Thread: About the right way to install SS for Medieval II in Steam

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Default About the right way to install SS for Medieval II in Steam

Hello.I haven't post here before,but i have tried SS some times.It was a very nice experience i can say.But it was utterly destroyed most of the time,by the enemy we call Crash to Desktop.Right now i don't have Medieval II installed but i was thinking about the game and i wanted to play it again and of course to play it with SS.But i need a small help: I've encountered many installing guides but i got confused didn't know who to is the right one,i tried some but it was a fail and eventually gave up.Please,i can post here my system information and all stuff you want,i just want someone to give me a installation guide that is the right one for the steam version of the game.All help is welcomed.Thanks for hearing me out.

System information: CPU: AMD A6-7400K,Motherboard: A78M-E45,Ram: 8 GB DDR3, Graphics Card: GTX 750, Windows: Windows 10 64-bit.If anyone wants more information please tell me show.

P.S Really sorry if i posted in the wrong forum.I didn't pay notice and i didn't see the technical help forum.Please if you want move this to the technical help forum.
    Last edited by crazyroman; October 13, 2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Moving to another forum

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: About the right way to install SS for Medieval II in Steam

With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Thank you very much ! I will try out this installation guide and let's hope it will work.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crazyroman View Post
    Thank you very much ! I will try out this installation guide and let's hope it will work.
    Feel free to post in that thread or here if you run into a hitch, and remember to very explicitly follow the instructions.

Edit - I've sounded rather flat, haven't I? Np at all, and even if you're in the wrong spot, it's not particularly difficult to straighten out the thread's location.
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; October 13, 2018 at 03:12 PM.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

I found somewhere one saying i should not install the base game in programs files or programs files (x86) with steam in Win 10.Should i reinstall it somewhere else ?

MatVego's Avatar Civis

I had installed steam version in my Win8.1 in x86 program files and everything its ok. Just remember to install all files as administrator and install SS6.4 BUGFIX COMPILATION v1.27.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."
    - Benjamin Franclin (1706-1790)
    "The best fortress which a prince can possess is the affection of his people."
    -
    Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527)
    "A Nation That Does Not Respect His Past, Does Not Deserve Respect Of The Present And Has No Right To The Future."
    -Józef Piłsudski (1867-1935)

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by crazyroman View Post
    I found somewhere one saying i should not install the base game in programs files or programs files (x86) with steam in Win 10.Should i reinstall it somewhere else ?
    this pretty much depends on whether ur running UAC or not. UAC makes adjustments to files in those locations hard (in your main drive in general) which if you are running a mod on a game (which adjusts the base files) can cause conflicts.

So, either a) install outside main drive, b) outside program files, or c) remember to run the ss_setup/mods 'as administrator' every time. Its a way to avoid hassles but not strictly necessary so to say.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

In addition to the above, temporary files or even saves written to Program Files may be rerouted to VirtualStore, which is a long, deep, dirty directory that means you may sometimes not be able to find your saves, screenshots, etc. At worst, UAC can outright block file writing or more demanding game behavior, causing it to crash outright at times on larger mods (like Stainless Steel).