Thread: Controlling position of units in a battle line?

Default Controlling position of units in a battle line?

Suppose I am trying to draw a contiguous line of units, and I want to finely control the position of type or experience/armor levels ...

I can place them on the deployment screen in the right order and mouse lasoo and drag, but it is not the order than I end up with.

The only technique which I have found that works is to just make the line, and then manually reposition units and create a group. This works, but is unnecessarily tedious.

Thanks!

PS: Yes, I am posing the same question for both Rome I and Rome II; for the same reasons.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Controlling position of units in a battle line?

I'm not aware of another way tbh.

I have found for Rome 2.

Suppose you want the bulk of the line composed of spears for phalanx use, but the ends more mobile princepes.

or

You just want your most experienced units anchoring the end of the line.

Before grouping, arrange cards in the battle card window. Now, when you highlight and drag, they will be laid down in the same sequence.

The only issue I have found it that if you mix disparate units, it leaves small gaps in the line. Of course, this can be fixed with a little post formation work (form a new line with lasso) and resave the group. Honestly, I am not sure if small gaps in a line represent a combat malus. It really depends how the game performs the combat calculations, and if each man is simulated or just the unit from center mass.

I found another from Rome I which works with Rome II. Just CTRL-CLICK the cards in the order you want the line drawn.

I watched this guys YouTube video.

I know that RMB draws your formation anchored from the left using the mouse map position.

I know that ALT-RMB draws your formation anchored from the center using the mouse map position.

But in this guys video, I see a yellow overlay of the entire formation being slid across and placed at a specific location on the map. Does anyone know what key and mouse combination he is using to do that?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 21, 2018 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

@MeiguoJinjang
    I have merged your other thread with this one. Feel free to continue the conversation here.

nikossaiz's Avatar Decanus

Pause during battle and somewhere in options there is a box that needs ticking. Says something like " left mouse bouton drag" then you can hold the left boutton and drag the hall formation. If you click ctrl simuttaniously you can turn it also.

Quote Originally Posted by nikossaiz View Post
    Pause during battle and somewhere in options there is a box that needs ticking. Says something like " left mouse bouton drag" then you can hold the left boutton and drag the hall formation. If you click ctrl simuttaniously you can turn it also.
    Good tip

I had that enabled, but could not get this to work. AND FINALLY, I REALIZED THAT I NEED TO CLICK ON THE FOOT PRINT OF ONE OF THE UNITS --- NOT THE FLAG!!!

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have recently fought some very large battles and control issues are one of the major strategic issues I have been dealing with.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by MeiguoJinjang; October 22, 2018 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeiguoJinjang View Post
    I had that enabled, but could not get this to work. AND FINALLY, I REALIZED THAT I NEED TO CLICK ON THE FOOT PRINT OF ONE OF THE UNITS --- NOT THE FLAG!!!

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have recently fought some very large battles and control issues are one of the major strategic issues I have been dealing with.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That will actually be quite helpful with large scale battles indeed. Good to know you've used it successfully