Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: US 2018 Midterms Elections - Divided Government Looms

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Default Re: US 2018 Midterms Elections - Divided Government Looms

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Interesting to say that Ocasio Cortez was elected. I learned for her from various far right websites. When people are gonna learn that attacking someone for his positions basically makes him more famous and popular? She was elected for the same reason Trump was elected
    well, she does actually have some policies that arent outright hateful or moronic. if every voter were be the same, the US would be a one-party state.

US mid-term election results 2018: Maps, charts and analysis

This was an interesting graph from the BBC article:

If this is sustainable than Trump will likely lose his second election.
    The Armenian Issue

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Just a reminder that elections matter

Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg fractures three ribs in fall

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was hospitalized on Thursday after she fell in her office at the court the night before, fracturing three ribs, a court spokeswoman said.

The 85-year-old justice initially went home after the fall, but experienced discomfort overnight. She went to George Washington University Hospital on Thursday morning.

Tests showed she fractured three ribs on her left side and she was admitted for observation and treatment, said the spokeswoman, Kathy Arberg.

Ginsburg, who has served on the court since 1993, is the oldest of the nine justices and one of the court’s four liberals.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Breaks three ribs and tries to shrug it off. At her age thats impressive

Tougher than some of the more recent appointees.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Breaks three ribs and tries to shrug it off. At her age thats impressive
    Or just stupid... She's a bit too old to be thinking a fall at her age will leave her relatively unscathed; falls are a serious health risk for seniors. I guess I'd understand it more if she were unable to pay for medical treatment(a sad reality in the US), but she's a supreme court justice so... Just wanna point out that I don't mean to pull a Nelson from the Simpsons and proclaim "Ha-ha!" for her having broken 3 ribs from a fall--I hope she has a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; November 08, 2018 at 10:21 AM.

People in general dont appreciate their healh and skimp on it. I think the cost of healthcare in US simply encourages a culture of “tough it out” because you dont want medical expenses and youre hoping your body can heal it on its own.
    Last edited by alhoon; November 08, 2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: off topic part removed

Don't underestimate Ruth Bader Ginsberg. That said, that doesn't stop any given person from tripping and falling. And when an 80+ year old trips and falls, something tends to break and they're under observation in the hospital to make sure something is also not bleeding during initial healing.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Trump is now whining about voter fraud of democrats in Florida...

Isn't Florida ruled by GOP? ^^
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

It's looking like state GOP offices are trying to sue in Florida and Arizona because, gasp, they are making sure each ballot is counted.

The GOP is basically becoming Farnsworth in Futurama

"NO FAIR! You changed the outcome by measuring it!"
    Speaking of which, if Florida DOES actually find that Nelson won and Sinema wins in Arizona then the Senate will basically be 52-48 by my count...Indistinguishable from this year's Senate.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Actually, what it look like, is that Broward county, and the head of the elections office Brenda Snipes, has a "history of election controversy":
    "Snipes is the subject of lawsuits contending she has mishandled vote counting in Broward for the midterm election that ended Tuesday and blocked access for candidates who say they should know how many ballots have not been counted and how her office is counting them."
    "In August, a state judge sided with the Republican Party of Florida in a 2017 lawsuit accusing Snipes of mishandling absentee ballots. She opened them before they were cleared for counting by the local canvassing board."
    "Another controversy — and arguably the most high profile one — took place in 2016. Snipes broke state and federal election law by destroying ballots in the Democratic primary of U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a court ruled."
    "As of Friday afternoon, Broward and Palm Beach counties were the only counties in the state that had yet to complete vote-by-mail absentee counts and report them to the state, according to the Florida Department of State website. In addition to those, Broward had yet to completely report early voting ballots to the state.

Under state law in Florida, local canvassing boards need to report all early voting and all tabulated vote-by-mail results to the Department of State within 30 minutes after the polls close on Election Day."
    https://www.naplesnews.com/story/new...ts/1943065002/

"Broward’s elections supervisor accidentally mixed more than a dozen rejected ballots with nearly 200 valid ones, a circumstance that is unlikely to help Brenda Snipes push back against Republican allegations of incompetence.

The mistake — for which no one had a solution Friday night — was discovered after Snipes agreed to present 205 provisional ballots to the Broward County canvassing board for inspection. She had initially intended to handle the ballots administratively, but agreed to present them to the canvassing board after Republican attorneys objected.

“We have found no clear authority controlling the situation faced by the board,” said Broward County Attorney Andrew Meyers.

On Election Day, Broward County collected more than 600 provisional ballots. The vast majority were declared invalid by the county’s canvassing board judges for reasons ranging from registering to vote too late to previously voting to voting at the wrong precinct."
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...221452655.html

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nt-Looms/page6

I see the 100 million the Adelsons have given Trump have helped him so much that he will award them the Presidential medal of freedom

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Or maybe it's because of everything Miriam did. But yeah, let's go straight to corruption to fulfill our confirmation biases

Blog Entries

If Republicans want to stop being accused of corruption, they should probably start by limiting their corruption.

One way to start would be by making sure that the majority of your family isn't working for your administration and likely doing your dirty work.

(Yes I am aware that Dems do it too)
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; November 10, 2018 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Actually, what it look like, is that Broward county, and the head of the elections office Brenda Snipes, has a "history of election controversy":
    "Snipes is the subject of lawsuits contending she has mishandled vote counting in Broward for the midterm election that ended Tuesday and blocked access for candidates who say they should know how many ballots have not been counted and how her office is counting them."
    "In August, a state judge sided with the Republican Party of Florida in a 2017 lawsuit accusing Snipes of mishandling absentee ballots. She opened them before they were cleared for counting by the local canvassing board."
    "Another controversy — and arguably the most high profile one — took place in 2016. Snipes broke state and federal election law by destroying ballots in the Democratic primary of U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a court ruled."
    "As of Friday afternoon, Broward and Palm Beach counties were the only counties in the state that had yet to complete vote-by-mail absentee counts and report them to the state, according to the Florida Department of State website. In addition to those, Broward had yet to completely report early voting ballots to the state.

Under state law in Florida, local canvassing boards need to report all early voting and all tabulated vote-by-mail results to the Department of State within 30 minutes after the polls close on Election Day."
    https://www.naplesnews.com/story/new...ts/1943065002/

"Broward’s elections supervisor accidentally mixed more than a dozen rejected ballots with nearly 200 valid ones, a circumstance that is unlikely to help Brenda Snipes push back against Republican allegations of incompetence.

The mistake — for which no one had a solution Friday night — was discovered after Snipes agreed to present 205 provisional ballots to the Broward County canvassing board for inspection. She had initially intended to handle the ballots administratively, but agreed to present them to the canvassing board after Republican attorneys objected.

“We have found no clear authority controlling the situation faced by the board,” said Broward County Attorney Andrew Meyers.

On Election Day, Broward County collected more than 600 provisional ballots. The vast majority were declared invalid by the county’s canvassing board judges for reasons ranging from registering to vote too late to previously voting to voting at the wrong precinct."
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...221452655.html

What's comical here is that Infidel did not talk about the conflict of interest in the Georgia election, where Brian Kemp is running for Governor, yet also responsible for handling the election procedure, which has been grossly miismanaged. He does however, find relatively obscure problems with the Florida election, where Democrats are more than happy to recount despite, as Infidel alleges, problems with the way the votes are counted. If I was a Republican, I'd want to recount 50 times if it's so inaccurate. Slight bias here? No, I'm sure Infidel is as squeaky clean and honest, as they come. Do keep us updated on the Florida situation bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    What's comical here is that Infidel did not talk about the conflict of interest in the Georgia election, where Brian Kemp is running for Governor, yet also responsible for handling the election procedure, which has been grossly miismanaged. He does however, find relatively obscure problems with the Florida election, where Democrats are more than happy to recount despite, as Infidel alleges, problems with the way the votes are counted. If I was a Republican, I'd want to recount 50 times if it's so inaccurate. Slight bias here? No, I'm sure Infidel is as squeaky clean and honest, as they come. Do keep us updated on the Florida situation bud.
    (so triggered)
    Let's see, even presuming I know anything about the Georgia elections (why would you presume that?), the two previous posts 109, which mentions Arizona and Florida, but does not mention Georgia, and 108, which 109 seemed to be a response too, only mentions Florida (there does not seem to be any mention of Georgia on this page or the previous one). So why would I say anything about Georgia?

I wonder way, if Sukiyama thinks there is some sort of problem with Georgia, Sukiyama did not just make a post about whatever he imagines that problem is.

But it is good to know that Sukiyama thinks elections officials breaking federal and state law is just an 'obscure problem'.

No doubt it is not just that it is a Democrat breaking the law, and when someone posts about Republican elections officials breaking the law Sukiyama will be right in there, claiming it is just an 'obscure problem'...

Anyone want to buy bridge?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 14, 2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Disruptive.

(so triggered)
    Let's see, even presuming I know anything about the Georgia elections (why would you presume that?), the two previous posts 109, which mentions Arizona and Florida, but does not mention Georgia, and 108, which 109 seemed to be a response too, which only mentioned Florida (there does not seem to be any mention of Georgia on this page or the previous one). So why would I say anything about Georgia?

But it is good to know that Sukiyama thinks elections officials breaking federal and state law is just an 'obscure problem'.

No doubt it is not just that it is a Democrat breaking the law, and when someone posts about Republican elections officials breaking the law Sukiyama will be right in there, claiming it is just an 'obscure problem'...

Anyone want to buy bridge?
    Whoa there Infidel, I'm not accusing you of deliberately not talking about Georgia. On the contrary, I truly share your concern about what's going on in Florida. I am simply pointing out that while issues in Georgia are a lot more visible in national headlines, while the posts about Brenda Snipes, are only visible in low-quality Conservative news.

Second, "obscure" does not trivialize the problems in Florida. On the contrary, it emphasizes that liberal media hasn't talked about the serious federal and state law violations in Florida very much. Don't be so triggered and jump to conclusions next time Infidel.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 14, 2018 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Continuity.

Whoa there Infidel, I'm not accusing you of deliberately not talking about Georgia. On the contrary, I truly share your concern about what's going on in Florida.
    I see, so what you were doing, by quoting my post in response to the previous two, while mentioning me in your own post and saying that it is comical that I did not talk about Georgia, instead of just posting about Georgia, is hmm... acting in bad faith. Not unusual.
    I am simply pointing out that while issues in Georgia are a lot more visible in national headlines, while the posts about Brenda Snipes, are only visible in low-quality Conservative news.
    Odd you did not say anything about it being more visible in national headlines in your original post.
    I did not realize that the Naples News and Miami Herald were low quality conservative news (Miami Herald at least has score of Pulitzers to its name).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Herald
    Second, "obscure" does not trivialize the problems in Florida. On the contrary, it emphasizes that liberal media hasn't talked about the serious federal and state law violations in Florida very much.
    Really? Odd, I don't see where you mentioned anything about what the "liberal media" has or has not talked about in your previous post.

[/quote]Don't be so triggered and jump to conclusions next time Infidel.[/QUOTE]
    And imitation, the most sincere form of flattery.

And I still have this nice bridge for sale, good deal on it for anyone interested.

I see, so what you were doing, by quoting my post in response to the previous two, while mentioning me in your own post and saying that it is comical that I did not talk about Georgia, instead of just posting about Georgia, is hmm... acting in bad faith. Not unusual.
    Pointing out the difference in news coverage is comical is bad-faith? Why Infidel, you really did get triggered by this. Calm down mate, I'm just pointing stuff out.

Odd you did not say anything about it being more visible in national headlines in your original post.
    I did not realize that the Naples News and Miami Herald were low quality conservative news (Miami Herald at least has score of Pulitzers to its name).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Herald
    There's nothing odd about it. I'm glad local papers are covering it. I suppose I was wrong. How encouraging

Really? Odd, I don't see where you mentioned anything about what the "liberal media" has or has not talked about in your previous post.

And imitation, the most sincere form of flattery.
    Don't be so triggered and jump to conclusions next time Infidel.

And I still have this nice bridge for sale, good deal on it for anyone interested.
    It's not my fault you find things odd and immediately jump to conclusions Infidel. I wouldn't be bragging about bridges, I know the signatories have to consent to worshiping the right-wing altars. Everybody knows Infidel would never sign up to build a fair, non-political bridge that's focused on providing equitable solutions.

Pointing out the difference in news coverage is comical is bad-faith? Why Infidel, you really did get triggered by this. Calm down mate, I'm just pointing stuff out.
    Strange. Your reference to "comical" was to me: "What's comical here is that Infidel did not talk about..."
    Am I to understand that when you say "What's comical here is that Infidel" what you actually mean is that: "What's comical here is the difference in news coverage"?
    There's nothing odd about it. I'm glad local papers are covering it. I suppose I was wrong. How encouraging
    It seems odd to claim that you were "pointing out that while issues in Georgia are a lot more visible in national headlines, while the posts about Brenda Snipes, are only visible in low-quality Conservative news", when your OP makes no reference to "national headlines".
    Perhaps you can quote the particular phrase in your original post that means 'issues in Georgia are more visible in national headlines'.
    Don't be so triggered and jump to conclusions next time Infidel.
    And still more imitative flattery.
    It's not my fault you find things odd and immediately jump to conclusions Infidel. I wouldn't be bragging about bridges, I know the signatories have to consent to worshiping the right-wing altars. Everybody knows Infidel would never sign up to build a fair, non-political bridge that's focused on providing equitable solutions.
    Still won't work. These expressions (in various forms) about 'building fair non-political bridges' is your pretense.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

@Infidel144 going back to post 110.

What I see is typical of counties all over the US. Seeing as the Constitution guarantees a republic (implied democracy) to all States. The US should launch a major infrastructure project such that the machinery of US elections is well funded, rather than erratic local bodies and run by a independently funded civil service across the entire country subject to harsh penalties for failure or any hint of bias. But I suppose that is socialism and bad and we just have to like corruption a or incompetence when its on our side...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.