Thread: Is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti too weak for Total War Games?

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti too weak for Total War Games?

Do you have experience playing Total War games with this graphic card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti? Is the cheapest Nvidia graphic cards of 10 series. I guess this GPU is good enough for Medieval II, Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2 and probably Rome 2 in the highest settings (at this moment and with the latest update, I wouldn't be sure if this card is enough for Rome 2 with the highest graphic settings). For Attila and Thrones of Britannia is where I would be worried, I wouldn't go for more than quality settings and still I am not sure if this means to have a fluid gameplay since as far as I know both games demands a very powerful computer, practically top computers where you have to invest more than 1500$. I can't imagine the computer that will be required to play Three Kingdoms smoothly.

In this sense and according to my experience, I have a Nvidia GTX 970 and I got stuck at Attila with a mix of performance and quality settings, if I'd purchase a new computer with Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti, I would probably play up to Rome 2 and maybe think if worths investing in Attila and/or Thrones of Britannia, since I would be really worried about performance. I like the fact that Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti is really economical at this moment and can be an excellent option to Total War titles up to Rome 2 (included) but I am not sure if this GPU is enough for having a good experience with Attila and Thrones of Britannia.

What is your experience with this graphic card? Any thoughts/opinions will be welcome.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti too weak for Total War Games?

The GTX 970 performs better in games than the 1050ti, sonthere's very little use switching cards. For a noticable difference you'd need a GTX 1060 or an RX 580 (Get the one you can find for the cheapest price). However, the RTX 2060 (the Next generation from nVidia) is set to launch soon, the higher up cards already have, which probably will drive prices on the older cards down, so I recommend you wait a tad.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I have a GTX 970 as well, and it runs fairly well on all of the Total War games. Attila is unoptimised as hell, and has a noticeably worse performance than the Warhammer's for example.
    I haven't played Thrones of Britannia, so idk how it performs.

Im 1060 Ti user, and i can say Thrones of Britannia runs very smoothly, it is overall a very well optimized game, i find.

Depends on what settings you want to run tbh. That's for any card. I'm sure the 1050 TI will run 100% of titles fine if you're willing to play around with the settings. The question is, do you want to? Or do you want to run everything max? It all depends on you. Personally, I follow a philosophy of future proofing. I buy a an xx70 or xx80 Nvidia GPU and call it a day for a couple of years. The 10 series was a particularly good generation in that regard, the leap in performance was pretty massive.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I had used RX560 which is about the same level of GTX1050ti which I find is very playable. To get the better fps I usually play at 1600x900 instead of 1920x1080 though.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Does GTX-1060 is compatible with W7 x64 Ultimate or i will be forced to buy W10?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Does GTX-1060 is compatible with W7 x64 Ultimate or i will be forced to buy W10?
    Hardware isn't locked to software, so you can use any graphics cards, cpu etc with any operative system without fault.
    tldr; Works in Win7
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Hardware isn't locked to software, so you can use any graphics cards, cpu etc with any operative system without fault.
    tldr; Works in Win7
    Thanks. With 750W psu i think is safe to replace my GTX-660 2GB with GTX-1060 3GB. Today such card costs atleast 240 EUROS in Greece but when prices may go down a bit i think i will buy one.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Blog Entries

Aye, that won't be a problem. Do remember to uninstall the drivers for the old card before you put the new one in
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Aye, that won't be a problem. Do remember to uninstall the drivers for the old card before you put the new one in
    Unistall the drivers of the GTX-660?
    How? The PC will automatically start re-installing them again.

Blog Entries

Let uninstalling them be the last thing you do before you turn your pc off an swap the GPU's
    and Peaman

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Peronally I think a 60 or 70 always beats a 50, even if it is from a previous generation. With that said though, I believe a 60 or 70 beats an 80 from a previous generation (considering you went back far enough that the prices are similar) woould yall agree?
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    I have a GTX 970 as well, and it runs fairly well on all of the Total War games. Attila is unoptimised as hell, and has a noticeably worse performance than the Warhammer's for example.
    I haven't played Thrones of Britannia, so idk how it performs.
    Ironically Attila performs better on my intel hd 4600 than any other total war game other than Shogun 2. Even Rome 1 has various spikes due to age and driver issues but not Attila.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Unistall the drivers of the GTX-660?
    How? The PC will automatically start re-installing them again.
    You could disable auto driver installation with 3-4 ways. If you haven't fixed it, just message me. You know where to find me