Thread: Ballistas versus 8 meter thick stone walls

Foederatus

Default Ballistas versus 8 meter thick stone walls

Those dastardly dwarves sieged a huge town of Rhun and his has the big walls. Well, they kept shooting at a section of wall and it crumbled. I know nothing of taking down huge stone walls, so I guess big arrows with hard tips are the job for it?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: Ballistas versus 8 meter thick stone walls

Works as explanation I guess, hehe. It's simply as it is in M2.

Rhovanion preview video out 13th November

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod
    | DCI: T˘l Acharn - mighty D˙nedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliš Alý, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Is it possible at all to take the option to attack walls away from the ballista? Realistically even most trebuchets wouldn't be able to do that much damage to a castle wall.

Foederatus

I'll say... There must be at least 30000 pounds of stone in a section of wall that they take down. At least strap some dynamite to those arrows.

While here, I need to know what I can do with 'AI controlled armies' on the pre-battle screen. 'Taking control' only offers to put them on offensive or defensive. Is that it or can I position them? I put my Uruks too far out while Saruman swaggered forth and they took a toll against horsemen.

While here, I need to know what I can do with 'AI controlled armies' on the pre-battle screen. 'Taking control' only offers to put them on offensive or defensive. Is that it or can I position them? I put my Uruks too far out while Saruman swaggered forth and they took a toll against horsemen.
    No more than so. If you want control of them more, you're down to not let the AI control them.

- WIP Second Age mod
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliš Alý, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Works as explanation I guess, hehe. It's simply as it is in M2.
    I don't know how ballista damage works but, could it be possible to modify and lesser the damage against stone? Or increase stonewall's hitpoints?
    FOLLOWERS OF THE WHITE HAND - Isengard Submod

Presume you could affect it by either lowe the ballistae damage in export_descr_unit.txt or lower the impact on buildings in descr_projectile.txt
    AFAIK it only has a setting for "vs buildings", not different for tree or stone, in descr_projectile.txt
    As for building HP I dunno, try and google for it (classic modder solution hehe)

- WIP Second Age mod

I see. Maybe it would be more realistic lowering damage. Though perhaps is not the best option, as sometimes AI takes it's (incredibly long) time to break down all walls haha. Thanks!
    FOLLOWERS OF THE WHITE HAND - Isengard Submod

Actually, I was playing Stainless Steel with Real Recruitment 2.0 and Brygs Grim Realitiy IV the other week, and I couldn't attack a city even though I had a ballista in my army. I had to build siege, and once I got into the battlemap, I couldn't attack the walls with the ballista. So it is possible.

^ Yeah Stainless Steel reduces siege damage a lot as well, and it also increases building hitpoints. Because of that you really see how cannons changed warfare better.

Semisalis

Historical the job for ballistas and catapults was to bring down the breastwork of the assaulted walls, snipe persons upon those, giving covering fire for the advancing troops and of course, knocking down the gates.

Quote Originally Posted by aetiusaetius View Post
    I don't know how ballista damage works but, could it be possible to modify and lesser the damage against stone? Or increase stonewall's hitpoints?
    There's a file called "descr_walls" that allows you to change how much health a certain type of wall has.

CoW has elf ballistae which deal no damage to walls as well.

Mind you, that will also make them unable to damage wooden fortifications or other siege engines.