Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great War VI - Uniform/UI Update

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default The Great War VI - Uniform/UI Update

Today marks the 100th anniversary of the end of World War 1 and to commemorate the Armistice we are releasing another update. In this update we will focus on the new uniform and equipment models for France. This also includes new unit cards and info cards.

New Unit and Info Cards

The new uniform and equipment models are such a massive change from the original versions we decided it was time to create new unit and info cards for every unit. This is by far the most time consuming part of the update, a large amount of work goes into just a single unit and we have many many units. In fact by the time we are finished we will have one of the largest collections of historical WW1 uniforms in the world.

Here are the new units cards for France

Here is a collection of info cards for these units

For a detailed look at a few of these models up close visit the post on Moddb here https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great...iformui-update

Screenshots

Last edited by B-DizL; November 11, 2018 at 10:34 PM.

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Default Re: The Great War VI - Uniform/UI Update

Amazing +rep
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

Looks great but, where i can download this ?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by adrians38 View Post
    Looks great but, where i can download this ?
    You can download the current version by clicking on the link in the my signature. This new version isnt out yet.

Any news about update release ?? All its looking so great.

Bdizl,are you planning to show us some pictures of german,austrian,russian? (or is it a surprise ?)

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by adrians38 View Post
    Any news about update release ?? All its looking so great.
    Its still a few months away, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by elinath View Post
    Bdizl,are you planning to show us some pictures of german,austrian,russian? (or is it a surprise ?)
    At some point yeah, the next update will probably be another campaign map update tho.

bk2-modder's Avatar Libertus

Makes me glad to see that one of my favorite Total War mods of all time will once again get better. Looking great!

Also, if you'd like, I can take a look at the possibility of working on a Middle-East campaign if you already at least have a functional startpos.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by bk2-modder View Post
    Makes me glad to see that one of my favorite Total War mods of all time will once again get better. Looking great!

Also, if you'd like, I can take a look at the possibility of working on a Middle-East campaign if you already at least have a functional startpos.
    That would be awesome if you could help with the middle eastern campaign. I have a mock up startpos done as a reference but i still need to create the factions BEF, Arab revolt and the Senussi before i can fully complete the startpos. The biggest road block at this point is the faction selection screen, the middle eastern campaign doesnt have one as you can only play as france.

To get around that i was thinking the launcher could be used as the faction selection screen by just selecting a different startpos depending on which faction you choose. Im not sure if that will work but so far its the best option I think. Sadly Mitch isnt around the forums anymore and he was the one who coded the launcher. However my brother is a software developer and might be able to help me figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    That would be awesome if you could help with the middle eastern campaign. I have a mock up startpos done as a reference but i still need to create the factions BEF, Arab revolt and the Senussi before i can fully complete the startpos. The biggest road block at this point is the faction selection screen, the middle eastern campaign doesnt have one as you can only play as france.

To get around that i was thinking the launcher could be used as the faction selection screen by just selecting a different startpos depending on which faction you choose. Im not sure if that will work but so far its the best option I think. Sadly Mitch isnt around the forums anymore and he was the one who coded the launcher. However my brother is a software developer and might be able to help me figure it out.
    What's the chances of Mitch coming back? What happend to him?

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Very nice!

I have followed this mod for a couple of years and I really enjoyed a lot of the gameplay.

I wanted to ask a couple of quick questions:

1) Have you managed to iron out the in-battle crashes? I remember back in 2015 when I was playing games using this mod that the game would generally crash during artillery barrages, or basically at any time where there was a lot of gunfire. I remember I attempted to play around with the sound settings to help prevent this.

2) Have you implemented any battle AI improvements - I remember that often armies would stand on the defensive even when they had no artillery, and it would be very easy to simply shoot them off the map. While this is good for a 'trench warfare' scenario, it seemed far too easy to just make sure I had four units of arty per army and sit back and shell the enemy for half an hour. Perhaps limiting artillery ammunition may be an option, but I am not sure if that is possible in Napoleon.

If the launcher situation could be sorted out, the Middle Eastern Campaign could operate the way the ACW mod for Empire does; both the CSA and USA replace Britain depending on which campaign you load up, so in this case you would just do the same but load up pack files to replace France with whatever faction. Didn't HusserlTW make a launcher creation tool some time back?

I've tried to use the NTF Middle East startpos with TGW to see if I could work from there, but I always CTD whenever trying to launch any faction, even unedited.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by bk2-modder View Post
    If the launcher situation could be sorted out, the Middle Eastern Campaign could operate the way the ACW mod for Empire does; both the CSA and USA replace Britain depending on which campaign you load up, so in this case you would just do the same but load up pack files to replace France with whatever faction. Didn't HusserlTW make a launcher creation tool some time back?

I've tried to use the NTF Middle East startpos with TGW to see if I could work from there, but I always CTD whenever trying to launch any faction, even unedited.

I was thinking of something similar to that for selecting what faction to play as. Using france as the sole playable faction and changing them to BEF, Ottomans and Arab revolt would also require new pack files for each iteration right? Would it be possible to make each faction as they should be and just make them all playable then allow you to choose which one to play as from the launcher so that i wouldnt have to recreate the factions using france for each one?

It probably crashes because the Middle Eastern Campaign factions are separate from the main campaign factions by having egy_ in front of their faction name.

I was thinking of something similar to that for selecting what faction to play as. Using france as the sole playable faction and changing them to BEF, Ottomans and Arab revolt would also require new pack files for each iteration right? Would it be possible to make each faction as they should be and just make them all playable then allow you to choose which one to play as from the launcher so that i wouldnt have to recreate the factions using france for each one?

It probably crashes because the Middle Eastern Campaign factions are separate from the main campaign factions by having egy_ in front of their faction name.
    You'd have to change any DB Lines referencing the faction that you would want to be playable to instead be France with all the associated facets of whatever faction was chosen. The pack files would have to be separate, yes. Unfortunately, this method requires pack files for each faction, and a separate startpos for each that would see them replacing france.

If it were possible to avoid using france for each faction, then a working startpos would already exist that would allow for those factions to be selected. Whenever I have time after finals week, I'll probably take a look at trying to finagle the NTF startpos, and if that doesn't work, any Middle East campaign would simply have to take the France-packfile-replace method.

Patrician

Ah ok thats makes sense. I guess if i export the tables as tsv files i can copy and paste alot of the info which should save some time.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Discontent Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TheBryMan View Post
    What's the chances of Mitch coming back? What happend to him?
    Terminal case of getting hired by CA.

Patrician

He has ascended.

Hey B-Dizl,Maybe a new update soon?

Do you have some news for us about progress?

It looks nice but how did you have the FT-17 (french tanks) ? Is it for the next release ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast