Thread: ON THE SAYINGS AND DOINGS OF THE COMMANDERS AND NOTABLE MEN (from the lost book of Boethius)

Chelchal's Avatar Civis

Default ON THE SAYINGS AND DOINGS OF THE COMMANDERS AND NOTABLE MEN (from the lost book of Boethius)

Note: this is written in the style of Plutarch's Sayings of Kings and Commanders.

AURELIUS AMBROSIUS AURELIANUS

During the siege of Aurelianum, Ambrosius, then only one and twenty years of age, told Sangiban, king of the Alans, that as soon he had entered the city gates, he had counted himself a dead man. And that the Alans could flee if they pleased, but his shade could not rest until he had fed the Huns into the jaws of the sword. Upon hearing this, the barbarians became so excited, they demanded their fellow Alans fight alongside Ambrosius until their last breath, claiming it was intolerable that they should be inferior in courage to a single Roman.

When hearing that the Saxons had seized Vitalinus and slain the leaders of a Britons at a banquet, Ambrosius remarked that in the reign of Valentinian Augustus, the Romans had treated the Saxons in much the same fashion.

He was accused by Galerius of the Dumnonii of equipping the Alan bucellarii under his command with arms superior to that which the men of Britain possessed. To which Ambrosius replied, that the tyrants of Britain had an insatiable demand for gold, while the Alans were content to be paid in steel.

Beholding the wild courage of Eutherius of the Votadini, Ambrosius declared, “let he who was once draconarius at my side be henceforth regarded as a dragon of the whole island, for no barbarian can withstand him.” Later, when planning his expedition to Gaul, Ambrosius decreed that Eutherius would succeed him should any mishap befall him.

When Britu, son of Vitalinus accused Ambrosius of executing Galerius of the Dumnonii so that Eutherius could enjoy Egeria, the wife of Galerius, without hindrance, Ambrosius assured him he was merely following Roman law by burning Galerius to death for harboring deserters.

This same Britu held that Ambrosius acted in the spirit of gullibility and foolishness when he returned to Anschis, king of the Saxons, the body of his brother Orses after defeating them in a great battle and renewed the Saxons’ allotment of annonae. To which Ambrosius rejoined that there was no middle ground between mercy and annihilation and that having rejected annihilation, he preferred to fill Britannia with farmers rather than corpses.

Praising one of his soldiers for his prowess, Ambrosius offered to take his watch for the night. When he arrived at his post late, though only just after the appointed time, he commanded his own soldiers to seize him. The next morning, Ambrosius had himself flogged before his entire army show that no man, from the lowest to the highest, was above soldierly discipline.

Sidonius Apollinaris marveled at his wonderful successes against the Picts, Saxons, and tyrants of Britain. Ambrosius replied he always ensured the supply of his forces, rapid communication between his formations, and careful reconnaissance of the enemy. In peacetime, his soldiers were never idle but constantly subjected to drill and practice in arms and cowed through punishment and exertion, but during war he inspired them through reward and the personal example of his courage. He did not make threats he could not enforce, nor promises he could not keep. So even though his soldiers were nearly all Alans and Franks, they obeyed him precisely and without hesitation.

When reproached by the blessed Faustus of Riez for his love of profane literature, especially those of Hellenists, and being accused of preferring these over Scripture, Ambrosius responded that the Blessed Cyril of Alexandria had himself praised Plato and Plutarch as the Λογαδες of the Greeks. Ambrosius added that the blessed Clement had noted that Philosophy was the preparation for the Soul’s perfection through Christ. In this way, the blessed Faustus was confuted and praised Ambrosius for his piety and learning.

Claiming he sought no interference in ecclesiastical disputation, Ambrosius stated he sought to discourage the Pelagians solely on the grounds that their doctrines on infant baptism had enraged the commons.

Moved by the suffering of the commons and inspired by the teachings of Salvian, Ambrosius sought to reduce taxes on the humiliores and shield them from plundering. But he was harsh with the mighty. For this, Arvandus and Ricimer accused him of fomenting revolution. But Anthemius Augustus continued to favor him and confirmed him to the royal dignity in Britain, saying that the Votadini and Frankish auxiliaries had forced the kingship upon Ambrosius.

In Armorica, Ambrosius recruited bagaudae and slaves into his army. When Sidonius Apollinaris wrote to him on behalf of a slave owner, Ambrosius wrote back to him,

Noble Sidonius, best of men: Salutations! It is remarkable that in so turbulent a time that you still assist the humble and the weak, which is the indication of a righteous soul. Know that I endeavor to obey your example in all things. Be assured that all who have lost shall be recompensed from the plunder we have seized from the barbarians. Farewell!
    Last edited by Chelchal; November 01, 2018 at 04:00 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: ON THE SAYINGS AND DOINGS OF THE COMMANDERS AND NOTABLE MEN (from the lost book of Boethius)

Nicely done, this tale has a very engaging opening and I like your idea of writing in the style of Plutarch. The historical references such as bucellarii, draconarius and annonae create an authentic atmosphere. I wonder if you'll continue this, I'd like to know more of the doings of Ambrosius.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: ON THE SAYINGS AND DOINGS OF THE COMMANDERS AND NOTABLE MEN (from the lost book of Boethius)

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Nicely done, this tale has a very engaging opening and I like your idea of writing in the style of Plutarch. The historical references such as bucellarii, draconarius and annonae create an authentic atmosphere. I wonder if you'll continue this, I'd like to know more of the doings of Ambrosius.
    Me too!

It's an interesting style, I think - each short paragraph is almost a complete story in itself, while still forming a part of the greater whole. It's fun to read, but I think I would find it difficult to write that way. I'm impressed that you seem to be having no trouble with it!

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Is the title inspired by Valerius Maximus' Memorable Doings and Sayings of the Romans?