Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next RR / RC Project

Default The Next RR / RC Project

Regarding the next RR / RC project, I think one based on the Kingdoms Crusades campaign would be great. Many of the units are done already in the Early and High Era campaigns for this mod; aside from RC, it would mostly just be a matter of fitting some RR stuff on to it plus graphics, sounds etc. That isn’t critical, but if no RR we would need to use the Crusades unit costs etc, and submods like BGR would be a no-go without quite a lot of work.

Hmm, maybe it would be better to try to set it up as a proper mini-campaign within this mod.

I might be able to get onto it soon because aside from the Late Era and mini-campaigns, which I am still very keen on, with the next patch this mod will be pretty much done (yes I have said that before lol), and it would make a nice change.

A more historical Crusades version would be really good though. Its such an interesting arena, and the Youtube channel Real Crusades History would be a great resource; I can always talk to the channel lead too, he is an authority on the subject.

I really want to get these mini-campaigns going because launching into a full Grand Campaign can be a bit daunting and it takes quite a major time committment, plus frankly most of us here have played the Early and High Eras to death by now - except for me that is, have been too busy modding them! They are much more focussed on a particular region and time and I can really get my teeth into depicting the historical detail, including new units, without having to generalize. Neither are the armies so large as elsewhere, especially the Outremer (crusader) factions, and we could get pretty close to a 1:1 representation of the armies involved. There are also reasonable records of each faction’s starting forces and we could set up historical leaders. At what year does Kingdoms Crusades start?

Being so geographically restricted there is the added advantage that the turn times would be quite fast, plus we are not really talking about a long time to get them done (Gigantus helped tracked down some of the bugs preventing the completion of the existing ones).

What do you think?
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 12, 2018 at 01:25 AM.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The Next RR / RC Project

The campaign starts in 1174. Getting to flesh out factions. Maybe look to Broken Crescent as a resource. It sounds like a great idea... as long as those other mini campaigns get released.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great idea about BC.

1174. Does it simulate the Third Crusade with Richard the Lionheart, Philip II etc? Maybe that could be triggered if the Fatimids or Turks take Jerusalem or something. It could include troops from england, france, hungary, hre, milan, the teutonic order plus the templars, hospitallers, st lazarus etc at close to 1:1 scale, that would be something new.

In that case it would be nice to implement some form of BGR to simulate the supply issues faced by the crusader armies. I wonder if it would be possible to simulate drawing supplies from nearby ports?

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Great idea about BC.

1174. Does it simulate the Third Crusade with Richard the Lionheart, Philip II etc? Maybe that could be triggered if the Fatimids or Turks take Jerusalem or something. It could include troops from england, france, hungary, hre, milan, the teutonic order plus the templars, hospitallers, st lazarus etc at close to 1:1 scale, that would be something new.

In that case it would be nice to implement some form of BGR to simulate the supply issues faced by the crusader armies. I wonder if it would be possible to simulate drawing supplies from nearby ports?
    I know those generals are in the edu, but I don't recall them appearing in the campaign.

Sounds great, I totally agree

Great idea about BC.

I just did a quick play through, and yes they do simulate the Third Crusade, and Venice shows up for the 4th Crusade.

Last edited by Judeman266; October 12, 2018 at 09:13 AM.

yup, the BC idea sounds really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Judeman266 View Post
    I just did a quick play through, and yes they do simulate the Third Crusade, and Venice shows up for the 4th Crusade.

Good news, will unpack it and have a look. Now just have to scale it up to its actual size of around 35000 troops! Egypt around 25000, not sure about how many Turks. Are the Byzantines in it?
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 12, 2018 at 12:59 PM.

Good news, will unpack it and have a look. Now just have to scale it up to its actual size of around 35000 troops! Egypt around 25000, not sure about how many Turks. Are the Byzantines in it?
    Yes

Great. Will also use historical population figures for the cities etc, will be interesting to see how it all works. There is a huge amount of detailed information available on the crusades, including a lot of primary sources.

Just received this from karaislam regarding his Turkish units, have implemented some for the next patch and they are extremely high quality:

Goto anatolian principalities mod.download it.inside there are many janissary which our team created.u can use them.plus there are many turkish,turcoman,greek,crusader,mongol units which u can use.u can use that mod as a unit library.but i would advice u create seljuk sultanate with my units which i gave u only.its realistic.seljuk army used some armenian-georgian warriors from the vassals but they are not necessary though.

huh i forgot to mention one thing about unit names.its their historic names.if u wanna use english name for them.it must be like that.
    gaziyani rum---ghazi warriors
    gulemani horasan---khorasan ghulams
    gulemani saray---palace ghulam.u must use him as a hero unit.in seljuk faction in unit picture on the menu we must see his picture
    gulemani deylem---daylamid javelinmen or warrios
    selcuklu yaycısı---seljuk arhers
    selcuklu atlı okcusu---seljuk horse archers
    sipahiyan---sipahis.u must use him as general bodyguard
    turkmen alp---turcoman infantry
    turkmen atlı okcusu---turcoman horse archers
    turkmen ciritcisi---turcoman javelinmen
    turkmen kargıcısı---turcoman spearmen
    turkmen yaycısı---turcoman archers
    mounted officer for mount units
    foot officer for foot units
    king and generals models u can use from anatolian principalities mod.

Nice!

Real Crusades History channel vids on the time around the Third Crusade:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xNlxpFp8IkhL7p

Huh, just saw I was 'promoted' to Opifex back in 2010, never noticed it until now lol.
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 12, 2018 at 04:11 PM.

Good idea!Would be nice to see some new muslim factions. I believe Georgia should be fitting to the nap too.

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

maybe finish minimods first and test the new feutures on them then make a bugfix to each problem then Import them into the GC.

Things make Campaing Vital to me (PLAYABLE): -Historical Accurate Starting Factions
    -Unit Diversity +Visual effects
    -Elite Units Encouraging Upgrading Castles and Cities
    -Factions re-Emerge
    -Historical inspired Traits System(+Ancillary and Crowns)
    -Units Stat are Reflected on Battlefield
    -No Unit Training Restriction rather than the Damn Historical Date and Money(No unit Cap)
    -AOR system +BGV as a Submod
    -Select The Hier and Family Dynasties as Bourbon,Capet,Zengids,...etc
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.E View Post
    Things make Campaing Vital to me (PLAYABLE): -Historical Accurate Starting Factions
    -Unit Diversity +Visual effects
    -Elite Units Encouraging Upgrading Castles and Cities
    -Factions re-Emerge
    -Historical inspired Traits System(+Ancillary and Crowns)
    -Units Stat are Reflected on Battlefield
    -No Unit Training Restriction rather than the Damn Historical Date and Money(No unit Cap)
    -AOR system +BGV as a Submod
    -Select The Hier and Family Dynasties as Bourbon,Capet,Zengids,...etc
    May I ask you to elaborate:
    - what part of the BGR is essential (and is it "V" or any BGR?)
    - what's the issue with training restriction - how it should be?
    - the elites should only be from higher levels of the castles?
    JoC

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    =
    - what part of the BGR is essential (and is it "V" or any BGR?)
    I Like Mostly The Siege and Supply BGR Traits and the rest like Command chain and else i literally play without it or reverse to an old BGR version, i love to make an Imaginary world and that without restriction to make it hard, rather than money and diplomacy ofc

- what's the issue with training restriction - how it should be?
    Mostly SS and its Subs like Lowering Recruitment as it take long to replenish and to value your Higher troops and such blah blah, to be honest if i had the money and i need to train infinity of troops i must have the ability to do that only limitation should be time to train those units not Capacity of Units To train them (i.e Peasants 0 turns,Early 1 Turns, Professional 1-2,Militia 0,Mercenary 0,Elite and High 2-3 turns,...by Zero i would like to make it mercenary likewise recruitment and remove it from the buildings availability ... as if i have a city and its only that why my Hier outside the city Rally peasants and militia for Promise of Glory(Not Money) and Get The Capital.

- the elites should only be from higher levels of the castles?
    JoC
    I Mod My Games Always and Elites to my taste is to Make it Impossible to Kill 10 out of 100 men of them but can route them and make the whole battles depend on fear factore of Elite units and tactics rather than killing soldier, and that returns us to above point that why restrict capacity while you can Be Historic and make Battles less Causality and more fear factors.

----------------
    at Last iits only my taste and i literally mod my games and mods to this criteria or find a semi-similar mod to easily change it to my taste and this Mod (RR/RC is my new Candy and i like to see in it most or all of this stuff it will be Great !)
    Last edited by M.A.E; October 13, 2018 at 12:32 PM.

I like to think of it as more like Crack than Candy

Unpacked the Crusades Kingdoms campaign today and had a look at the files. Will definitely set it up as another campaign option. I think the conversion will be (relatively) painless. There is only one new faction, Antioch, and the EDU and EDB for that share a lot with Jerusalem. Those for the existing factions will require only minimal modification. There are some additional units such as another knightly order but not that many, and generating their stats will be easy.

There are a few oddities though, such as Bohemond being there when he was in fact dead 63 years prior

BGRII can be imported easily, BGRIV with more work but it’s quite doable. Otherwise the traits and ancillaries can be merged to some degree but some will have to be pruned, updated or expanded, like the regional governorships and knightly education and faction government styles in the KER submod.

I will update BGR to take account of ports providing supplies by sea and contingents on Crusaders arriving on a semi-random basis (including new leaders) depending on events in the Holy Land. For example, if things are going well then there will be less arriving and the opposite applies. There will also be periodic and random events such as problems at home giving leaders a choice whether to return or not - failure to do so could have a variety of negative consequences, while staying will increase the character’s piety and the loyalty of his generals and the number of Crusaders arriving etc. The pope will have a much more significant effect as well. There will be friction between leaders from different parts of Europe, such as occurred between Richard and Philip, and the Byzantines will be as opportunistic as they were historically, making expedient alliances with all sides depending on the perceived short-term advantages.

The Muslim factions will be as riven with internal troubles as they were in reality, with the generals all having extremely low loyalty and the supply of new troops being choked off in response to lost battles. Thus with these mechanics, the Crusader factions will tend to maintain a more constant level of troops, while failure for the Muslims will tend to only become worse, though success will have the opposite effect. Relations between Egypt and the Turks will be uniformly poor.

Will also include effects from the Order of Assassins, whose goals often matched those of the Crusaders in holding back the advance of some Muslim factions by killing their leaders.

As I said before troop levels will as far as possible be 1:1 with reality as will settlement population levels (and we have excellent records for these); expect multiple stacks (so managing your generals will be important) and some big battles.

I have loads of ideas and welcome any from you guys. I think the campaign will provide many interesting tactical and strategic challenges, with the goal of making the player’s decisions important.
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 14, 2018 at 09:52 AM.

Ok have started work on this along with continuing The Reconquista initially.

What I want and what I need aren’t necessarily the same thing Besides, the sooner they are started the sooner they will be finished, which is a bit like standard practice during the Titanic era being to go through iceberg zones as quickly as possible in order to reduce the time they were exposed to danger, but whatever
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 18, 2018 at 08:00 AM.

Considering how many mods have already done the crusades, and that M2TW by default deals with crusades, I am very much in favor of you focusing your efforts on bringing a late medieval era grand campaign scenario to M2TW.

There is basically no mod that has a grand campaign renaissance scenario M2TW, and that is what I believe should be tried, the 1370 era you proposed, or an even later date, like 1453.

We have literally 0 such scenarios, with a gaping hole between so many high medieval period mods and the single 30 years war mod, and it has been over a decade of M2TW modding.

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Mamlaz View Post
    Considering how many mods have already done the crusades, and that M2TW by default deals with crusades, I am very much in favor of you focusing your efforts on bringing a late medieval era grand campaign scenario to M2TW.

There is basically no mod that has a grand campaign renaissance scenario M2TW, and that is what I believe should be tried, the 1370 era you proposed, or an even later date, like 1453.

We have literally 0 such scenarios, with a gaping hole between so many high medieval period mods and the single 30 years war mod, and it has been over a decade of M2TW modding.
    Totally Agreed with you , i still didn't download till confirms that late era campaign is Playable at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast