View Poll Results: RTW Mod Players; do you have Barbarian Invasion and Alexander?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I play RTW mods and DO NOT have the expansions.

0 0%
  • I play RTW mods and only have Barbarian Invasion OR Alexander.

4 10.81%
  • I play RTW mods and have BOTH expansions.

32 86.49%
  • What's a mod? Can I eat it?

1 2.70%

Thread: RTW Mod Players - do you use BI and Alex?

Default RTW Mod Players - do you use BI and Alex?

Wiki staff are currently updating the way mods are categorised and indexed see the sortable table of RTW mods for example.

We'd like to know how important it is for our readers to have up-to-date information about which RTW .exe the mod uses!
    It's time consuming to sort out as mods have tended to move or expand platforms. We're not being lazy but wonder if we could do be doing other more useful stuff instead!

Do most people still playing RTW now own BI and Alex too?

If you own all three games do you have a preference for mods based on one particular .exe?

For any comments that don't fit a poll option please post reply below.

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Default Re: RTW Mod Players - do you use BI and Alex?

Why are we lacking attendance here?
    Come on guys

As someone who is modding RTW now, I’d have to say that the ALX expansion exe is the best in my opinion. It has everything from BI except hording, shieldwall, schiltrom and swimming, and none of those are useful unless you’re doing a mod that requires hording. My biggest thing right now is trying to figure out how to get faction videos etc to appear on Alx engine. I believe it’s possible but idk. Anyways, just about every mod should be able to be ran on the alx engine without issues.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I have all expansions, but currently I only play RTW and BI at the moment. I voted for having all expansions.

When it comes to mods I often play mods that unlocks unplayable factions in vanilla for both RTW and BI.

Hader's All Factions mod for RTW
    Epistolary Richard's Rebel Commander mod for BI
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

I have all expansions, and most of the mods I like to play are on the ALX.exe. I personally find it superior to BI and RTW exes, but I don't find the BI's .exe to be that much behind ALX's.
    Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and Head of Public Relations
    RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
    "Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
    Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    As someone who is modding RTW now, I’d have to say that the ALX expansion exe is the best in my opinion. It has everything from BI except hording, shieldwall, schiltrom and swimming, and none of those are useful unless you’re doing a mod that requires hording. My biggest thing right now is trying to figure out how to get faction videos etc to appear on Alx engine. I believe it’s possible but idk. Anyways, just about every mod should be able to be ran on the alx engine without issues.
    I was also told that Alex has the best AI of all 3.
    Still not that great but yea.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    I was also told that Alex has the best AI of all 3.
    Still not that great but yea.
    Correct, for best experience play on H/H. Ai seems best that way as VH/VH they are just a missile set to destroy you no matter what and it breaks the immersiveness of the game.

Civis

My experience on H or VH campaign are rather tame, but then again, I prefer to stay out of senseless wars and make constant alliances with my neighbors.
    Any battle difficulty past Medium is just too unrealistic for my tastes. Bonuses to AI? Gross!
    At least CAI gets more aggressive, or is supposed to at least, when it comes to difficulty but BAI is just cheats.

Also, ALex is best. No point in any other, save for "hording" like @ahowl11 said. Our only hope is that CA will give out source code and then modders can make Alex2.0.exe. That'll be the day...

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    My experience on H or VH campaign are rather tame, but then again, I prefer to stay out of senseless wars and make constant alliances with my neighbors.
    Any battle difficulty past Medium is just too unrealistic for my tastes. Bonuses to AI? Gross!
    At least CAI gets more aggressive, or is supposed to at least, when it comes to difficulty but BAI is just cheats.

Also, ALex is best. No point in any other, save for "hording" like @ahowl11 said. Our only hope is that CA will give out source code and then modders can make Alex2.0.exe. That'll be the day...
    I am hoping maybe in the next 5 years that we might actually see something since this is the TW game that people come back to more than the others. CA needs to know that they can make money if they focused on their classics and made them better, rather than new games every year. Anyways, I don’t want to stray off topic, thank you to all my friends on steam and slack for contributing to the vote!

Thanks for the comments chaps & thanks ahowl11 for getting your friends to vote!

So far it's running at most but not all players have BI and Alex - but people's preference for which .exe to play might be the more important bit anyway

Anyways, just about every mod should be able to be ran on the alx engine without issues.
    I'm sure modders could make versions of most mods for it (except if hording is required) - but converting one is probably beyond what most users would want to fiddle with.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Alex exe. Arguably one of the best in the series. Modded ofc
    I'm very fond of such polls so thanks Mak.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 22, 2018 at 06:53 AM.

To avoid issues with how the menu and custom battles are set up using the alx.exe you can put this in the command line:
    -noalexander

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Both of course

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

I regularly use both
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Voted, and reading this discussion with interest.

Centenarius

Thank you for this information, it's really useful

Answering to manyakane's OP:

1) Yes, i still play vanilla RTW campaigns, from time to time, mostly with all factions unlocked and with playerone's Bugfixer. About BI, the same, i still like the vanilla campaign mode with bug fixes. About Alex, i haven't played a campaign for ages.

2) About mods, i don't have an exe preference as i use BI and Alex regularly.
    Temporarily retired from modding.