Thread: My New Rig with GPU GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-cre 64-thread CPU

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

Default My New Rig with GPU GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-cre 64-thread CPU

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my impressions of my new rig, for which I've been saving and slaving up all this time, to splurge finally.

Also, I needed such a powerful rig because I'm doing more and more 3D meshing/modeling/tutorials/YouTube Let'sPlays and that means lots of video editing/rendering, etc. The powerful CPU is meant to help with multitasking particularly around video recording, encoding, rendering, etc.

Anyways, without further ado, here are the system specs:

SYSTEM SPECS
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X (LOVE IT!)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core Processor, 3000 Mhz
    CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Premium-Grade 140mm CPU Cooler for AMD TR4/SP3
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    VIDEO RAM: 11 GB
    Monitor: OMEN 27 by HP, 27-inch, QHD 165Hz 1ms with NVIDIA G-SYNC
    Resolution: 2560x1440p (both in-game and desktop)
    Motherboard: MSI MEG X399 CREATION
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1.00, 7/24/2018
    SYSTEM RAM: 32.0 GB (31.9 GB): G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    OS Version: 10.0.17763 Build 17763
    STORAGE:
    1 SSD (OS, games, executables): 2 TB: Samsung 970 EVO: NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
    1 HDD (everything else: files, mods, pictures, etc): 2 TB: WD Black: 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache 3.5 inch

PERIPHERALS:
    Desk: Arozzi Arena Gaming Desk (Pure Black)
    Chair: DXRacer Drifting Series (Black/White)
    Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600 Gaming Mouse
    Keyboard: Aula Be Fire Gaming Keyboard
    Headset: Sentey Arches GS-4730: Virtual 7.1 USB DAC Gaming Headset Arches with Vibration Intelligent 4d Extreme Bass Gaming Headphone with In-Line Control (Black)

I just recently had put everything together, because the GPU took so long to arrive actually. Even though I preordered my GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founder's Edition on August 21st... I did not receive it on September 20th, or September 27th, and only received it this week on Monday 8th. I'm still thankful though, since original date was November 5th, 2018. Sheeesh!

However, I did receive the REST of the system, by parts, and all by September 22nd about. So I was already able to boot up and make sure everything worked with the MOBO, CPU, while using my old GPU: the venerable Nvidia GeForce GTX 970.

BEFORE jumping into the BENCHMARKS, a couple of topics to cover: 1) HYPERTHREADING (CPU thread utilization) and 2) VIDEO MEMORY.

HYPERTHREADING

First of all, I was really surprised just how poorly optimized for hyper-threading CA titles are. I tested on the following four CA TW titles:

1. Rome II
    2. Attila
    3. Warhammer I
    4. Warhammer II

In all of these titles, even modern Warhammer II, I noticed that the maximum number of threads handled is 8. Past 8, into 9 threads, 10, etc. performance dips into the low 10-15 fps. Most stable number of threads was however 4. I really do think that ALL CA TW titles are optimized for a 4-thread process.

You can force the CA TW titles to utilize hyperthreading via going to:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Attila\scripts
    and so on for other titles, instead of Attila

number_of_threads 4; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #
    number_of_threads_for_campaign_pathfinder_cache 4; # number_of_threads_for_campaign_pathfinder_cache <int>, Set the number of threads to be used for the campaign pathfinder cache. This is independent from and additional to the number_of_threads < 0 - automatic up to the specified number, >=0 = explicit number #

This means, that my Threadripper at 64 threads, is sitting pretty idling with the rest of the 60 threads (unless later I did push with XBOOST from my MOBO's utility app, but that's different). Still, largely all those extra threads are under-utilized by CA TW titles.

So, yes, I'm largely wasting my CPU Threadripper with these terribly CPU-hyperthreading unoptimized CA TW titles. The latest Warhammer II is definitely doing better, but not by much. Even with Warhammer II, no more than 8 threads can be forced via preferences.txt
    Thus, my recommendation for these TW titles is to go for at MOST an 8-core/16-thread CPU... but otherwise CA TW still optimizes for just 4-core/8-threads I think.

VIDEO MEMORY
    1. Rome 2: 4GB
    2. Attila: 4GB
    3. Warhammer I: 11 GB
    4. Warhammer II: 11 GB
    Only the newer CA TW titles such as Warhammer I and Warhammer II correctly identified my GPU as having 11 GB of VRAM. Rome 2 and Attila did not. No matter if even setting in the preferences. The highest available VRAM optimized for Rome 2 and Attila is 4K.. that's it

BENCHMARKING with MY OPTIMAL SETTINGS

Now, let's move onto BENCHMARK performances and my OPTIMAL settings. My goal was to achieve a rock-steady 59-60 fps. I'm not interested in pushing maximum frames. I'd rather have a steady performance with as many graphical settings cranked up to Ulra/Extreme/etc, while lowering down the most impactful but not that visually great settings (Shadows, SSAO, Unit Detail from far away, etc).
    GPU driver version: 416.34
    (Since the RTX drivers are so new, I'd wager performance would increase... also the RTX would be patched in anyways... I need to get Tomb Raider or something to really test that feature though)

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL SETTINGS

Manage 3D Settings (1/2):

Manage 3D Settings (2/2):

IMPORTANT ones I changed from defaults:
    1. Maximum pre-rendered frames: Set to 4
    2. OpenGL rendering GPU: Set as GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    3. Texture Filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: ON
    4. Threaded Optimization: ON
    THIS IS the MOST IMPORTANT one, especially for AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX since just recently Nvidia improved its threaded optimization with the larger 32-core CPUs
    5. Triple Buffering: ON
    TO help with VSYNC, because I find that individual games do VSYNC better than Nvidia does.
    YES, I DO use VSYNC even with GSYNC enabled. Why? To smooth out micro-stutters and micro-tears... which I do SEE cutting across the line, EVEN with GSYNC on.... but possibly in the future, as the RTX driver software matures and their support for GSYNC monitors, I'll go back to just GSYNC with no VSYNC on.

PhysX connect to the GPU:

I have no idea why the default is not set to the GPU.

RESOLUTION:
    Set Refresh Rate to 60Hz.

Change ASPECT:
    This one is weird. Even though the resolution before is set to the Refresh Rate of 60Hz... there is no way that I can change that 165Hz Refresh Rate of the Change Aspect.. it never saves. Everytime time I reopen this window, it's back to 165 Hz, the highest. Grrrr. Perhaps connection with the Manage 3D settings (highest) but I think it's something else.

Lastly but not least:
    Make sure that GSYNC is on, if you have a GSYNC-compatible monitor:

Format:
    1. Settings in-game
    2. BENCHMARK

ROME II

SETTINGS:

BENCHMARK:

NOTE: Above results were obtained after I fixed an issue with my MOBO Realtek Universal HD Audio drivers, per this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3789195/major-stuttering-games-rtx-2080.html
    Otherwise, before installing my MOBO's Live Update (that updated and installed many other goodies such as XBOOST, which actually really did help!), my ROME II performance was like this below:

As you can see, there were noticeable STUTTERS or lag spikes hitting low 23s and such. So DO update your MOBO software, especially the AUDIO drivers!
    Also, DO TURN on XBOOST or similar. That really did help even out for more stable performances for me.

Attila

Overall, Attila's performance is the WORST out of ALL four of these tiles. I REALLY had to do my research and turn down most settings. That's just unacceptable.
    SETTINGS:

BENCHMARK:

Warhammer I

SETTINGS:

BENCHMARK:

Warhammer II

SETTINGS:

BENCHMARK 1 SETUP [BATTLE]:

BENCHMARK 1 PERFORMANCE:

BENCHMARK 2 SETUP [CAMPAIGN]:

BENCHMARK 2 PERFORMANCE:

BENCHMARK 3 SETUP [SKAVEN]:

BENCHMARK 3 PERFORMANCE:

Th-th-that's all folks! I hope this post was helpful to others out there, especially with the tips about updating all your drivers, especially SOUND drivers, and turning on GAME BOOST or similar features of your MOBO, CPU, or GPU.

If you guys have any suggestions or improvements or even better optimal settings, I'd LOVE to know. Drop me a hint or tip here in this thread.

For example, I don't like that such a powerful rig as mine STILL struggles with that SKAVEN benchmark. Like seriously?!!! Grrrrrr

Best regards,
    TG

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: My New Rig with GPU GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-cre 64-thread CPU

With something called a Threadripper, no wonder TW games are afraid to go further.

But seriously, looks decent, thanks for the time and data.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: My New Rig with GPU GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-cre 64-thread CPU

A few points:

1)According to most tech reports, Hyper-threading is actually harmful for your FPS, since it's spreads the usage of resources and Warscape plays better with 4 cores at their max power. That's a know issue since Empire.
    2)RTX is pretty useless when games aren't programmed specifically for it and since all Total War games are older than this new NVIDIA addition, RTX just throttles your FPS. Wait for good optimized games like Battlefield and you'll surely see better results.
    3)4K even when it's possible greatly throttles your FPS Warscape is supposed to be played on 1080p max 1440p for a better experience. Since we're talking about millions of textures in such resolution and the engine can't keep up no matter the hardware you're using.
    4)CPU wise, Total War games will have the same performance running on a 7700K-8700K or Threadripper-NASA pc, since the core utilization is non existent.
    5) For various performance Tips and Tricks you could check my Thread. Just click on my signature.

Have fun with your Rig
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 14, 2018 at 02:00 PM.

To be quite honest, you really don't need a RTX 2080 TI to play good TW games. It's even overkill if you play the latest games. First, because of the 32bit limitation of many of the TW games (your stuck with 4GB of RAM and GPU memory). Sadly, WH1 and 2, while made on 64bit environment, it's not yet fully optimizing the cores (CPU) and memory of the GPU. Most of the recent games even are not yet programmed to fully utilize the cores on a CPU (most of them use max 4 physical cores). That's why it's always interesting to have a CPU with a high clock speed. I am also a modeler and texturer (and modder). I just a bought a Ryzen 5 2600 (6 cores and 12 threads), a good all rounder. It's actually still an overkill for gaming, but good for when you work in 3D environment (for rendering and such, same for threadripper). That's why i bought it. And as i am a Shogun 2 modder, not that necessary to have such an overkill. It's just not optimized for it. Threadripper is especially good for engineering projects in 3D (with those 32 physical cores and 64 threads). Pretty crazy.....but for gaming, well not yet. Maybe in the future.

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks for responding guys! Much appreciated

@Commodus: Yeah, I tried to find a Technical forum, but they're spread between different titles, not for TW titles in general. Actually, World of Warcraft with patch 8.1 is finally adding more multi-core/hyperthreading support, finally. So there's some good news... but it's still up to the developers to support that.

@Greek Strategos: Woa! Thanks buddy!

1. I didn't know that! Thanks for confirming. Yeah 4 cores seems to be the sweet spot.
    2. Hmmm I see, I see. I'll check it out in Battlefield or Tomb Raider, just to see RTX fully in action.
    3. I play at 1440p, it's decent. But any more, yes I agree that Warscape as an engine falters.
    4. True true, sadly
    5. Ooooh will definitely do! I'm always looking for tips and tricks with performance... Warscape needs to be overhauled or revamped substantially

Will definitely do! Just tough to find the time in my increasingly busy schedule to even game, modding now is tough for me, once Real Life settles down a bit.

@izzi: That's what I've come to the same conclusion... so all that talk of Attila being for newer GPU titles... nope, CA WRONG! Modernize and optimize your aging Warscape engine first, I'd say.

Ooooh coolio! Kudos! We need more modders/modelers/texturers. Yeah, your purchase is more balanced and more bang for your buck for sure. Well at least... perhaps I just made a long-term investment in the CPU department, hoping that future game devs utilize these resources... otherwise this long-term investment would never really pay back, I'm afraid.

I disagree about GPU power. As a dedicated gamer who plays a ton of multiplayer, you really want every single frame you can get... anything to stay above 120FPS at all times. I have a 1080 TI now and I still run everything at 1080p just to make sure my minimum frames are as close to 120fps as possible. For people who want maximum frames at max settings at all times... I'd say it's well worth the investment to always get the latest and baddest GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    I disagree about GPU power. As a dedicated gamer who plays a ton of multiplayer, you really want every single frame you can get... anything to stay above 120FPS at all times. I have a 1080 TI now and I still run everything at 1080p just to make sure my minimum frames are as close to 120fps as possible. For people who want maximum frames at max settings at all times... I'd say it's well worth the investment to always get the latest and baddest GPU.
    It really depends how the developers have optimized the game to use a (specific) rendering technology of a GPU. Yes, i am sure for the future in gaming. But not for the recent/older games, as you are stuck with the optimization or engine of that specific game. Especially with the new RTX versions of Nvidia that have Raytracing enabling. It's a pretty new technology and not one game has that yet. That is why many of the reviewers can't really test it for that, because there isn't a game out yet that uses that technology. And, with many new technology's there are always new bugs. It only becomes better in time.

Foederatus

Glad I found this topic
    I am considering a new rig since I got a 4K monitor now..
    What I have now is pretty old..ASUS Z87-DELUXE. Asus GTX 770, i7-4770 3,5Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung SSD 840 EVO...
    I only play total war titles and now mainly Attila and Rome 2 total war and was planning on upgrading for Med3... But since CA decided to go Asia instead of Europe this time, it seems Med3 is not realistic until 2020 earliest.. they are really diappointing.. the only historical has been these "minimum" precourses and when they finally came with a main game it wasn't med3 or even emp 2.. but anywas..
    So the upgrade would be for Attila and R2 but now I am reading that the games can't even take advantage of the muscle of modern hardware?
    I was planning on getting the following:
    - Asus RTX 2080ti
    - Intel Core i9-9900k
    - Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3600MHz 16GB
    - ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO, S-1151
    and an Samsung SSD 1tb 970 Evo

what's your thoughts on it?