Thread: Looking for historical movies or TV shows

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Looking for historical movies or TV shows

Need help with some movies and TV shows. can't seem to find proper and recent adaptions for any of these:

- Imjin war: something not totally centered on the navy commander
    - biography of Oda Nobunaga or Hideyoshi

last is a movie shot of Parthian or Sassanian cataphracts years ago on wikipedia, unfortunately removed as untrustworthy source (none was cited) and lost. Maybe it's from some Iranian TV or movie? no idea how to even begin searching for that...

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Looking for historical movies or TV shows

The King of Zipangu is a good one on Nobunaga. most episodes have excellent subtitles and then like one or two have crazy nonsense subtitles. Hideyoshi is in it, but no Imjin War. It looks old as , but it's actually just from the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA4hJDjQQ6I

I saw something in Korean on the Imjin war, but it had no subtitles and I don't speak Korean.
    Last edited by Himster; October 30, 2018 at 06:34 PM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon14 Re: Looking for historical movies or TV shows

Thanks!!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Looking for historical movies or TV shows

I've seen King of Zipangu. It is okay but it has a lot of fiction and sometimes doesn't follow the history too strongly.

The whole "Nobunaga is a living god" subplot relies entirely on Luis Frois' account. It is not mentioned anywhere else so I am hesitant to take it at face value.

The beginning episodes are by far the worst since it barely gives useful information about the early years when Oda Nobuhide was the Danjo no Jo.

Finally it adheres too much to the basic narrative, rather than the actual record. For example there is the part when Takeda Shingen joins the coalition against Nobunaga and they are acting like it is all over (adding to the "if only Shingen hadn't died" myth)... but we know for a fact that Nobunaga had already redeployed significant forces eastwards with the intention of fighting Shingen... and Shingen outright withdrew.

A lot of this stuff is dramatized such as the bit about Nobunaga's sister Oichi, we don't in fact know whether Oichi even liked Azai Nagamasa or whether Azai Nagamasa fathered any children with Oichi, for all we know the father of her daughters was actually her original husband Shibata Katsuie. At the very least I can say that it isn't stated whether Oichi was the mother of Azai Nagamasa's son.

Other dramatic license is actually really annoying. The whole Kano Zuiten subplot is painful, the seer Kano Zuiten didn't even exist. Kicho's subplot is also extremely useless since it isn't even true.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō