Thread: Is the economy slow in this mod? Playing elves for the first time in this mod.

Default Is the economy slow in this mod? Playing elves for the first time in this mod.

I'm thinking of playing one of the elves for this mod, but I heard that it's really hard to field multiple stacks in this mod. Is this true? If so, I'd love some tips and advice regarding the establishment of a good economy. I especially want to know if I should first build up my infrastructure or go attack as much as possible at the start.

I don't want to be struggling for gold and I'd like to upgrade my units quickly. Thank you!

I have also heard of the DaC mod, what is different about that mod and this mod? Does DaC have better economy? Thanks!
    Dear CA,

Please gives us the ability to fire by rank! Line one, line two, line three!

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Is the economy slow in this mod? Playing elves for the first time in this mod.

Yes, it's even uneasy to field one true stack of elves.

Quote Originally Posted by busa View Post
    I don't want to be struggling for gold and I'd like to upgrade my units quickly.
    I fear you should not play elf then. Or you'll have to play them like orcs, if so it's better to play Warhammer mod.
    Last edited by Vifarc; November 10, 2018 at 07:48 AM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Default Re: Is the economy slow in this mod? Playing elves for the first time in this mod.

Third Age was created for experienced Medieval 2 players, it is quite difficult, especially if you come straight from vanilla. There are ways to remove a few scripts that the AI get, however. The elves, in vanilla, can be quite versatile, if you turtle the west side of your empire, you can build up quite the economy. Make sure to move your capital from Rivendell to the west side (something like Mithlond should do it), that should reduce corruption significantly. It really depends how you play, aggressive may pay off due to the extra tax.. but with bigger borders, you need a bigger army.

However, if you do turtle, and the Dwarves are having a good game against the orcs in the north, and you don't mind some "exploiting", you could gather up all of your general units and send them down to the coast of Harad (mainly Umbar) to raid. You send them via boat, besiege the city, hopefully they sally out due to their numerical advantage and, if played correctly, you should be able to kill them all with repeated charges. If its just a few units, that is. You can then sack the city, and sell it to another faction (preferably the richest in the game) for about 20k or so. If you really have no honour at all, and don't mind absolutely destroying your reputation, you can always attack the city and then sack it again. Although.. I do believe in vanilla TATW that the AI gets units in cities you sell them, so it may not work. But if it does.. hey, that's possibly another few thousand from the sacking and 20k or so from selling it.
    Then you can repeat this for inland Harad. It has saved some of my Gondor campaigns from certain disaster, so may be worth a shot.

As for DAC, it changes the game quite a lot but does get rid of some of the scripted benefits the AI gets. The garrison script still exists, but, in my expierence, it feels much more realistic and balanced. It also splits up the High Elves, one faction for Imladris and one for Lindon. Lindon is quite easy, and is almost a tutorial, in a sense. If you really just want to turtle, save up money, and kill some orcs with upgraded elves, i'd download DAC. Although vanilla too has it charm, of course.
    Last edited by frotxy; November 10, 2018 at 07:14 PM.

Hmm. I will try DaC then. I really want more stacks.
    Dear CA,

Please gives us the ability to fire by rank! Line one, line two, line three!

chriskourou's Avatar Semisalis

Well which elves do u play ?

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Discussions about DAC should take place in the DaC forum, please start a thread there if you want to do that.

As this discussion seems to have achieved its goal, I will close it.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze