Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vote suppresion by Trump regime has begun

Papay's Avatar Primicerius

Default Vote suppresion by Trump regime has begun

ATLANTA — Marsha Appling-Nunez was showing the college students she teaches how to check online if they're registered to vote when she made a troubling discovery. Despite being an active Georgia voter who had cast ballots in recent elections, she was no longer registered.
    "I was kind of shocked," said Appling-Nunez, who moved from one Atlanta suburb to another in May and believed she had successfully changed her address on the voter rolls.

"I've always voted. I try to not miss any elections, including local ones," Appling-Nunez said.
    She tried re-registering, but with about one month left before a November election that will decide a governor's race and some competitive U.S. House races, Appling-Nunez's application is one of over 53,000 sitting on hold with Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp's office. And unlike Appling-Nunez, many people on that list — which is predominantly black, according to an analysis by The Associated Press — may not even know their voter registration has been held up.
    Tuesday was Georgia's deadline to register and be eligible to vote in the November General Election.Kemp, who's also the Republican candidate for governor, is in charge of elections and voter registration in Georgia.

His Democratic opponent, former state Rep. Stacey Abrams, and voting rights advocacy groups charge that Kemp is systematically using his office to suppress votes and tilt the election, and that his policies disproportionately affect black and minority voters.
    Kemp denies it vehemently.
    But through a process that Kemp calls voter roll maintenance and his opponents call voter roll purges, Kemp's office has cancelled over 1.4 million voter registrations since 2012. Nearly 670,000 registrations were cancelled in 2017 alone.

In a recent television appearance on Comedy Central's "The Daily Show With Trevor Noah" Abrams called Kemp "a remarkable architect of voter suppression." That's become a rallying cry for Democrats in the governor's race, which recent public polling shows in a statistical dead heat.

Kemp, meanwhile, says Abrams and allied liberal activists are twisting his record of guarding Georgia elections against voter fraud.
    His campaign spokesman Ryan Mahoney said in a statement that because of Kemp, "it has never been easier to vote in our state" and pointed to a new online voter registration system and a student engagement program implemented under his tenure.
    "Kemp is fighting to protect the integrity of our elections and ensure that only legal citizens cast a ballot," Mahoney said.
    Two main policies overseen by Kemp have drawn criticism and legal challenges: Georgia's "exact match" registration verification process and the mass cancellation of inactive voter registrations.

According to records obtained from Kemp's office through a public records request, Appling-Nunez's application —like many of the 53,000 registrations on hold with Kemp's office — was flagged

Under the policy, information on voter applications must precisely match information on file with the Georgia Department of Driver Services or the Social Security Administration. Election officials can place non-matching applications on hold.
    An application could be held because of an entry error or a dropped hyphen in a last name, for example.
    Appling-Nunez says she never saw any notice from Kemp's office indicating a problem with her application.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/suppression-critics-charge-georgia-gop-gov-candidate-purging-voters-election-n918761

So it seems Trump supporters fear the minority vote and have decided to block them. This has being reported in a number of key states like Georgia and Ohio. Will this purge manage to alter the final outcome of these elections?

irontaino's Avatar Deadass B
    Citizen

Default Re: Vote suppresion by Trump regime has begun

Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

Oh . I live in Atlanta. I just registered as a minority with no party affiliation. My roommate is a booster and democratic activist who is actually actively registering democratic voters, and me as well. This is pure and unadulterated poppycock. I was just in Cartersville today (Kemp's SoS office) and there were campaign posters there for his opponent all over the place.

To be clear, my last political action was to donate to the Bernie campaign as a non-white independent homosexual that lives in a county which is 54.3% black. I had no issue registering to vote as a non-white, non-republican identifying voter. Unless you think election election personnel in this state, many of which in my county on both sides I know personally, are corrupt, this is a completely moronic story. Worth mentioning I live in the 4th largest county on the state.

I can't even begin to communicate how absolutely false this story is...

Unless Republicans in the state of Georgia are psychic, which I guarantee they are not based upon the issues I have with conservative judges here, this is a completely fabricated story. But then again, ah, NBC. Makes sense...

When lose big time in November and those idiots are scrambling to explain why nobody voted for them, remember this post.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; October 12, 2018 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Slur removed.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

"Exact match" is the law in Georgia, the Secretary of State has to follow the law.

And Jesus H Christ - how hard is it to write one's name the same way twice?
    Last edited by Big War Bird; October 11, 2018 at 08:05 PM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So it's (maybe) happening only in Georgia, so that means it's the Trump "regime's" fault, and not just a localised problem. Gotcha.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

And Jesus H Christ - how hard is it to write one's name the same way twice?
    Surprisingly it can be. Case One, and Two, Three right in my own house - Myself - never really looked at my birth certificate very hard till I went to renew my passport. Apparently neither did the State Dept First time around. But now they did funny thing my answers didn't match the Birth certificate. Whomever had filled it made the Hospital location, City and County Warren - incorrect. Added letters to my Father's and my own name. I had to send a whole raft supplemental material to convince the State department i was real. My wife Social Security Admin mangled my wife's name change As scientist it was important to retain her birth name to avoid having her publication record truncated. Dashed last names are not helpful so she when with two middle names separated by a space. Looks fine on the marriage license and SS card - except they gave her two last names. For 18 years shes been signing stuff the wrong way unknowingly even Tax returns. Didn't find out until the IRS audited us for Tax evasion since they did not have record of my wife paying under her legal name. Third my daughter - Texas mangled her name. But did get our address right when her birth certificate came we tossed in document box w/o looking at. Didn't realize they mangled her name till we the school got upset about it years later, but funny thing the SS admin had not they issued card based on what i put on the forms and apparent just skimmed the BC.

Not to mention these kind of typically have odd provisions like demanding a Birth certificate from a Hospital and not a doctor signed from a home birth. I couple friends and associates who legally altered their names in the Mexican tradition. Two problems systems that don't accept spaces and add dashes or systems that can't deal with two long last names. They end up using a simple last name out of convenience.

So it's (maybe) happening only in Georgia, so that means it's the Trump "regime's" fault, and not just a localised problem. Gotcha.
    Perhaps better noted as a Republican thing. Although the tightening at the State is certainly Trump. Again 'Supplemental material'. So let's see maybe you can tell how much of this you have sitting around. Well now my problem was a BC that had issues so I could provide these:

"Baptism certificate, Hospital birth certificate (often shows baby’s footprints), U.S. Census record , Early school records, Family Bible record ,Doctor's records of post-natal"
    care .

Well you get the point you need records from near after birth. But fear not there is additional supplementary information you can add. Built a whole life providing, old Drivers licenses, Library cards, Work Ids, Other church records, Even criminal records. Because everyone saves all that right. I guess the system works if you are a hoarder.
    Last edited by conon394; October 12, 2018 at 08:47 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

So how is this Trump's fault again?
    By means of ever more effective methods of mind-manipulation, the democracies will change their nature; the quaint old forms -- elections, parliaments, Supreme Courts and all the rest -- will remain. The underlying substance will be a new kind of non-violent totalitarianism. All the traditional names, all the hallowed slogans will remain exactly what they were in the good old days. Democracy and freedom will be the theme of every broadcast and editorial [...]. Meanwhile the ruling oligarchy and its highly trained elite of soldiers, policemen, thought-manufacturers and mind-manipulators will quietly run the show as they see fit.
    -
    Aldous Huxley, Brave New World Revisited, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Work Ids.... Because everyone saves all that right. I guess the system works if you are a hoarder.
    Saves all that? Pfft. If the job is at all conscious of security they take it off your ass the moment you leave for another job.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    So how is this Trump's fault again?
    Because he is encouraging it at The federal level and supporting the overall Republican drive for such policies.

----------

Saves all that? Pfft. If the job is at all conscious of security they take it off your ass the moment you leave for another job.
    True in general, it depends on paranoid a company needs to be. For example at the biotech I worked we had a picture id that would open outside doors, but internal access was a separate key card that only opened the doors you were allowed, and a second for very sensitive doors. In general if somebody wanted to keep their picture id and left on good terms we just locked it out. But you are right you most likely cannot construct a life out work ids (university maybe)
    Last edited by conon394; October 12, 2018 at 11:48 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Voter suppression is really nothing new although yes, the GOP factually does it (despite what Ponti wants to claim).

The basic strategy of the two parties are different. GOP voters are relatively consistent, older, and less educated. They do not move much and tend to avoid the cities whether that's because being in a city liberalizes you or because conservatives dislike people who knows. Regardless focusing on rural, low educated and often affluent suburbs and older generation gives the GOP it's primary boost. Older generations of course weren't more conservative, but there's two factors which influence why older folks tend to be conservative, first liberal for their generation is now conservative in ours, second, conservative rich folks tend to live longer which slowly starts to dominate older generations as liberal voters die out.

This means that the GOP voting demographics will pretty much always vote, haven't had to change their voter registration in eons (if ever) and don't have to compete with other voters to cast their ballots. Things couldn't be more different for the Liberals however.

Liberal voters are poor, more educated, young, transient and tend to live in the cities. Without a stable home address and the average time to move between 1-2 years, registration difficulties become a massive factor to saturation of liberal voting rolls which leads to huge variances in voter turnout.

This means that when the GOP restricts voting byANY method it's a sound political strategy as it will inevitably impact liberal voters who are far more sensitive to changes than their conservative counterparts whereas when the Dems expand voting rights it's also a sound political strategy as it will impact liberal voters far more than it will benefit their conservative counterparts.

Let's look at this in specifics:

Voter ID laws. Currently about 22 (estimate) million American Citizens do not have appropriate photo ID, this ranges in reasons from being old, to never getting a driver's license (living in cities), to not being able to afford DMV fees to obtain one. What're the demographics of these voters?

25% of those w/o IDs are black 89% vote democrat when they cast their ballot only 8% vote GOP
    20% of those w/o IDs are asian 65% vote democrat when they cast their ballot only 27% vote GOP
    19% of those w/o IDs are latinx 66% vote democrat when they cast their ballot only 28% vote GOP
    18% of those w/o IDs are 18-35 57% vote democrat when they cast their ballot only 36% vote GOP
    15% of those w/o IDs earn less than $35k a year 53% vote democrat when they cast their ballot 40% vote GOP
    ^Gallop, Pew and Exit polls

That's just one way to influence the outcomes. Let's look at felons:

There's 6.1 felons in the US

Currently a third of black men have a felony conviction, about a sixth of the latino population has a felony, whereas only about 8% of whites have felony convictions. These proportion reflect the proportion who're disenfranchised pretty directly:

About 3/5 of the disenfranchised voters ~3.6 million are black (89% vote democrat, 8% vote republican)
    About 3/10 of the disenfranchised voters ~1.8 million are hispanic (66% vote democrat, 28% vote republican)
    About 3/20 of the disenfranchised voters ~0.9 million are white

Let's talk about purging voting rolls, now remember what I said about folks being transient? The more often you purge the voting rolls the less liberal voters you get. Yay!

Early voting? That's inconvenient! Let's eliminate that too (North Carolina GOP sends out memo celebrating reductions of black voting: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/20...voting-n679051)

Misinformation Campaigns. Conservatives are pretty awesome about this. Did you think public releasing of Democratic party affiliation wasn't a big deal? Conservative organizations across the US used them to mail incorrect information to democrat voters. For shame: https://www.politico.com/blogs/david...n-date-037977#

Hell, you can also just remove polling stations in blue neighborhoods, poor districts and when all else fails, close DMV's in poor neighborhoods like they did in Alabama: https://www.cnn.com/2015/12/09/polit...hts/index.html

You also get so called caging lists, where a party sends out mail to the address of the the opposite party, if the mail is turned in as undeliverable they can then petition to remove the people associated with that address from the registration. https://mtstandard.com/news/opinion/...2d567567e7.htm

Looking at this data if you were someone in control of your state's government it would behoove you to be strategic in how you go about voting because inevitably decisions you make are going to drastically impact one group more than the other. The reality is that if the Democrats were to be better served by voter suppression they would certainly engage in these tactics as well and in the past they certainly have, but for the last 50 years or so the democrats have been best served by making voter registration easier, ensuring the most people possible can vote and that is reflective in the states they control. Fewer Voter ID laws, most allow felons to vote, most make it easy to cast your ballot early, most include numerous polling places or even have people vote by mail, many Democratic states even automatically register you when the DMV possesses the appropriate information to do so.

Unfortunately, Pontifex is wrong on every level, Georgia is definitely suppressing voters and they're using tactics which are very transparent. The GOP doesn't hide this strategy, they even regularly laud it for it's effectiveness. The reality here is that the GOP survives doing what it does only because they manipulate the game to serve themselves because they can't compete with rules which are evenly applied. Fairness ironically benefits the democrats and the GOP doesn't want that.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

This is one of those reasons I still want to get a passport at some point, even if I have no plans to travel. Even though my state is more purple than anything, forcing the GOP to actually win its elections lest they get caught with their pants down doing this, it's more useful to walk into anywhere from the DMV to the voting station with both the state id and the god damn federal passport that nobody in america can argue with.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Because he is encouraging it at The federal level and supporting the overall Republican drive for such policies.
    How?
    By means of ever more effective methods of mind-manipulation, the democracies will change their nature; the quaint old forms -- elections, parliaments, Supreme Courts and all the rest -- will remain. The underlying substance will be a new kind of non-violent totalitarianism. All the traditional names, all the hallowed slogans will remain exactly what they were in the good old days. Democracy and freedom will be the theme of every broadcast and editorial [...]. Meanwhile the ruling oligarchy and its highly trained elite of soldiers, policemen, thought-manufacturers and mind-manipulators will quietly run the show as they see fit.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post
    Let's talk about purging voting rolls, now remember what I said about folks being transient? The more often you purge the voting rolls the less liberal voters you get. Yay!
    This is a regular fight for me even in a state that doesn't have a purge reputation. I can't drive medically. I have the State ID Card as opposed to a Driver's License, though I have no idea how Georgia handles this situation. I have to move from suburb to suburb just because that's the easier suburb to commute from based on the contract I have every few years. Then the battle starts with the DMV to update my ID and voter registration. Imagine if I was doing this in and around Atlanta.
    Last edited by Gaidin; October 12, 2018 at 02:10 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Papay's Avatar Primicerius

The law in some states says that if you illegally vote you might end up in prison like in this case

-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Citizen

http://fortune.com/2018/10/10/suprem...voter-id-laws/

The law requires that North Dakota residents provide identification that includes a residential street address in order to vote. But the state is home to thousands of Native Americans and others who do not have standard addresses, which the challengers argued would effectively disenfranchise them.
    But hey, there's no voter suppression going on here.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked

We have to do the same thing in Canada. So we have voter suppression too?
    -

I find it ironic that the postal service won't go onto the reservation so the IDs have the PO Box and so not good enough for voting and SCOTUS told them to off with their rights.

We've found places the postal service won't go. That's...special.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    We have to do the same thing in Canada. So we have voter suppression too?
    Correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I find it ironic that the postal service won't go onto the reservation so the IDs have the PO Box and so not good enough for voting and SCOTUS told them to off with their rights.

We've found places the postal service won't go. That's...special.
    Yep, the GOP has been riding this voter suppression train for years. Now they have an administration that will encourage them.

I think the voter suppression myth the democrats love to throw out there is just so they can mentally justify their voter fraud.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast