Thread: Best CPU specifically to maximize battle size and bypass unit stutter?

Default Best CPU specifically to maximize battle size and bypass unit stutter?

Hi all,

I'm trying to maximize the number of units/soldiers I have on the field without incurring unit stutter and I want to know which CPU, including other parts (RAM, Mobos, cooling, overclocking) would be best to minimize this effect. I realize that the engine is poorly optimized so the best and greatest CPU on the market isn't necessarily the best CPU for Attila. To that end I'm asking others who might have a better technical knowledge as to what causes the stutter and which hardware pieces would be best for the Total War engine to bypass this effect. My rough understanding is that the engine mainly utilizes a single core, so the processor with the best single core performance would be ideal, but that may not be correct. If anybody has any wisdom to share on this problem please share.

Thanks!

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Best CPU specifically to maximize battle size and bypass unit stutter?

I think this statement is true in any Total War game: the best CPU is the CPU with the best single thread performance. Take a look at this website:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

According to the results I would suggest: i9-9900K ; i7-8086K; i7-9700K; i7-8700K . Ideally the newest and most powerful Intel CPUs in "K" series.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Best CPU specifically to maximize battle size and bypass unit stutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    I think this statement is true in any Total War game: the best CPU is the CPU with the best single thread performance. Take a look at this website:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

According to the results I would suggest: i9-9900K ; i7-8086K; i7-9700K; i7-8700K . Ideally the newest and most powerful Intel CPUs in "K" series.
    Correct. TW games are CPU heavy. Feel free to start a thread or talk about it in our Basement.