Thread: Looking for a challenging campaign

Default Looking for a challenging campaign

Have played DEI with macedon and syracuse (VH/N) because I am looking for a challenge. Destroyed everything with macedon and now took italy with syracuse and ready to humiliate carthage next. I am just thinking it will be easy and that makes it boring. What's your most difficult campaign, and any tips on making this harder? Dont want to use legendary difficulty because of the camera restrictions in battles. Also no nomads pls.

Default Re: Looking for a challenging campaign

I would play VH/H just to give the AI more of a chance with its weak armies. I would also put role playing limitations on my armies - say for example only 2 noble units, 6 warrior, 10 standard, 2 mercenary armies or something similar. No siege units, no defensive stance, no moving 2 stacks at a time. Also, I impose historical limits on my expansion - say for example on allow 3-4 regions expansion and everything else has to be liberated and/or taken by your allies.

Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Garbad View Post
    I would play VH/H just to give the AI more of a chance with its weak armies. I would also put role playing limitations on my armies - say for example only 2 noble units, 6 warrior, 10 standard, 2 mercenary armies or something similar. No siege units, no defensive stance, no moving 2 stacks at a time. Also, I impose historical limits on my expansion - say for example on allow 3-4 regions expansion and everything else has to be liberated and/or taken by your allies.
    Great advice from Garbad as usual.

ScipioTheGreat's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by julberou View Post
    Have played DEI with macedon and syracuse (VH/N) because I am looking for a challenge. Destroyed everything with macedon and now took italy with syracuse and ready to humiliate carthage next. I am just thinking it will be easy and that makes it boring. What's your most difficult campaign, and any tips on making this harder? Dont want to use legendary difficulty because of the camera restrictions in battles. Also no nomads pls.
    Check out my Realism mod if you’re looking for something more challenging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by julberou View Post
    Since you like playing Hellenic factions, why don't you try a campaign as Massalia, but with a few self-imposed restrictions:
    -Can only ally other Greeks
    -Must join your Greek neighbours in any defensive wars (i.e. Syracuse & Epirus)

This will give you a TOUGH early game, because you'll be at war with Rome and Carthage, and most of your barbarian neighbours will take advantage of that and declare on you too.

Good luck!

Libertus

Playing as Rome in Caesar in Gaul on VH/N, and just about every son of a "female dog" has united against me. Anyone that was on my side got picked off save for Massalia. My economy is in shambles, every offensive leaves me exposed, and I have to fight endless 40+ stacks of angry Gauls whenever I show any sign of weakness. It's literally me against the horde.

The only thing that makes it less challenging is that you have Rome's Marian Military with access to stunning auxiliaries, but that doesn't count for anything if you can't afford the units. I'm often using levies and cheaper legionaries rather than my most elite units, which has made for some gutsy battles.

boblikesoup's Avatar Civis

@tiny
    I was doing CiG on Legendary/N and found it too easy. There are 2 territories I rushed and everything else is too safe. Strong economy, natural hazards that create chokepoint borders, and too few enemies.

I only went to like 10 turns because of this. Were you in a similar situation at turn 10?

@julberou
    You can easily make any campaign harder by just declaring war on more enemies. If you don't want to make it totally weird with your neighbors just pick one far away major faction. This way not everybody will gang-bang you making diplomacy non-existent, but enough will prefer you as their sparring partner that you can expect to have a few enemies at a time which be be pretty exhilarating.

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

If you want a hard faction to start, one of the hardest I ever tried was Getae. You starting position sucks, you start with only a small town, not even a capital, and no city in your province has a harbor so trade will take a while. The early units you can recruit are really bad light infantry, you will be the one trying to gang the AI with sheer numbers for some time. To make matters worst you have diplomatic penalty with the nomadic factions at your east and the germanic tribes will likely declare war on you from the north as soon as you have a border with them: the nomadic cavalry and skirmishers will destroy your light infantry, while the germanic infantry overpowers yours too. But that's not pain enough yet, you will really suffer when you try to war some of the hellenics nations for expansion or defensive purposes since your early infantry is so light with bad moral and can't really step up against hoplites, phalanxes, heavy cavalry or anything with more armor than a potato sack shirt.

I always think about playing with them just because of the falx troops but never had enough patience to keep playing, I always quit and go play with Odrysian Kingdom instead, wich is basically Getae on steroids.
    Last edited by VektorT; November 06, 2018 at 05:08 PM.

Ignore diplomacy aside from trade agreements. No alliances or nonaggression pacts etc. Or don't use any agreements if you want to really suffer.

Ever try a head to head campaign? My roommate and I play head to head almost exclusively now, we have been "Allies" each time so far but we control the AI armies against each other. Very difficult but the battles are awesome. Impossible to make up the difference of an opponent that can think and react to what is happening.

amagana91's Avatar Foederatus

In the spirit of more difficult campaigns, am wondering if anyone on here is interested in starting a head to head DEI campaign with me? I am thinking of playing twice a week maybe three times in the evening(I am in U.S central time zone). Any takers? Look forward to hearing from you all, feel free to DM me on Steam as well. Username is Zapata91360.
    See you on the battlefield