Thread: An Optional Mini-mod for BYG's BGR V by Kammamuri

Default An Optional Mini-mod for BYG's BGR V by Kammamuri

Hello forum people!

I have recently picked up the game again and decided it was time to make the changes I felt were necessary the last time I played.
    I'm sharing them here hoping that someone else can appreciate them. Any constructive criticism is well accepted, so let know what you think.

Of course all credits for the base files go to Byg/the SS6.4 team. At present the changes are as follows:

1) Recruitment of troops is back to the original recruitment buildings such as Barracks and Archery Ranges. They are not tied to walls anymore.
    I hope this reintroduces the need for those buildings and castles, which I felt was seriously lacking; as well as a sense of progression in the units that you are allowed to recruit as more advanced buildings are unlocked.
    I have also reintroduced some other functionalities of buildings. For example free upkeep has been partially reintroduced, but the economic penalty for recruitment buildings has been increased also.

2) Mercenaries no longer giving manpower is reflected in their description (e.g. Slav Mercenaries [1] --> Slav Mercenaries [0]).
    I'm thinking about making only peasants available as mercenaries while providing manpower, to simulate a last minute effort to recruit more people into the army - I would probably make them quite expensive/giving a penalty to pop.
    Also, I feel like the flat manpower cost per region is a bit unrealistic (eg 12manpower costs 200gold per region per turn independently of the number of regions).. but I'm not sure whether I want to change that or how.
    Let me know what you think.

3) The Byzantines used to have 3 disjoint family trees (Laskaris, Doukas and Komnenos) which meant you could not see the Doukas and Komnenos trees.
    I have joined the trees by reconstructing the family tree all the way to the common ancestor: Alexios I Komnenos.
    Unfortunately there is 1 mistake in the tree: the Doukas branch descends from a woman instead of a man (after Theodora), but I couldn't find a way to change a male son's family name from his father's to his grandmother's. (If this can be fixed let me know how).

4) I have also made some changes to the traits, but these are largely still a work in progress. The main idea I had when I started these changes was to improve the distinction between generals (military minded) and governors (administratively minded) as well as improve the education system. At the moment the main changes are that all characters lose health (atm only affects hit points) while outside settlements (governors faster than generals) and recover it "resting" in cities/castles (governors slower than generals).. recovery is affected by the presence of baths and such. On the other side, governors have higher changes of gaining good governing traits on building completion.

Installation is really easy: overwrite the folder in campaign/sub/BGRV with the attached files (make a backup before doing this!!!). Than copy the BGRV.txt file from sub/BGRV to sub/ (up one folder essentially).
    The latter operation is necessary because I'm now overwriting also the "names" files because of the new character in the family tree.

Best,
    Kamma
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Losthief; October 23, 2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: renamed to mini-mod for better description/finding

Default Re: My changes to BygV

Bringing back the necessity of barracks, archery ranges, castles and so on sounds very interesting. I will give that a try once I finish my current game.

In which file were you able to change the manpower cost per unit? I've been trying to find that file for ages, as some unit, such as light horse archers, I simply never recruit as I don't think they are worth twice the manpower cost of foot archers.

And in which file is it possible to change the yearly manpower pool and cost per region?

I think 200 per region for 12 units and 400 per region for 24 units is fine, but I find 800 per region for 32 units usually too expensive even when I am swimming in money (it's much cheaper just to hire a few mercenaries), and 1600 per region for 40 units I have never used in hundreds and hundreds of hours playing BGRV. I wonder if 600 per region for 32 units and 800 per region for 40 units might not work better.
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; October 21, 2018 at 05:14 PM.
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Hi Both things are in campaign_script.txt

for the manpower cost search for: "SCRIPT FOR RETURNING MANPOWER WHEN DISBANDING UNITS" in the capaign_script.txt I have attached.
    Otherwise a search for "monitor_event UnitDisbanded FactionIsLocal" could also work.
    A pseudo code would be like this:
    Code:
    on unit disband by human player:
        set variable type = 5
    if unit is not mercenary:
        type = 4
    if unit manpower cost is not 4 and type = 4:
        type = 3
    if unit manpower cost is not 3 and type = 3:
        type = 2
    if unit manpower cost is not 2 and type = 2:
        type = 1
    for region in regions:
        if this is the region where the unit was disbanded:
             add back "bits" i.e. manpower to that region according to x
    For the manpower cost search for "monitor_event ShortcutTriggered ShortcutTriggered strat_ui assign_new_recruits"
    The cost per region is right after that... I think a linear progression as you suggested is perfectly reasonable and could be a good starting point.

Thanks for the information Kammamuri. I still play almost exclusively BGRV, so I really appreciate the option to mod some of the above numbers.

I think you are right that disbanding mercenaries shouldn't return manpower to the manpower pool, if that was your objective, though I always disband them outside of cities anyway.

Your distinctions between governors and generals also sounds interesting.

I will keep an eye on your post to see what other ideas you come up with.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Kammamuri View Post
    4) I have also made some changes to the traits, but these are largely still a work in progress. The main idea I had when I started these changes was to improve the distinction between generals (military minded) and governors (administratively minded) as well as improve the education system. At the moment the main changes are that all characters lose health (atm only affects hit points) while outside settlements (governors faster than generals) and recover it "resting" in cities/castles (governors slower than generals).. recovery is affected by the presence of baths and such. On the other side, governors have higher changes of gaining good governing traits on building completion.
    You may have a look at an approach to their impact through education in my minimod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    You may have a look at an approach to their impact through education in my minimod.
    Thanks for the link JoC! and for the info in the pm
    I like what you did with the traits and triggers, it's quite structured and clear.. if it's okay for you at some point I might try to merge your EDCT changes into the EDCT in my BGRV mini-mod, adjusting the values to take into account 12tpy.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Kammamuri View Post
    Thanks for the link JoC! and for the info in the pm
    I like what you did with the traits and triggers, it's quite structured and clear.. if it's okay for you at some point I might try to merge your EDCT changes into the EDCT in my BGRV mini-mod, adjusting the values to take into account 12tpy.
    Of course, you can.
    The Education of Generals part can be just cut-and-pasted in any SS mod, large parts of the General's traits submod as well. However, the current EDCT has undergone serious changes so it's not so easy to do it for the next modifications.
    And in my personal opinion that comes from the EDCT file modding, the SS6.4 contains so many bugs that it'd be better to implement BGR solutions into the SSHIP system than otherwise.
    And you know my opinion about the less-then-2tpy solutions.

Default Re: An Optional Mini-mod for BYG's BGR V by Kammamuri

Kammamuri,
    Shouldn't I be able to open BGRV+ChangesByKamma.rar with 7z? I've downloaded it three different times now and I still can't open it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    Kammamuri,
    Shouldn't I be able to open BGRV+ChangesByKamma.rar with 7z? I've downloaded it three different times now and I still can't open it.
    I'm not familiar with 7z and now I am at work, which means I'm on Linux... I can download and unzip the file correctly here.
    Maybe try a different program? I think I used WinRAR on window... or try have a look here https://www.tenforums.com/software-a...rar-files.html this guy seems to have the same problem you have with 7z.

I have played with BGRV for so long that I'm not sure exactly how the old distinction between cities and castles, and the various recruitment buildings, actually worked. I want to try your changes in this regard. Is the export_descr_building file alone sufficient?

I wonder, if some upper tier units are only available in cities with the proper recruitment buildings, and other upper tier units are only available in castles with the proper recruitment buildings, then how does that work with BGRV, where after a certain point upper tier units can only be recruited from your capital?
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; May 12, 2019 at 02:03 AM.