Thread: Trade issues

Default Trade issues

Into turn 70 with he bei faction and my economy seems to have colapsed. I had Bei Ping producing 5k and Nan Pi and Ye producing 4k and there was a ton of trade cart animations along most of my roads. Recently took Qingzhou territory and my cities economies droped by half. Anyone else experience this?

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Trade issues

The 'diminished returns' effect on trade has been in the mod since beta. Its effects have lessened by increasing the value of resources and not affecting towns, only city size and above.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

So to mitigate this, i would need to disband some of my stacks? I was planning to go against the 15 stacks Cao Cao has with 5 stacks of elites and Wuhan/xianbie armies but having to defend the western front with 2 stacks I might not have enough money to take 5 stacks to the central plains.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Increasing tax rate and improving farms, roads, ports, and mines, as well as trade agreements, can help too.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

I would also strongly suggest not trying to "adjust" these income issues in the mod by yourself or you could end up with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cao Cao.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	658.9 KB 
ID:	355848

That looks terrible! I only would mess with it so it doesn't limit the players economy as it seems the computer is just given infinite money anyways. My economy was doing great until turn 70 when all my cities halved their income, but I think seether explained that making all my towns into cities probably messed with my income.

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

Hmm, maybe I didn't screw things up as badly as I supposed. Due to the flaw in the original M2TW code, the AI has issues with how they spend their money, and on what. Most mods have to try various ways to keep them from going bankrupt by scripting them money in the form of the "Kings Purse". As its nearly impossible, or seriously difficult at best, to create code that can even attempt to approximate a factions total army size(apparently there is no modifiable or usable variable available outside the compiled code, for total army strength.) You can end up in these situations if the AI has no enemies to keep them in check. So, if they go for long periods without anything "Culling the herd" you get the situation pictured. (I'm not entirely sure which scenario created that terrible picture,...My meddling with income bonuses, or a long period of inactivity on the part of Cao Cao's particular faction.) I believe the devs are working on an issue where some AI factions rarely go to war, so this may be fixed in the final release.

I seriously dislike the merchant mechanic. More specifically the way they can "off" each other based on a dice-roll. Yea, the dice are loaded a bit, but there is still no reliable way of keeping decent merchants alive. So, I usually do some "tinkering" with the income bonuses on most mods so that I don't have to much trouble with money.

I'm about 100 turns in, on an un-molested version or ROTK, and I have noticed the drop in income you mentioned. *Drastic enough to make me curtail any unit production, and/or building, for several turns now, so, I'm beginning to feel your pain.
    Add to that, a half-stack of inept governors, and I have a bit of work to do, if I want to stay on top. I've got about 7 cities, and 5 have dockyards.
    I'm hoping I don't have to tighten my belt too much, or I risk being steam-rolled by factions like Cao Cao.

The other option of course, would be to actually get competent at playing this game. I've only been working on that for 7 years or so, so, I think I may get it down before I die. :X
    Last edited by Otterbear; November 14, 2018 at 11:02 PM.

I seriously dislike the merchant mechanic. More specifically the way they can "off" each other based on a dice-roll. Yea, the dice are loaded a bit, but there is still no reliable way of keeping decent merchants alive. So, I usually do some "tinkering" with the income bonuses on most mods so that I don't have to much trouble with money.
    Many have felt this. As such, when it was discovered that it is possible to protect your merchants, many jumped on it. The secret in the default game is to either stack them with a troop placed on a trade resource, or with a carefully placed fort with a troop inside it to keep it from vanishing. This also has the benefit of letting multiple traders trade the same thing and enemy traders can't mess with troops or buildings. The risk is with troops without a general or a general with low loyalty defecting and thus losing the merchants stacked on them.

In mods, whether this is possible varies. Here, you can't place forts on trade resources.

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodly View Post
    Many have felt this. As such, when it was discovered that it is possible to protect your merchants, many jumped on it. The secret in the default game is to either stack them with a troop placed on a trade resource, or with a carefully placed fort with a troop inside it to keep it from vanishing. This also has the benefit of letting multiple traders trade the same thing and enemy traders can't mess with troops or buildings. The risk is with troops without a general or a general with low loyalty defecting and thus losing the merchants stacked on them.

In mods, whether this is possible varies. Here, you can't place forts on trade resources.
    Yea.
    So, I don't loose to much sleep, due to my "tinkering" or "cheating" in order to avoid this issue.
    Some popular mods have created imaginative ways of getting around using Merchants all-together.
    However, it is very possible, due to the exhaustive and extensive scripting of this particular mod, that creating a "work-around" for the merchant mechanic, may have undesired and detrimental effects on over-all game-play stability, turn-times, ect...

In any case, it can be fixed on my end, with a bit of "tinkering" or outright cheating.
    Unfortunately, for players who do not have the modding skills to alleviate this issue, it may be a bit of a pain.

Due to the very professional and exhaustive nature of this great mod, and the fact that they have far more modding skill than I ever will. I leave that decision in their very capable hands.