Thread: Life & Death in the Legions (RS 3.1 Rome 1 Turn)

Default Life & Death in the Legions (RS 3.1 Rome 1 Turn)

My name is Flavius. I grew up in the Legions (15 years since a teen), and I know no other life. It is hard life, but it is the only family I have ever known. The year is around 261BC.

Sometimes, they call me Flavius "The Story Teller". Rome is at war, but then what else is new.

A quiet war simmers with the Greeks, and a hot war glows between us and the Carthaginians and Gallaeci.

We have been training and refitting in the great city itself, Rome, learning new techniques as Polybians under General Marcellus.

When pouring out of the woodlands of the North, The Boii Confederation appeared determined to loot and plunder with well organized hords.

Our training was quickly curtailed and we marched quickly to a position North of Ariminum.

For most of our men were off fighting distant battles in Iberia. Only The Legion X Marcellus stood to defend the northern frontier.

And this is where I will tell you, the Roman soldier is the better man. He may not be taller or wider than the barbarian, but soldier for soldier, he is better trained, better disciplined, and more courageous.

General Marcellus let there be no doubt in our minds that he expected a fight. Even for those who were veterans of many, he said this would be one to remember. The enemy outnumbered us and were savages. They would eat our hearts for breakfast if we did not bring an end to this by night fall.

We were not your usual force owing to haste. About 4 cavalry including the general, 6 Greek archers up from the the South, and 10 princepes (infantry) cohorts. All of us only partially trained in the new polybian style of fighting.

General Marcellus positioned us high on a hill with the walls of Ariminum just to the East.

His plan was to for the Boii to march up the hill while the Greek archers picked them off. Our thin line of princepes was to hold them off while the archers continued to rain down arrows.

The plan seemed solid as General Marcellus is often given too. But then, we heard the thunder and saw the dust rising. Some how a Boii force had gotten behind us on the far side of the hill. They were racing now and just a mere 10 minutes away. They would slaughter our archers and catch the rest of us in a vise between two forces on the hill.

General Marcellus wasted no time. He ordered all of us to displace at full speed laterally, to get us out of the vise. He knew we would not all make it, but maybe, just maybe enough would make it and live to write the tale.

General Marcellus quickly got the attention of the other cavalry units hiding in the trees and signaled them to form on him immediately.

We ran like we have never run in our lives. Spears and projectiles of Boii flew past us.

General Marcellus took the cavalry and immediately began to distract the approaching Boii by engaging their skirmishers. He charged with a reckless furry in sight of the Boii infantry daring them to call off their charge upon our line. And when The General ran out of skirmishers he smashed hard into the light infantry. The General fought as an ordinary Roman. A man of of stature, a man of name, a man of family, a man of wealth, a man of The Cursus Honorum ... for that day he was no more and no less a Roman than we.

The far end of our line would not succeed to displace. They were cutoff and caught and encircled. And this is Roman discipline. The screams and shouts were of our brothers; men we had known for 10 years. We would run hard and not look back or shed a tear. If we lived, there would be many a wine soaked night for this. And this is Roman courage for they would not break and run. They would fight to the death holding down the enemy to the very last man so that we might get away and form up.

General Marcellus could do nothing. They were too thickly engaged to break their encirclement. Their lives were to be sacrificed to the God of Mars. They would never know old age and live forever in their prime; sword thrust meeting sword thrust.

We did manage to form up laterally along the hill. The General quickly came by to place lines of infantry and deepen rows of archers. And there we would fight. The infantry would be pounded, but we would not break and the archers turned the skies dark with arrows like The Boii had never seen; darker than the locusts. The General and cavalry would ride down and break small isolated group of Boii infantry and free our own from even fights.

It would be a bloody afternoon. And costly. But before the Sun set only Romans stood on the field. And this is why it may take a thousand years, but we will rule.

Flavius, The Story Teller.
    Last edited by MeiguoJinjang; October 16, 2018 at 06:59 AM.

Civis

Default Re: Life & Death in the Legions (RS 3.1 Rome 1 Turn)

pics or it didn’t happen! lol jk I wish I had the capacity in me to roleplay, but honestly I don’t have the patience. Also, I don’t believe the Romans referred to themselves as “Polybians.” The term “polybian” refers to the era that Polybius the historian wrote about, and “polybian cohorts” are the troops he wrote about.

Nitpicking aside, that was a well done story. Please add pics of dying Boiians. It adds to imagery.

I was too busy fighting to screen shot.

I like the battle recorder in Rome II.

Civis

Rome1 also has a "battle recorder" function known as "battle replay." It's not so obvious but it's hidden as a button in the victory/defeat window, the window (scroll) that shows you how many men remain, how many enemy killed, etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rome_total_war_victory_by_kingdom71-d4dhzk8.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	907.7 KB 
ID:	355406

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Nice read Mark, are you going to continue and write a complete AAR?
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

OJ33DA,

I will definitely check it out. Thanks!

Civis

Please do! Your story has inspired me to make one of my own. I'm so tired of being good at this game so maybe if I relate the actions of my generals to their traits, I'll have some interesting scenarios. Of course, none of that will matter unless I craft a narrative that motivates me to purposefully make my generals do stupid things.

OJ33DA,

I only find the option for saving replays in custom battles; not in campaign battles. Am I missing something? I don't see any place to enable it. I would love to have it.

Saul,

It was just one inspired battlefield story. TW's battle field AI is no Erwin Rommel, but then you can still get nasty surprises at times!

Civis

I did some research and it seems that CA never made it a feature to save campaign battle replays, however, I have found what seems to be a workaround. This article is for Med2 TATW but since Med2 and RTW share code, I figure that the same command could work for RTW. You'd just need to replace \Medieval II - Total War\mods\Third_Age\replays for ...\"RS3 Install folder"\replays.

Do note that 'replay names' have the same rules as 'save names' (i.e. no special characters, no spaces) so if you get an error, the name of the replay might be the issue. I implore you to try it out, maybe it'll work

Additional note: It seems like people receive errors if there aren't 'Medieval II - Total War/replays' directories. Thus if you receive an error, try making 'Rome Total War Alexander\replays' directories and putting your RS3 install in the 'Rome Total War Alexander' folder. If you are using RTW Gold then replace the previously mentioned instances of 'Alexander' with 'Gold.'
    Last edited by OJ33DA; October 18, 2018 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Add note

Nice try. But I could not get it to work at all.