Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: the calm down thread

Default the calm down thread

Right now, TWC is in a limbo-state, if i read ogre correctly.

Since it's the questions/suggestions forum..

Without flaming and going too harsh on me what makes TWC (or made) TWC great.

constructive posts only, and i'm interested to hear from the currently ex-admins as well as members.

thank you!

p.s. ignore my rank.

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

Default Re: the calm down thread

Explanation for ON's recent decisions and chaos that followed it would be something worth to start off.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Quote Originally Posted by Horsearcher View Post
    Without flaming and going too harsh on me what makes TWC (or made) TWC great.
    1) Maybe a good and reliable staff not this weak and untested one.
    2) Curia and Symposium
    3) a Common Community forum
    Just to name a few
    p.s. ignore my rank
    Its pretty hard not to.
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

and i think sincere apologies issued to those who have served TWC for a long time and then treated like poo might be quite pleasant.

ignore your rank? you meanthe one that says network admin... again
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Quote Originally Posted by spirit_of_rob View Post
    and i think sincere apologies issued to those who have served TWC for a long time and then treated like poo might be quite pleasant.
    A tad.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Reidy's Avatar Let ε<0...

You can't shoot someone in the rear and then tell them to calm down. People generally don't like being pushed around and man-handled, particuarly for no apparent reason.

p.s. ignore my rank.
    How's about we go one further?

Under the rather spiffing patronage of Justinian.
    Grandson of some fellow named the Black Prince.

Scarecrow's Avatar Ducenarius

^^ aggreed
    Legate to the Legio I Latina
    Grand Master of the Order of New Templar's

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

As far back I can remember, I always had a fascination with ancient history, especially Roman history. As I studied ancient history, I became really interested in ancient warfare and I began to study the great battles and campaigns that took place during that time. Two years ago, I was going through the pages of PC Gamer when I saw an advertisement for RTW. I always dreamed on playing a strategy game where you could control great empires and civilizations such as the Roman Empire, the Greek City States, The Seleucid Empire, etc. I bought this game as soon as it came out and I began searching for a forum website where you could discuss the aspects of the game and have great conversations with nice people. I certainly found that in the TWC.

In the TWC, not only can you discuss great TW games such as RTW but you can have great conversations and discussions with nice people around the world who have the same interest and hobby as you. None of my friends or my family has any interest in ancient history so every time I tell them, for example, about the great adventures of Caesar or Alexander the Great, they immediately get bored. The TWC is a place where I can hang my hat and have a good time with each and every visit there. There is no other site like TWC and I wanted to do all I could to help it out. I wanted to become a TWC Moderator because I wanted to help keep and preserve the things that made TWC so great in the first place and I wanted to see it improve and flourish.

When I was new to TWC, it was the Civitates and Patricians who helped me out whenever I had any questions. They taught me how to mod and troubleshoot RTW and they even gave me great lessons in ancient history. I certainly wanted to return the favor by helping out the site any way I could and helping others who were like me when I first joined. Whenever I login to the site, the first thing I do is try to help out anybody who has questions on the game, ancient history, computers, and so forth. I really enjoyed this site and I was here mostly every day to help out in any way I could. I want to thank Asterix for taking his time to sponsor me and for the wonderful offer. Hopefully, this is not the way things will end and a new TWC community is born.

Sincerely,
    Trajan
    Last edited by Trajan; January 17, 2007 at 06:16 PM.

the spirit of the curia is what made TWC great, in short. I know many people are anti-curialists (like archer for example...) and I know that i too had parted ways with the curia, but that is only because the curia could not exist under the umbrella of ogresnet.

The curia was meant to be a democracy (or republic) of sorts, and that does not work when certain people (namely, you and ogresnet) are exempt from curial proceedings or the ToS. The curialists always hungered for independance and ogresnet always resented us for that.

For the curial system to work, it has to be the sole governing body and any and all members must be asnwerable to the rules of the forum as well as the agreed upon proceedings of the curia.

Quote Originally Posted by Reidy View Post
    You can't shoot someone in the rear and then tell them to calm down. People generally don't like being pushed around and man-handled, particuarly for no apparent reason.
    Ok, let's restate it then, Let's say there is a new TWC, what would you like to see to be in it?

Civitate

I doubt that there is a chance to return what it used to be, at least not while ON rules the site.

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Our old mods/admins back?

Kino's Avatar Citizen

Deleted by user.
    Last edited by Kino; January 17, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

Sosobra's Avatar Domesticus

What makes this place great is the easy of access and the friendliness in general of the people who post here. I was never a Civates and never really wanted to be, but I do feel that the political nature of Curia caused this and several other situations do blow out of control.

If the curia was reestablished there needs to be clear-cut guidelines about dealing with ON and the Curia and where each of them stand.

On another note I would like to apologize to anyone I may have flamed yesterday, It was not constructive and only hurt the situation. However I would implore everyone to stop with flaming and name calling because all it will do is hurt the situation.
    Last edited by Sosobra; January 17, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
    I find most people irritating
    SteamID:Sosobra

With only a bit of time to spare at work, at the moment, I would say the concept of a curia which has influence was what made curia great. A curia which meant something more than glorified Role playing.
    TWC Divus

in patronicvm svb Garbarsardar patronvm celcvm qvo,Professor420et Amroth et Jones King
    Publius says: oh please, i love talk about trans-special mating. sends a gentle tickle down the back of my spine
    MarcusCorneliusMarcellus says: i sucked at exams, but was considered the best lawyer in the class, because I could always find the hole
    Evariste says: I have huge, feminine breasts and I love them

Civitate

Sosobra.

Please provide us an example when the Curia has caused problems for the site, this far it have been quite opposite, Curia getting blamed for the site/staff problems.

But in the end, I would like to see ON free TWC, that would solve the problems, indeed.

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Quote Originally Posted by Sosobra View Post
    What makes this place great is the easy of access and the friendliness in general of the people who post here. I was never a Civates and never really wanted to be, but I do feel that the political nature of Curia caused this and several other situations do blow out of control.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79012

Erm its actually George Bush who did all this

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

It's probably easier to say what didn't make Total War Center great.

Ogre's Net certainly didn't, as they have proved time and time again that, while preaching that they have the community's best interests in mind, they are either too aloof or incompetent to actually do something that worked out well for us. Most of all, their seemingly exclusive relationship with you and Honor and Glory (not saying that you two acted together or anything. I'm referring to ON not extending communication to anyone that wasn't you or him.) seemed to do the worst for the site.

As for what made it great...

Intelligent, devoted leaders and members during the beginning. Posts of a quality that rivals some print media in the Themia Devia, exclusive mods, the incentive system that was the curia, and a general level of sophistication that was high above any other gaming forum in existence.

Most importantly, a drive to do something more than what was accepted, and what was normal.

Hopefully the things that made it great can survive the great transition that is to come.
    Last edited by Evariste; January 17, 2007 at 06:23 PM.

TWC is great! And it's so easy to make! Just cook up some cocaine, and baking soda.

Oh, and I think I tasted eggs, and cinnamon.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Sosobra's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ragabash View Post
    Sosobra.

Please provide us an example when the Curia has caused problems for the site, this far it have been quite opposite, Curia getting blamed for the site/staff problems.

But in the end, I would like to see ON free TWC, that would solve the problems, indeed.
    The ambiguous nature of the relationship between the Curia, the Staff and ON; and from my perspective the constant head butting.
    Last edited by Sosobra; January 17, 2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: can't spell
    I find most people irritating
    SteamID:Sosobra

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast