Thread: Autoresolve outcome question

Default Autoresolve outcome question

Is it possible to edit what the game views as a heroic/clear/close victory etc. or is all of this hardcoded and based only on the unit stats? I really like the crossed swords symbols with the battle information and that only appears when a heroic victory is achieved. So the second question ... Is it possible to enable that icon appearing after a clear victory?
    Last edited by Danger Close; October 21, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Autoresolve outcome question

There is a whole section in the descr_campaign_db file dedicated to auto resolve. I do however highly doubt that anything there relates directly to the classifications. I would think it's a fixed formula with variables. Something like this:

winning army > 3 and < 6 units
    if opponent army > 15 units
    declare heroic victory

I've checked it out and unfortunately there's not much useful stuff in there about autoresolve conditions. Thank you for answering my question anyway, I'll post an update if I happen to find something of use.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

It is also very likely that the "Heroic Victory" thing will affect the traits of the general and given that all battles between AI factions are autoresolved you may end up having to fight some pretty extreme enemy generals.
    You may not want to tinker with that.

I did some testing the old fashioned way in custom battle, as I was unable to find anything connected to autoresolve in files. And it looks like M2TW cares very little about the attack value of a unit. One unit with 63 attack, 63 charge and armour piercing has beaten 2 units with 8 attack, 4 charge, no ap and won a heroic victory. Defence of both units was pretty much the same (28 for the first unit and 24 for the second).

Titus le Chmakus's Avatar Biarchus
    Skiing on the Spine of the World or hunting in Lurkwood

??? I don't understand. You say the game cares little about attack value ? But in your example, if a unit gets a heroic victory, it means they had few losses. So the game did take it into count !?

Now you probably noticed that auto resolve always gives you more casualties than it should if you had won the battle yourself ! It is to force the player not to abuse of auto resolve. I wonder if this number of casualties can be reduced ? If auto resolve can be not so unfair ?

Blog Entries

Here is the autoresolve section from the descr_campaign_db file. My guess would be that the 'lopsided' values influence the casualties for the player.

Code:
       <autoresolve>
            <min_capture_percent float = "5.0"/>
            <max_capture_percent float = "30.0"/>
            <lopsided_thresh float = "1.5"/>
            <lopsided_hn_mod float = "3.0"/>
            <separation_missile_add uint = "1"/>
            <naval_sink_modifier float = "1.5"/>
            <naval_sink_offset float = "15.0"/>
            <naval_sink_max float = "80.0"/>
            <sally_att_def_draw_divisor float = "2.0"/>			<!--sally battles are a draw if attacker lost and (number of attacker troops) > (number of defender troops)/divisor -->
            <use_new_sett_autoresolve bool = "true"/>				<!--do we use the new settlement autoresolve -->
            <switchable_defence_exposed bool = "false"/>				<!--can unit switch exposed state during autoresolve -->
            <gate_defence_num_oil_attacks int = "3"/>				<!--number of gate oil attacks -->
            <gate_defence_strength_oil_base float = "8.0"/>			<!--gate oil attack strength -->
            <gate_defence_strength_oil_level_modifier float = "0.0"/>	<!--gate oil attack strength += modifier * oil_level -->
            <gate_defence_num_arrow_attacks int = "2"/>				<!--number of gate arrow attacks -->
            <gate_defence_strength_arrow_base float = "2.0"/>		<!--gate arrow attack strength -->
            <gate_defence_strength_arrow_level_modifier float = "2.0"/>	<!--gate arrow attack strength += modifier * arrow_level -->
            <gate_defence_num_default_attacks int = "2"/>			<!--number of gate generic advantage attacks -->
            <gate_defence_strength_default_base float = "1.0"/>		<!--gate generic advantage attack strength -->
            <gate_defence_strength_default_level_modifier float = "1.0"/>	<!--gate advantage attack strength += modifier * fortification_level -->
            <sett_defence_num_arrow_attacks int = "2"/>				<!--number of settlement arrow attacks -->
            <sett_defence_strength_arrow_base float = "2.0"/>		<!--settlement arrow attack strength -->
            <sett_defence_strength_arrow_level_modifier float = "2.0"/>	<!--sett arrow attack strength += modifier * arrow_level -->
            <sett_defence_num_default_attacks int = "0"/>			<!--number of sett generic advantage attacks -->
            <sett_defence_strength_default_base float = "1.0"/>		<!--sett generic advantage attack strength -->
            <sett_defence_strength_default_level_modifier float = "1.0"/>	<!--sett advantage attack strength += modifier * fortification_level -->
            <display_strength_oil float = "1000"/>					<!--additional effective army strength for defending residence with oil -->
            <display_strength_arrow float = "1.00"/>					<!--additional effective army strength for defending residence with arrows -->
            <display_strength_default float = "500"/>				<!--additional effective army strength for defending residence with fortification levels -->
       </autoresolve>

Thanks Gigantus, I'll play with the values and report back my findings. Do you know of any modifiers that affect the regular battle outcome or do you think it uses the same principle as the autoresolve?

I've tested both values separately turning each one up to 9.0 while leaving the other one same as it was before. I tested it only in regular user-played battle but there was no difference at all. 2 units with comparable defensive stats but drastically different attacking stats (63, 63, ap vs. 8, 4, no ap) were put on the battlefield. Firstly the "superior" unit had 170 soldiers against 250 "inferior" soldiers and won without problems. It was a clear victory. Then an army of the "inferiors" had 500 soldiers but they lost again and this meant a heroic victory for the "superiors". This was the case for any value tested. In conclusion, I have absolutely no idea what these modifiers are or what they do.

Blog Entries

There was no noticeable difference in your casualties when you autoresolved? The settings in that section have no influence on a manual battle.

Using the same army set up and then altering the 'lopsided' values would be the most conclusive way to find out if those settings alter the number of player casualties.