Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Gameplay, Campaigns of Pyrrhus (1.2.3f beta)

Default Historical Gameplay, Campaigns of Pyrrhus (1.2.3f beta)

Hello and welcome to Historical Gameplay, a YouTube channel where video games are employed to recreate and thus promote historical events. It is all about history and gaming combined, where latter is guided by the former.

if you think you may appreciate this type of approach, please check out the channel, subscribe and leave a comment to help improve the content!

the first series are on Campaigns of Pyrrhus of Epirus, based on the current Divide et Impera beta version (no longer, updated to 1.2.4b), where Pyrrhic wars are recreated.

Episode 1: Brief Introduction to Epirus
    This episode is a brief introduction to the upcoming Campaigns of Pyrrhus of Epirus series.

Episode 2: Magna Graecia
    In this episode, we take first steps in recreating the historical situation in Magna Graecia in early 278 BC.

Episode 3: Early spring 278, Rome opens campaign season
    In this episode, Romans launch their new offensive.

Episode 4: Late spring 278, Pyrrhic counteroffensive
    In this episode, Pyrrhus takes war to the Romans.

Episode 5: May-June 278, Battle of Cosentia
    In this episode, we face an attack from the remaining Roman forces in Magna Graecia.

Episode 6: Summer 278, All Quiet on the Western Front
    In this episode, we engage in post conquest housekeeping.

Episode 7: August-October 278, Consolidation in Magna Graecia
    In this episode, we attempt to consolidate our position before the next move.

Episode 8: Autumn 278, Rome Stirring
    In this episode, Rome starts to flex its muscles.

Episode 9: Winter 277, Sicilian Expedition
    In this episode, Pyrrhus marches off to liberate Sicily, all the while reinvigorated SPQR starts to loom large.

Episode 10: Winder-Spring 277, Roman Invasion

In this episode, Rome attempts to destroy Pyrrhic hold on Magna Graecia and launches a massive two-pronged attack.

Episode 11: April 277, Defense of Taras
    In this episode, we defend Taras against a combined land and amphibious assault by the Romans.

Episode 12: Spring-Summer 277, Siege of Taras
    In this episode, Pyrrhus rebuilds his strength in Sicily whilst the Senate commands their second army to succeed where the first one failed.

Episode 13: Summer 277, Mastering Sicily
    In this episode, Pyrrhus proceeds with the liberation of Sicily whilst Rome dispatches further forces south.

Episode 14: Summer-Autumn 277, Fight for Panormos
    In this episode, Pyrrhic forces in Sicily struggle for control.

Episode 15: October-December 277, Saving Taras
    In this episode, Epirotes scramble to beef up defenses of Taras.

Episode 16: Dec 277-Jan 276, Battle of Taras

In this episode, the Greeks attempt to defeat the Roman army.

Episode 17: Jan-Apr 276, Battle of Mare Adriaticum
    In this episode, Pyrrhic navy meets its Roman counterpart in their first proper naval engagement.

Episode 18: May 276, Battle of Akragas
    In this episode, Epirotes defend their Sicilian holdings.

Episode 19: May-July 276, Back to Magna Graecia
    In this episode, Pyrrhus returns to Italia.

Episode 20: Summer 276, Battle of Mare Adriaticum
    In this episode, a newly raised Roman navy challenges the Epirotes for supremacy in the Adriatic.

Episode 21: Aug-Sept 276, Regrouping of Forces
    In this episode, we try to regroup on both land and sea.

Episode 22: Sept 276, The Great Highway Battle
    In this episode, Romans attempt to eradicate Pyrrhic presence once and for all and mount their biggest offensive to-date.

Episode 23: Oct-Nov 276, Battle of Beneventum

In this episode, the Romans challenge Pyrrhus' advance.

Episode 24: Nov 276-Jan 275, Defence of Beneventum
    In this episode, Romans advance to retake the lost city.

Episode 25: Jan-Mar 275, Fight for Sicily
    In this episode, Carthage returns to the fighting pit in force.

Episode 26: March 275, Androcles at the Gates?
    In this episode, Romans test Androcles' mettle.

Episode 27: Apr-Nov 275, Return of the King
    In this episode, Pyrrhus crosses Adriatic to find Greece in turmoil.

Episode 28: Nov 275-Jan 274, Stacks of Doom
    In this episode, Rome dispatches almost ten thousand of its finest men to push the Greeks into the sea.

Episode 29: Jan-Feb 274, Enemies - Old and New
    In this episode, Androcles defends Italia whilst clouds gather over Epirote Greece.

Episode 30: Feb 274, Battle of Pella
    In this episode, Pyrrhus challenges the besieging barbarians.

Episode 31: Feb-Aug 274, Biding Time
    In this episode, Pyrrhus awaits for new opportunities.

Episode 32: Aug-Nov 274, Battle of Cosentia
    In this episode, Magna Graecia comes under attack.

Episode 33: Dec 274-Mar 273, Battle of Bruttium
    In this episode, Alexander defends Magna Graecia.

Episode 34: Apr 273, Battle of Epeiros

In this episode, Pyrrhus reacts to the Athenian offensive.

Episode 35: May 273, Conquest of Thessaly
    In this episode, Pyrrhus expands his hold on Greece.

Episode 36: June-July 273, Battle of Asculum
    In this episode, Epirotes attempt to liberate Asculum from Roman yoke.

Finale: Summer 273-Spring 272, This is Sparta
    In this episode, Pyrrhus embarks on his final campaign against legendary Sparta.
    Last edited by Sarkiss; May 05, 2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: link to new episode added

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Campains of Pyrrhus (1.2.3f beta)

cool

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Excellent. I'll give a go during weekend

Civis

Something for my taste, keep it up!

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Great production value nice to see something thought through for a change, instead of uncut copy pasta with loading screens still in there
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Quote Originally Posted by waidizss View Post
    Great production value nice to see something thought through for a change, instead of uncut copy pasta with loading screens still in there
    thanks, im trying. still learning the ropes and tricks of both video and YouTube editing though.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Excellent. I'll give a go during weekend
    thanks. Ive edited the video embedding links to DeI Team YouTube channel (and couple others). let me know what you think of video quality btw. im not sure i found the optimal recording (OBS) and rendering (Vegas Pro 14) options yet.

hope to record next episode over the coming weekend. thanks fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    Let me know what you think of video quality btw. im not sure i found the optimal recording (OBS) and rendering (Vegas Pro 14) options yet.
    Will do Sir.

Quality is good Sarkiss. It is always going to be inferior to how it looks in the editing software, due to YouTube encoding.

I like the idea of this overall. I think any Let's Play is a good thing, but I appreciate the scholarly angle.

Try not to burn yourself out though.

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    Quality is good Sarkiss. It is always going to be inferior to how it looks in the editing software, due to YouTube encoding.

I like the idea of this overall. I think any Let's Play is a good thing, but I appreciate the scholarly angle.

Let's plays are literally unwatchable. If the guy is just playing as if you were playing yourself it is the most boring thing to watch. TW games offer so much space for story telling and roleplaying. I have more fun doing pretend dialogues between generals and coming up with fake intrigue than some the let's plays out there. I don't understand why people don't use this sandbox experience to make their own experience rather than just tryhard at a game that has no hardness level.

To use this game to explain some elements of history is great, I mean it doesn't even have to be the same faction. Why not just play a campaign you like and explain ancient history while doing it? That already would be better than most content out there and if you actually try to simulate the campaigns in-game, well I mean, that would be like top notch. A lot of people use WarThunder footage to explain how aircraft/tanks worked and that is brilliant.
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Centenarius

I really enjoyed episode one. Looking forward to episode two!

Quote Originally Posted by waidizss View Post
    Let's plays are literally unwatchable. If the guy is just playing as if you were playing yourself it is the most boring thing to watch.
    That's highly subjective though. We can't enforce what people will find boring or amusing

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post

wise words. it takes far longer to produce that it seems, even with no fancy editing involved. enjoyed your EB2-based series, btw

here is episode 2, where i undertake first steps to get the things going in Greater Greece.
    https://youtu.be/u6bLDWMfUpQ

PS. can a moderator fix a typo in a thread's title please: 'Campains of Pyrrhus' should be 'Campaigns of Pyrrhus' (missing a 'g')

thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    PS. can a moderator fix a typo in a thread's title please: 'Campains of Pyrrhus' should be 'Campaigns of Pyrrhus' (missing a 'g')

thanks everyone
    Done

Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Campaigns of Pyrrhus (1.2.3f beta)

Really loving this type of gameplay. Keep it up man!

Loved the video's sofar, since you're recreating Pyrrhus' exploits, are you also going to eventually 'lose' to Rome and try to take Macedon instead?
    Last edited by Dardo21; October 15, 2018 at 08:46 PM.

Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Loved the video's sofar, since you're recreating Pyrrhus' exploits, are you also going to eventually 'lose' to Rome and try to take Macedon instead?
    I too am wondering where he will be taking us on this great historical campaign.

BTW, I've been playing every Total War game since the first, and until I watched the second episode I never realized I could just type in a new name for your army.
    Last edited by Fluke; October 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    I too am wondering where he will be taking us on this great historical campaign.

BTW, I've been playing every Total War game since the first, and until I watched the second episode I never realized I could just type in a new name for your army.
    Never stop learning.

Icon1 Re: Historical Gameplay, Campaigns of Pyrrhus (1.2.3f beta)

a good question. it isnt easy to recreate anything but linear expansions with total war, but losing on purpose isnt really necessary in our case, i think. Pyrrhus wasn't out to destroy Rome and he managed to hold on to Taras up until his death in Peloponnese in 272. my design is to fulfill Pyrrhus' design of controlling Magna Graecia, Sicily and some of Greece (Epirus + Makedon). Sicily aside, he came pretty close to realising this ambition so i'd like to first follow in Pyrrhus' footsteps and give Sicily a try and then see if we can reclaim Makedon where he once ruled.

btw, i was really tempted to play with Alternative Economy and your latest update (as this is usually my submod of choice by default) but then decided to go for a beta patch and just have 'increased costs and upkeep' for this campaign. really hope that the AE will be supported in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post

glad it was of some use. im not a 'fluent' Rome 2 player (still cant get into vanilla) but will try and share whatever little knowledge i have of the game's ins and outs.

im rendering the 3rd episode now, which is somewhat longer than the 15-20 mins i try to aim for. there is finally some action as Rome launched its new, Spring 278 campaign. there is also a rather peculiar AI behaviour on display.

AE is up to date atm (my version, not the official one), although Kam will be completely be reworking it I believe. If you ever want to achieve a strategic peace after you conquer magna graecia, you could potentially use https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1349902818 to force a peace, since the AI is usually not really inclined to do so at higher diffs.
    Last edited by Dardo21; October 16, 2018 at 03:34 PM.

AE is up to date atm (my version, not the official one), although Kam will be completely be reworking it I believe. If you ever want to achieve a strategic peace after you conquer magna graecia, you could potentially use https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1349902818 to force a peace, since the AI is usually not really inclined to do so at higher diffs.
    thanks a lot for the tip, wasnt aware of this

episode 3: Spring 278, Rome opens campaign season
    is finally out

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast