Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: CNN's Jim Acosta banned from White House after heated exchange with Trump, falsely accused of laying hands on woman

selder's Avatar Senator

Default Re: CNN's Jim Acosta banned from White House after heated exchange with Trump, falsely accused of laying hands on woman

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Uh no. They can entirely blame the White House for fabricating a reason to ban Acosta.
    They can indeed, but as the saying goes. When you blame others you are usually avoiding some truth about yourself.
    In the garb of old Gaul, with the fire of old Rome,
    From the heath-covered mountains of Scotia we come;
    Our loud-sounding pipe breathes the true martial strain,
    And our hearts still the old Scottish valour retain.

Default Re: CNN's Jim Acosta banned from White House after heated exchange with Trump, falsely accused of laying hands on woman

Quote Originally Posted by selder View Post
    They can indeed, but as the saying goes. When you blame others you are usually avoiding some truth about yourself.
    That saying makes no sense in this context. There is no "truth" that CNN is avoiding. The basis they gave for Acosta's ban is disturbing for a number of reasons.

selder's Avatar Senator

That saying makes no sense in this context. There is no "truth" that CNN is avoiding.
    It does in the context that some may argue that CNN is no longer fair and impartial, even CNN's founder Ted Turner stated in an interview with CBS Sunday Morning that he’d prefer his old network had a more balanced agenda. I would think he is not the only one who finds this truth to be self evident.

It does in the context that some may argue that CNN is no longer fair and impartial, even CNN's founder Ted Turner stated in an interview with CBS Sunday Morning that he’d prefer his old network had a more balanced agenda. I would think he is not the only one who finds this truth to be self evident.
    Balance has nothing to do with fairness and impartiality. There are times when issues are nuance, but there are times when issues are simply black and white. There is nothing unfair about hounding the President for accountability when his actions are so widely reviled and disapproved. The President owes an explanation and answers, but apparently not Trump since his supporters are fine with whatever the he's doing no matter what. CNN's "fake news" accusations are false, have always been false, and people who cling to the notion of "fake news" are woefully out of touch with reality.

selder's Avatar Senator

The President owes an explanation and answers, but apparently not Trump since his supporters are fine with whatever the he's doing no matter what.
    Ok lets start with the question then... "Do you think that you demonize immigrants?" the president answered "No". As you can see the question was answered, I understand that that was not the answer some where looking to hear but it was an answer to the question.

Next Acosta goes on to make a statement, not a question but a statement... "Your campaign had an ad showing migrants climbing over walls" and then, "They are hundreds of miles away, that's not an invasion". Neither of these statements are questions, therefore they require no explanation from the president.

CNN's "fake news" accusations are false, have always been false, and people who cling to the notion of "fake news" are woefully out of touch with reality.
    Sounds good but not really relevant to what we are discussing. Unless you are suggesting Ted Turner is a Trump supporter when he criticized the network he founded.

exept it wasn't some random now was it.
    Yeah it was and it still doesn't make him bad at his job. Drop this lazy narrative and respond to the issue of the President ejecting journalists because they don't ask the questions he likes. You know, how journalists are meant to do.

Ok lets start with the question then... "Do you think that you demonize immigrants?"
    You lie in your post. Let's look how the President immediately tries to shut down and shout over a reporter asking a fair question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdFe-LmFRV8

Acosta doesn't even get to the question before Trump begins to explicitly try to silence him. Trump is intentionally dismissive and combative before Acosta says anything.

Q Okay. Thank you, Mr. President. I wanted to challenge you on one of the statements that you made in the tail end of the campaign in the midterms, that this —

THE PRESIDENT: Here we go.

Q Well, if you don’t mind, Mr. President —

THE PRESIDENT: Let’s go. Let’s go. Come on.

Q That this caravan was an “invasion.” As you know, Mr. President —

THE PRESIDENT: I consider it to be an invasion.

Q As you know, Mr. President, the caravan was not an invasion. It’s a group of migrants moving up from Central America towards the border with the U.S.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you for telling me that. I appreciate it.

Q Why did you characterize it as such? And —

THE PRESIDENT: Because I consider it an invasion. You and I have a difference of opinion.

Q But do you think that you demonized immigrants in this election —

THE PRESIDENT: Not at all. No, not at all.

Q — to try to keep —

THE PRESIDENT: I want them — I want them to come into the country, but they have to come in legally. You know, they have to come in, Jim, through a process. I want it to be a process.

And I want people to come in. And we need the people.

Q Right. But your campaign had — your campaign —

THE PRESIDENT: Wait. Wait. Wait. You know why we need the people, don’t you? Because we have hundreds of companies moving in. We need the people.

Q Right. But your campaign had an ad showing migrants climbing over walls and so on.

THE PRESIDENT: Well, that’s true. They weren’t actors. They weren’t actors.

Q They’re not going to be doing that.

THE PRESIDENT: They weren’t actors. Well, no, it was true. Do you think they were actors? They weren’t actors. They didn’t come from Hollywood. These were — these were people — this was an actual — you know, it happened a few days ago. And —

Q They’re hundreds of miles of way though. They’re hundreds and hundreds of miles away.

THE PRESIDENT: You know what?

Q That’s not an invasion.

THE PRESIDENT: I think you should — honestly, I think you should let me run the country, you run CNN —

Q All right.

THE PRESIDENT: — and if you did it well, your ratings would be much better.

Q But let me ask, if I — if I may ask one other question —

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, that’s enough.

Q Mr. President, if I may — if I may ask one other question.

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, Peter, go ahead.

Q Are you worried —

THE PRESIDENT: That’s enough. That’s enough. That’s enough.

Q Mr. President, I didn’t — well, I was going to ask one other. The other folks that had —

THE PRESIDENT: That’s enough. That’s enough.

Q Pardon me, ma’am, I’m — Mr. President —

THE PRESIDENT: Excuse me, that’s enough.

Q Mr. President, I had one other question if —

THE PRESIDENT: Peter. Let’s go.

Q — I may ask on the Russia investigation. Are you concerned that you may have indictments —

THE PRESIDENT: I’m not concerned about anything with the Russia investigation because it’s a hoax.

Q — that you may indictments coming down? Are you —

THE PRESIDENT: That’s enough. Put down the mic.

Q Mr. President, are you worried about indictments coming down in this investigation?

Q Mr. President —

THE PRESIDENT: I’ll tell you what: CNN should be ashamed of itself having you working for them. You are a rude, terrible person. You shouldn’t be working for CNN.

Go ahead.

Q I think that’s unfair.

THE PRESIDENT: You’re a very rude person. The way you treat Sarah Huckabee is horrible. And the way you treat other people are horrible. You shouldn’t treat people that way.

Go ahead. Go ahead, Peter. Go ahead.

Q In Jim’s defense, I’ve traveled with him and watched him. He’s a diligent reporter who busts his butt like the rest of us.
    You really think the job of a free press in a free society is to ask yes or no questions, and be satisfied with that. To just ignore a President that lies to your face every day.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 13, 2018 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Unnecessary.

selder's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Yeah it was and it still doesn't make him bad at his job. Drop this lazy narrative and respond to the issue of the President ejecting journalists because they don't ask the questions he likes.

ejecting?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 13, 2018 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Unnecessary.

ejecting?
    They have literally taken away his pass. And they're gonna take your lying President's ass to court for it:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...use-press-pass
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 13, 2018 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Name-calling.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

I'm not a big fan of O'reily, but he gets it right here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQHNztGOXGg

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Fox News is supporting CNN in its process
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    Fox News is supporting CNN in its process
    Fox News and Fox Opinion -hole have two different management sets and two different sets of ethics, however much Fox News might also bend a few rules. O'Reilly is in Fox Opinion -hole. Fox News doesn't want this to happen to their reporter as well. And remember, according to Fox Opinion -hole, Fox News is Fake News as well. Thanks for that revelation Hannity!
    Last edited by Gaidin; November 14, 2018 at 08:31 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Judge orders White House to return press pass to CNN's Jim Acosta

A federal judge ruled in favor of CNN on Friday, allowing the network’s star reporter Jim Acosta to temporarily regain access to his White House press credential.

"I will grant the application for the temporary restraining order I order the [government] reinstate the pass," U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly ruled from Washington.

Kelly – who rescheduled Thursday’s planned hearing for Friday morning – heard lengthy oral arguments earlier in the week about the cable news network’s request for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction. Kelly’s decision is temporary and further hearings are expected to take place in the next few weeks to determine whether or not yanking the credential violated CNN and Acosta’s First and Fifth Amendment rights.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

The best part about this is that Trump can't do his usual whining and complaining about not getting his way...cause this judge was appointed by him.

I'm sure Trump hates the fact that appointments don't buy automatic loyalty.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Wait, you mean the President has to put up with the press actually asking questions?! And if he's going to yank a press pass, as a part of having granted access to a public(if secure) facility he has to have a legit rule-breaking reason? I look forward to these future arguments!
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Blog Entries

Honestly given the rumors in Washington right now this is probably going to be the least of his concerns in the coming days. But I wouldn't put it past him to have more early morning Twitter Toilet Tantrums about this.

My bet is on "Traitorous Tim Kelly is a deep state goon! I never should have appointed him!"

Fun fact...I honestly tried to write that like Trump, but I have great difficulty forcing myself to write like a 10 year old.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

I still like the idea floated around by various people, that each reporter called on should begin their question with, “Jim Acosta wanted me to ask you...”
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Well, the issue here is that Acosta is an ill-mannered correspondent, who shows no respect for his colleagues, laid his hands on an aide, and simply doesn't follow the rules. Judge's decision is definitely wrong here.

Judge hasn't made a decision. They haven't made actual arguments for why his press pass should remain stripped and what rules he broke and how. The judge ruled he would keep his press pass until such arguments were made and he ruled on that.

Learn how things work. It helps.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Well, the issue here is that Acosta is an ill-mannered correspondent, who shows no respect for his colleagues, laid his hands on an aide, and simply doesn't follow the rules. Judge's decision is definitely wrong here.
    All attributes which can be more effectively used to describe Trump, in both his professional and non-professional life.

Are you sure you want to go down the road of pointing fingers when it comes to unprofessionalism here? You will lose.

This is a Trump appointed judge meaning this decision was non-political. He also said that if the WH can come up with a legal and sound basis for doing this, then the ban is fine.

Judge made the right call.

Aside from that, I REALLY want there to be a new press conference where Trump has to answer SLIGHTLY difficult questions, all headed by Acosta. A shame he's too much of a spineless hack to do it.

I don't recall Trump acting unprofessionally (whether when he was working in real estate or became a politician) , let alone assaulting anyone. I mean CNN could just send someone else other then Acosta who doesn't act like a rabid chimp and issue would have been avoided altogether.