Thread: Questions about Celtic History

Default Questions about Celtic History

Hi,

I would like to know if there's a good book on Celtic military history, which tells about Celtic warfare in an unbiased and historically accurate fashion.

I would also like to know if there's any good Grammar of reconstructed Gaulish, Brythonic or Lepontic.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Genava's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Questions about Celtic History

Hi,

I would like to know if there's a good book on Celtic military history, which tells about Celtic warfare in an unbiased and historically accurate fashion.
    I don't think there is something interesting in english. The osprey books wrote by Stephen Allen and Peter Wilcox are quite old and doesn't give you a proper overview of the actual knowledge on the subject. Moreover they are mixing everything, using items from the mainland and from the British Isles without any distinctions or warnings. The illustrations are among the with anachronistic mixing of the weapons from diverse regions and from a timeline of 5 centuries. The problem of their authors is that they believe the Celtic warfare is a monolithic block without any evolution neither in technology or in strategy.

Another problem is the language barrier. English-speaking peoples are generally not interested in reading "baguette language" and prefer to make fun of it, even if most of the accurate information are in French. It is a problem even for academic expert like Barry Cunliffe, who almost never quotes French literature in his works. However it is starting to change with new generations of scientists with an open-mind. Same problem in the other side of the barrier, French peoples aren't very good in English, especially older generations. And European archaeology is always something that is self-centered on the national culture of the discovery places. Therefore, there is almost nothing that is translated in English.

In French, you can look for Jean-Louis Brunaux books; Guerre et armement chez les Gaulois (450-52 av. J.-C.) and Guerre et religion en Gaule. Essai d'anthropologie celtique

There is also the books of Franck Mathieu, a re-enactor with credible references (like his work for Muséoparc Alésia). Les guerriers celtes and Le guerrier gaulois : Du Hallstatt à la conquête romaine. He has a facebook page about his material works re-enacted, Archéoart.

I would also like to know if there's any good Grammar of reconstructed Gaulish, Brythonic or Lepontic.
    You can start with the book of Paul Russell, An Introduction to the Celtic Languages. And the online PDF of Blažek Václav on the Gaulish language.
    Last edited by Genava; October 22, 2018 at 03:46 AM.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    English-speaking peoples are generally not interested in reading "baguette language" and prefer to make fun of it, even if most of the accurate information are in French.
    This is me, right? HEHEHEHEHEHEHE
    To be fair, I am not mocking the language. I just don't have the will and reason to learn it.
    Get all that good translated.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Now, 9gag... 9gag is mocking the hell out if it.
    https://9gag.com/gag/a5Md41V

Hi, thanks for all the tips!

Hi Genava, thank you for your extensive recommendations.

Another problem is the language barrier. English-speaking peoples are generally not interested in reading "baguette language" and prefer to make fun of it
    Yes, it used to be different from the 18th century up to World War 2.
    Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; October 22, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)