Thread: What is the difference between consciousness and IFTT

Default What is the difference between consciousness and IFTT

It appears that most basic drives and even the most complex of conscious thinking derives ultimately from IFTT so what is consciousness if not IFTT and the drive that comes from biology gives us desires with perhaps some neurological quantum randomness thrown in.

I'm not making the topic to be clever or difficult, I just listened to a 3 hour talk on AI and was listening to the MIT speaker being utterly uninspired at ideas of how we can ever go from what is essentially just evolved 20 year old machine learning to some new form of general intelligence.

neep's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: What is the difference between consciousness and IFTT

What is "IFTT" ?
    Could you clarify

Thanks

Do you mean IFTTT perhaps? Which is an information flow coordination (an AI engineering tool). Then what is the connection? I agree that it could be a new form of general intelligence, but not consciousness. Could you please share the source of the talk on AI you listened to?

Thanks,
    Terry

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

If there's a link, I'd be interested in it too.

As for the question, I think it's not helpful to focus on IFTTT. Going from simple rule based decision making to neural networks it's not the use of IFTTT as a programming pattern that matters, but the way in which the rules are arrived at and their sensitivity to the addition of new input. Whether it amounts to consciousness? It probably won't be consciousness as we know it. However, a robot that starts making less 'optimistic' projections about things just because it's batteries are running low or its sensors perform suboptimally due to high/low temperature without it ever having been intentionally constructed to behave that way? In other words, a robot in a bad mood? And one that is aware that it is in a bad mood? That's not at all unlikely to happen before long.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -