Thread: How can I defeat heavy cavalry? They are like war tanks!!!

Default How can I defeat heavy cavalry? They are like war tanks!!!

Hi guys, I know that spears is effective against cavalry. But to hold a heavy cav it is necessary 3 spear militia for each unit of heavy cav. They are like war tanks.

My question is:what is the best army formation (left, right, reserve, etc.) to beat an enemy army with some heavy cavalry?Against, maybe, 4 enemy heavy cavalry, how to beat it?

Iam playing the "throne of britania" mod and I am having a hard time fighting the english army with their heavy cav with my lightly armored scotish army

And PLEASE dont say pikemen, for they are just bugged. They drop their pike the moment the opponent touch them, it is useless...

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: How can I defeat heavy cavalry? They are like war tanks!!!

Well, I could say pikemen.

Seriously, the key with stronger and more dangerous units is to fix them into a melee. A 'full' (not depleted via other combat losses) unit of spearmen with the spears set (guard mode) and fully facing the charge is a good beginning. Then charge at least one unit into the flanks or better, the rear of the cavalry. Better yet use a unit on the flank that is good against armor. When the unit is charging, it is simply the same as a cavalry charge. It is best that there is enough space but not too much. Charging units do break formation over time.

I hope this helps. Now Ineed to upload that modification. I have been meaning to do this for some time.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Also, two spear units that are set in relatively shallow ranks but are positioned to occupy the same space are far harder to break than the same two spear units positioned side by side with deeper ranks.

"spear Militia" o.owhat happened to Armored Sergeants now?

Well if you're playing a mod that has units bugging out, then I'd say you should try and resolve the bug or get another mod.

I don't know what buffs, if any, Thrones of Britania gives to cavalry, but in Vanilla and the more commonly-played mods, any mid or high tier spear unit that is stationary (which is necessary to have them brace properly) should be able to hold off frontal cavalry charges.

If you find that the AI cavalry is trying to charge around your flanks, engage and fix them with your own cavalry and then counter charge them with spear units.

Literally the only units that can deal with heavy cavalry are units with anti-cav bonuses (spears and pikes) or other heavy cav. Those are your two options.
    Last edited by Patronus86; October 30, 2018 at 11:49 AM.

Overlapped pike formation. Draw up one or more units of pikemen in four ranks deep formation, then take more pikemen units and place them so their ranks are positioned between the ranks of first group of units. Put them all on guard mode, wait till enemy exhausts his charge (you'll see that they won't show "charging" any more), then take them off guard mode.

Nasty trick, but it will turn your pikemen into impenetrable wall and powerful offensive force.

Laetus

I would say pin down the calvary unit with a spear men, once you have done that use crossbows or any other unit to wittle them down (make sure to use schiltrom formation for spears to not have as much affect on the charge )