Thread: Mac launch issues - help needed please

Default Mac launch issues - help needed please

Hi guys

Haven't been able to find this specific issue on the forums, and I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly.

I'm using the up-to-date Steam version of M2TW:Kingdoms on Mac OS Sierra. Have installed the latest EB2 using Wine to run the installer. The data all appears to be in the correct folder (Medieval2data/mods/ebii). I have moved the no_banner.mesh file out, as well as the settlements folder (as described in this post http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...I-2-3-released!). I also added --features.mod=mods/EBII to the launch options in Steam, as instructed.

When I attempt to launch the game (using Steam), the usual launcher opens. I then start the game but vanilla M2TW launches. It appears to be plain ol' vanilla, just without the ability to launch a campaign (says please select an item from the list). If I remove the --features.mod=mods/EBII from launch options, then it 100% normal vanilla.

I don't know what I've missed, as I think I have followed all the installation instructions? If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. I loved EB1 and am really keen to try EB2. Thanks!

Default Re: Mac launch issues - help needed please

Quote Originally Posted by unstableheron View Post
    Hi guys

Haven't been able to find this specific issue on the forums, and I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly.

I'm using the up-to-date Steam version of M2TW:Kingdoms on Mac OS Sierra. Have installed the latest EB2 using Wine to run the installer. The data all appears to be in the correct folder (Medieval2data/mods/ebii). I have moved the no_banner.mesh file out, as well as the settlements folder (as described in this post http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...I-2-3-released!). I also added --features.mod=mods/EBII to the launch options in Steam, as instructed.

When I attempt to launch the game (using Steam), the usual launcher opens. I then start the game but vanilla M2TW launches. It appears to be plain ol' vanilla, just without the ability to launch a campaign (says please select an item from the list). If I remove the --features.mod=mods/EBII from launch options, then it 100% normal vanilla.

I don't know what I've missed, as I think I have followed all the installation instructions? If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. I loved EB1 and am really keen to try EB2. Thanks!
    Good to hear that you got it installed and thanks especially for the detailed report on the steps you've taken. Look in the mods\ebii folder and you'll see the player guide 2.3.pdf. Open that and carefully read everything in pages 107 through 111. It sounds like you've done most things correctly, but I'm guessing you've missed a step - maybe by not first starting up an actual Kingdoms campaign (not just getting to the menu, but launching a campaign) or perhaps not using the launch.bat file to start EB2.
    EBII Council

Here is something to try:
    When you start up using steam and you get the screen that allows you to choose between Vanilla, Americas, etc, hit play.
    Does the opening dialogue box with tabs for info, display, extras, support and advanced come up? If so, choose advanced and put the --features.mod=mods/EBII string in the advanced options box (making sure the toggle box is checked).
    If not quit and restart holding down the command key when hitting play and the dialogue box should show up.

I ran on my Mac using macOS for years with very few issues. I recently upgraded to a newer Mac and have installed windows10 using bootcamp and again have found EBII runs fine with this setup as well, with the added benefit of not having the few macOS quirks. For example the Mac version does not support error logs, some of the movies don’t play, and some of the settlements revert to the vanilla MTW2 versions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies.

To Kull:

I went through the instructions again and couldn't find something I wasn't doing. I have launched Kingdoms campaigns (have played a fair amount of vanilla post-installation) but no difference. One thing I was perplexed by though is the instruction to launch using the launch.bat. Most of the instructions say to launch using Steam launcher? I have tried to launch using launch.bat (and Wine) but it just says no file found.

To Caymus:

I have tried putting the string in the advanced options box with no luck. If the string is in the advanced options box only (i.e. not in the launch options in Steam) then it launches vanilla without the ability to play a campaign. If it is in both advanced options and launch options, then it crashes immediately with error 361, CA_LIBS. If it is in neither, then it launches normal vanilla.

Thanks again for both of your help.

Unfortunately I do not have a Mac, so there's no first hand experience I can share, nor can I help walk you through it. Obviously (and this is not a criticism) you are missing something, as other people with Macs are able to play successfully. Be that as it may, perhaps you could try Caymus' suggestion of installing Win10 using bootcamp, as EB2 under that o/s (awful as it is in other ways) seems to offer more features.
    EBII Council