Thread: Campaign AI - Hard or Very Hard?

Default Campaign AI - Hard or Very Hard?

I know the usual suggestion is Hard CAI, however, I tried it and found it too passive. VH CAI seems to be a bit more agressive, they send more diplomats to my cities, their armies lurk around trying to see a weak spot. They still do diplomatic agreements and tend to be loyal. The only big difference is with battles on auto, I usually auto-resolve against rebel armies and they tend to destroy my armies rather easy.

But I have seen other players say that VH CAI messes with the AI (and sometimes makes it easier for the player).
    So lets try to reach a common ground on what is the best difficulty for the player!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!
    Artifex

Default Re: Campaign AI - Hard or Very Hard?

For me, the CAI is not aggressive enough even at Very Hard, but iirc the team considers it to be just perfect - so I need to play really weak factions to have more fun (eg. Pergamon seems to be very easy at VH).

The CAI is no smarter on Very Hard, just more aggressive. Which is often its own undoing, since it fragments and over-extends itself worse than on Hard.
    It began on seven hills - a historical house-ruled Romani AAR
    Heirs to Lysimachos - a semi-historical Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR
    Philetairos' Gift - a second attempt at an Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Civis

The best way to aggro the AI is to start a war, assassinate their generals, sabotage their buildings, or other ways that annoy the AI. Even on VH, if you don’t do anything aggressive, try to maintain alliances, and generally maintain a strong army, don’t expect the AI to attack you.

No, the best way to get the AI to attack you is to leave your provinces which border theirs with weak garrisons.
    It began on seven hills - a historical house-ruled Romani AAR
    Heirs to Lysimachos - a semi-historical Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR
    Philetairos' Gift - a second attempt at an Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    For me, the CAI is not aggressive enough even at Very Hard, but iirc the team considers it to be just perfect - so I need to play really weak factions to have more fun (eg. Pergamon seems to be very easy at VH).
    Well, i never played with Pergamon but wouldn't think they were an easy faction since they only have one city

Quintus do you think putting the campaign on VH is that ineffective for the AI? I played with the sub mod alternative battles and I almost never saw the AI fragmenting its armies. Assassinate generals and sabotage buildings is something a player should never do, its to much power against the AI x) And the best way is like Quintus said, leaving the border provinces with weak garrisons