Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Macron calls for creation of "European Army" to defend against Russia and US

Default Re: Macron calls for creation of "European Army" to defend against Russia and US

I think has to do with giving strength to EU voice in the world stage, then with any imaginary threat of Russia, US or China, military speaking anyway. To give weight in diplomatic geopolitics would seem to be the goal.

EU army it is an old concept tied to the European dream. Macron didn't come up with it.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: Macron calls for creation of "European Army" to defend against Russia and US

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    Apologies, I didn't realise there were American Fighter Squadrons at the Battle of Britain. Perhaps you'd like to name them?
    I didn't know the Brits were able to defeat the Germans by themselves!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I think has to do with giving strength to EU voice in the world stage, then with any imaginary threat of Russia, US or China, military speaking anyway. To give weight in diplomatic geopolitics would seem to be the goal.

EU army it is an old concept tied to the European dream. Macron didn't come up with it.
    2 decades ago the EU army was called "Western European Army" . But back then Germany had 5000 tanks (2500 Leo-1 and 2500 Leo-2). In its article that army was suposed to mobillise against any threat over an EU member excluding Greece because no one wanted Turkey as a potential enemy and because they wanted to sell their weapons to Turkey as well.
    Greece looks today "alliances" more realisticaly. It knows that neither USA or Israel will come to its aid against Turkey despite the muttual aproaches of the last 3 years.
    Greece knows that any help will come from those that share the same THREATS not nessesaraly "allies"... That is why it created the Greece-Serbia-Bulgaria-Romania axis the same way that created the Greece-Cyprus-Egypt one.
    In those two "alliances" be need no EU Army fits. No French or German or Austrian or Hungarian soldier will fight for Greece. To make an army SOLIDARITY is the key. EU lacks that feature and it will continue to lack of it for the next decades.
    3 years ago NATO made an exetsise (simulation) of an invasion of the Russians to all three Baltic countries. The simulation shown that Russians would hold the Entire Pollish aarmy in Kallinigrad and all 3 baltic countries would fall in 16 hours if there was no response force to delay them. Two airborn brigades were chosen by NATO , one Turkish and one Greek (71th Airborn Light Brigade). Now... see the irony.
    NATO would sent Greek soldiers to die against Russians to save Baltic countries that in every momment show their hate to Greece in the EU!
    NATO though is primarily US Forces that Makron includes to EU threats! So in the 3 Baltic states their survival depends in an EU threat (NATO) and in atleast one Country they HATE (Greece). How much more irony this can have?
    French Air Force took out of action the last Mirage 2000D and remained only with 150 Raffale! It has 9 Frigades ONLY and 4 Destroyers that the two of them are out of action because of destroyed propelers.
    Do not forget that British (also with huge problems) will be out of EU realy soon. So what kind of EU Army we are talking about? What kind of Navy too (the one the in sea with 10 bofors winds patroling or the one that does not know how to manuevre in a port causing a frigade's sinking)????
    EDIT: For your education : In the Battle of Britain there was NO other planes fighting than British and German. Only after 1942 the 1st wings of the 8th Air Corp starting to arriving in Britain. Do not mistake the WW2 and the Battle of Britain.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; November 14, 2018 at 01:05 PM.
    There are moments (in history), in which a nation owes,
    if it wants to be considered as a great one, to be able to fight.
    Even without hope of winning. Just because it has to.
    Greek War motto.
    XXI Armored Brigade. Proud that served in that unit in 1996!
    "Spartans do not ask how many (enemies are) but where they are"!
    XXI Armored Brigade's motto.
    The Greek Secret (or why they will fight again if it will be necessary or why they do not sell their history).

B. W.'s Avatar Domesticus

In order for an army to be effective it has to have a common language. One has only to look at the disaster of the 7th Cavalry at the Little Big Horn to realize this. In that battle, the forces under Custer's command were unable to co-ordinate because the couriers didn't speak English. That was the root cause of the disaster.

So, the French president calls for a European army and what language will that army issue its orders? Well, that would be German of course. Hmmm.

I would say, english as its already used as common language in Nato.

With your logic whole Nato is pointless, as almost the half of Nato members are not natural english speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpy Hooves View Post
    I didn't know the Brits were able to defeat the Germans by themselves!
    No-one is suggesting we did. If you read the original comment it suggested that the US "saved us". This was an incorrect statement. Once the RAF won the Battle of Britain, invasion by the Nazi's was impossible. So we actually saved ourselves.

That was my objection. Nothing more...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    No-one is suggesting we did. If you read the original comment it suggested that the US "saved us". This was an incorrect statement. Once the RAF won the Battle of Britain, invasion by the Nazi's was impossible. So we actually saved ourselves.

That was my objection. Nothing more...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    With a hefty help from Czech and Polish pilots whose countries you basically sold to Hitler for empty promises...but that is another story.

B. W.'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    I would say, english as its already used as common language in Nato.With your logic whole Nato is pointless, as almost the half of Nato members are not natural english speakers.
    The US won't be a part of the EU army and neither will Britain. English is the command language of NATO because without the US NATO is useless. Before you try to exercise logic you should first learn what it is.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6