Thread: Kingdoms Error- ""Medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error and will now close"

Default Kingdoms Error- ""Medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error and will now close"

Hi all,

First post here and I hope you can help me.

I keep hanging on to a Windows7 laptop in order to play the old games I love and finally managed to install MTW2 Kingdoms successfully. The campaigns all work perfectly along with any custom battles. However, when I enter into a battle on the campaign mode I hit a black screen followed by "Medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error and will now close". This happens just as the battle loading bar is full. The first time it happened was with a large army (and presumably a large amount of graphics) but I have tried some large scale custom battles and it works fine with zero issues.

I would really appreciate some help!

Note that I am not using steam, the game is installed and played via the original 2007 disc.

Thank you.

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Kingdoms Error- ""Medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error and will now close"

Okay im rusty but im getting back into the game so i'll try to help/remember:

Is this all battles or just one?

If just one/non-repeatable:
    Were there reinforcements on either side of the battle?
    You can use auto-resolve or use a console command (auto_win attacker/defender) to auto-resolve a victory/defeat as you see fit and continue campaign.

If all battles:
    It is most likely a bad install. I would re-install outside program files/program files (x86), or if you can outside c drive completely. Run the setup/install process as right click 'run as administrator' and run it with UAC turned off for the install.

If you think the install is correct:
    Do you have a multi-core cpu (most likely). Set MTW2 to run on a single core of your cpu via task manager. Right click kingdoms.exe, etc process and set affinity. Choose a single core (not core 0).
    Do you have integrated graphics, discrete (graphics card) or both? If both, make sure MTW2 is set to run on the graphics card not the onboard (it defaults often on intel cpus to the onboard). Since its a labtop im guessing its just integrated graphics.
    Finally, run this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...n.aspx?id=8109. (fixes direct x issues/missing files for older games like this)
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Default Re: Kingdoms Error- ""Medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error and will now close"

By Jove, I think he's done it

Works perfectly so thank you ever so much. The one exception is custom battles on the Teutonic campaign, small or large. I can live with that though!

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

cool glad it works!
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!