am basically forced to do so due to lowered agricultural output but it seems that a couple of towns need them in order to maintain growth. Honestly, so many buildings cancel other buildings out I struggle to see a more viable strategy and that is not necessarily a good thing imho.

Also, loving the mod but it has a different feel to EB 1. It is a shame that more people are playing Rome II than this mod. Though I have a campaign in DEI going and although I love certain things that Rome 2 brings to the table, the strategic map lacks a lot of what made Rome and Medieval 2 some of the best strategy games around.

Default Re: New Seleucid campaign

The best way to reduce corruption is to move your capital around. Towns that are very far from your capital get big negatives because of the distance (from my point of view, I would not do it if it is an historical capital for that faction) but you can try to find the best place for your capital.

Temples (and other buildings) with Law Bonus are the best against corruption.

Have good FMs/generals governing the cities.

Take caution: Enemy spies cause mass unrest and corruption when inside your cities. Station your own spies to combat that.

Rebel armies in your regions contribute to the increasing of corruption.

Check my thread on tips for new players, on the comments you will find a guide there about settlements

It has a different feel to EB1 because we're not trying to simply recreate EB1 in a different engine. A lot of the gameplay goals are completely different.

Typical Seleucid start you need to readjust your garrisons in Asia to avoid some early revolts. If you go with the ideal scheme, you'll only have one settlement on your frontier which is still going to enter unrest next turn. You should empty your treasury immediately to build more troops; build them wherever you face a public order crisis. Soldiers are always a higher priority than buildings. Many antique rulers could never even build a building, or at best they would build ONE, a capstone of their entire life achievement. You are Augustus, or some kind of phenomenal emperor, if you build a series of many different buildings inside your realm.

Don't ever leave any money in your treasury. That represents stagnation. You should mint, mint, mint - that icon for the finances screen? That's a coin, that represents you stamping new coins into existence with your ing face on them as a commodity made from your political, cultural, and religious gravitas. Empty your treasury every turn. You'll make the money back by defeating Ptolemy in the West.

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Thanks for all the advice. I dis
    D most of it already and I still struggle with corruption. I will try spies next and then making more of an effort to clear rebel armies. One thing that baffled me was that in some settlements, building a temple to Zeus does not decrease corruption though I can see it increases law. What does that mean?

I am currently smashing the ptolomies to pieces. Got Asia minor already and now I just need Sardis and an army is lready pushing South. After conqiering Sardis that second army will join them.

Quote Originally Posted by mAIOR View Post
    building a temple to Zeus does not decrease corruption though I can see it increases law. What does that mean?
    I think it means the corruption does lower but still doesnt dipp under the 1200 treshhold.
    Last edited by ramsesii; November 16, 2018 at 01:43 AM.
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesii View Post
    I think it means the corruption does lower but still doesnt dipp under the 1200 treshhold.
    Building the strategic fortifications building does lower it though. And it is the same 5% bonus. Could it be that strategic fortifications lower the max corruption threshold? Interesting. Also, where can I find more info on corruption sources? I knew spies caused unrest and rebels caused devastation. Do they now cause corruption too?

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Just had a massive upset where my royal army defected while besieging Jerusalem which the ptolomies sneakily took back. Now I have about 8k income XD. Might try to resist like this for a while (do have another army I just created) so I can build at least two mines.

Corruption is just one of those things you have to live with. It was an essential element in ancient times - think of how many hands "tax revenues" passed through before winding up in the treasury. And everybody took their cut. Distance to capital and law will help, but nothing makes it go away. Don't fixate on how much money is being "lost". Just look at the treasury report, check your expected balance, and try to keep it positive. Big armies will suck up as much or more money than corruption, so try to minimize them.

I've just finished a series of long running Seleukid campaigns and money was never a problem once I got those mines built and stopped paying for elephants and big fleets.
    EBII Council

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Yeah. I need those mines. Fleet and elephants are long gone. But it feels that even though I conquered 5 settlements I am making the same ammount of cash. I am clearing rebels to lower devastation as that is a big rain as well. And i tried to take that rebel nomadic camp and it immediatly gave me a close defeat result without any casualties.

Quote Originally Posted by mAIOR View Post
    Building the strategic fortifications building does lower it though. And it is the same 5% bonus. Could it be that strategic fortifications lower the max corruption threshold? Interesting. Also, where can I find more info on corruption sources? I knew spies caused unrest and rebels caused devastation. Do they now cause corruption too?
    Strat fort tier two also lowers farming income thus less income so less corruption

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesii View Post
    Strat fort tier two also lowers farming income thus less income so less corruption

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    But dont they boost income provided by trade and roads ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    But dont they boost income provided by trade and roads ?
    Yes, but trade is often less lucrative than farming so the total income is lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilkku92 View Post
    Yes, but trade is often less lucrative than farming so the total income is lower.
    Only at the start.