Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The NPC meme controversy

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: The NPC meme controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    ...to be a right-winger in this day and age you need an ability to critically take in information and be a free thinker.
    In this statement you basically claim that political affiliation is proof of intelligence.
    No, being bitter at the leftists is enough to make one oppose them.

Also of course science can be affected by politics. From destruction of libraries by Christian mobs in Rome to Soviet Lysenkoism, science had always been manipulated for political reasons.
    That is true in unfree societies.
    I don't believe you saw any christian mobs burning libraries around where you live and we are certainly very far removed from the time and place of Lysenkoism.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    In this statement you basically claim that political affiliation is proof of intelligence.
    No, being bitter at the leftists is enough to make one oppose them.
    Yes, in an environment where political affiliation is forced upon by population via indoctrination from mass media and academia this is the case. It isn't really about being bitter, but about one's ability to critically asses information given to them.
    That is true in unfree societies.
    I don't believe you saw any christian mobs burning libraries around where you live and we are certainly very far removed from the time and place of Lysenkoism.
    Oligarchies aren't free and most of Western countries are de-facto oligarchies, unfortunately. Only few decades ago we officially practiced eugenics, "cured" homosexuals with shock therapy and had doctors say that smoking is good for you. Thinking that scientific community in the West is infallible to this is simply ignoring history and reality.

Do you believe that if one "critically assesses information" will inevitably become a right-winger?
    And what does it even mean to be a right-winger?
    Is it anyone who agrees with you?
    What if people assess the same information you assess and draw different conclusions than you?
    Is that proof that they are uncritical?
    What if I told you -hypothetically- that in case these assertions are correct then I am a right-winger and you are a leftist?

This is the very similar to what radical feminists say about women who are not feminists: "they have internalized white cis-male normative patriarchal oppression"
    Also the same argument for African-Americans who vote republican.

I strongly believe that this is the kind of attitude that corrodes the necessary substrate for critical discussion.
    And if I or you assume a-priori that it is impossible to have a critical conversation with a particular someone then that is a form of self fulfilling prophecy.

By the way, when was it the last time someone burned a library in Canada?

I already provided a number of examples of science being affected by politics in "free societies", no need to twist my words any further.
    I was also pretty clear when I pointed out the distinction, that in order to be a right-winger you must be able to think critically and independently, because media and academia are mostly imposing neoliberal or leftist ideas and one must go against the current to take a different perspective. Hence the NPC meme, which pokes fun at people who never question mainstream media narratives.

And I think it would be a disservice to all not to point out that in certain areas of the political spectrum, media like Breitbart are the mainstream and I just won't take seriously those who suggest that Breitbart are not peddlers of the alt-right.
    If people are going to be critical, they need to start using arguments that cannot be turned around at them.
    Last edited by paleologos; October 20, 2018 at 08:21 PM.

And I think it would be a disservice to all not to point out that in certain areas of the political spectrum, media like Breitbart are the mainstream and I just won't take seriously those who suggest that Breitbart are not peddlers of the alt-right.
    If you one is going to be critical themselves, they need to start using arguments that cannot be turned around at them.
    I don't think that Breitbart , as biased as it is, can be compared to oligopoly of mostly leftist-oriented mainstream media. Let alone the fact that there is no evidence that Breitbart represents views of majority of right-wingers.
    There is no hypocrisy here, since one has to go against the grain of the so-called "free press" to develop view from right-wing perspective. In order to become a neoliberal and leftist, all you have to do is just turn on TV and stop arguing or thinking, hence why folks that chose to do latter served as inspiration for NPC meme.

Please do answer the following questions one for one:

Do you believe that if one "critically assesses information" will inevitably become a right-winger?

What does it even mean to be a right-winger?'

What if people assess the same information you assess and draw different conclusions than you?

When was it the last time someone burned a library in Canada?

In order to become a neoliberal and leftist, all you have to do is just turn on TV and stop arguing or thinking, hence why folks that chose to do latter served as inspiration for NPC meme.
    A few years later and I'm still impressed how those 2 mortal enemies became BFFs. Some serious social engineering went on.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

“You’re dehumanising me, you Russian bot”
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

If people are going to be critical, they need to start using arguments that cannot be turned around at them.
    Look what my YouTube feed just dragged in.
    (First post updated)

I've thought about it long and hard and I still don't get it. What exactly do these people, right wingers as they deem themselves, want? The right to form little egoistic echo chambers where they can circulate the signature platform one-phrases among same minded individuals? Or do they seek to flaunt their mediated consumer products of a persona in the face of a presumably shocked public? Has anyone given some thought as to how exactly does excluding or including them from this platform service these ends?

It takes some guts to admit that your self professed "rebellion" against the system is simply a striving towards the very same sentiments and actions that the "system" wants to hoist on you.
    Last edited by Carl Jung was right; October 21, 2018 at 01:03 AM.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    “You’re dehumanising me, you Russian bot”
    Ironic, isn't it?
    I also like the ones that attempt to claim that this might lead to violence but have no issue with people who say that all Republicans are Nazis and that Nazis should be punched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    I've thought about it long and hard and I still don't get it. What exactly do these people, right wingers as they deem themselves, want?
    The ability to express themselves freely without being censored.
    Last edited by nhytgbvfeco2; October 21, 2018 at 01:11 AM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

To be fair I think this was just a normal meme before politicos took it over
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    I also like the ones that attempt to claim that this might lead to violence but have no issue with people who say that all Republicans are Nazis and that Nazis should be punched.

I believe we can agree that left wing totalitarianism is on the rise.
    I fear it will get a lot worse before it gets any better.

The ability to express themselves freely without being censored.
    Also the ability to call people uncritical for not being alt-right - without being censored about it.
    Last edited by paleologos; October 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

omg another Wojak meme..... Ohh no a meme is getting told to die, becouse people are spamming it, ooohhhh noooo.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Ironic, isn't it?
    While 99% of the left don't take those actions don't expect them to feel sorry for it.

I believe we can agree that left wing totalitarianism is no the rise.
    I fear it will get a lot worse before it gets any better.
    Newton's 3rd Law.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    While 99% of the left don't take those actions don't expect them to feel sorry for it.
    Yeah? And how many have been attacked by right wingers for being "NPC's"?

Also the ability to call people uncritical for not being alt-right - without being censored about it.
    I believe that this falls under the umbrella of "expressing themselves". If you're going to start censoring peoples views for them being wrong, start with anti-vaxers and flat earthers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I.e. being gutless, Gaiden's 99% don't go around falsely calling people they disagree with Nazis and then punch them, they do agree with it when their, only slightly less cowardly (slightly less in that even though they do so masked, in groups, and then run away, they do face some possibility of retaliation), comrades do.

Please do answer the following questions one for one:

No, but one would need to do so to become a right-winger in a modern Western society.
    What does it even mean to be a right-winger?'
    What? Where did I say that?

When was it the last time someone burned a library in Canada?
    What are you even talking about? You seem to either not have read my post or are simply trying to twist my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    I.e. being gutless, Gaiden's 99% don't go around falsely calling people they disagree with Nazis and then punch them, they do agree with it when their, only slightly less cowardly (slightly less in that even though they do so masked, in groups, and then run away, they do face some possibility of retaliation), comrades do.
    Go ahead and arrest the guy for assault. If anybody wants to accuse me of not wanting the law enforced I've been on the record for this many times. Run the investigation, find out who did it, arrest them. You've got an entire career's worth of people who figure out who commit crimes for a living. It shouldn't be hard.

We won't feel sorry for the Nazi though. Get real.

Yeah? And how many have been attacked by right wingers for being "NPC's"?
    Yea, you ask that irrelevant question. While I address the actual elephant in the room when we have actual video of actual white supremacists/modern nazis getting assaulted on video on streets by masked people.
    Last edited by Gaidin; October 21, 2018 at 10:34 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.