Thread: Romani Units Pack (AOR) for FotE

Default Romani Units Pack (AOR) for FotE

Currently i'm thinking of compatibility patch (or sole mod, depending on circumstances) for that mod, however i found it inconsistent either to Notitia Dignitatum or other sources, which troubles me to state whether particular unit shall or not be included. The main goal is of course bringing reality with inclusion of those units. There is list of units that is easy to segregate they are BEL or ATT, but some of them are really hard to state if they are worthy implementation.
    Numerus Dacorum (Dacii), Numerus Invictorum, etc., "numerus" units - according to sources such units are mentioned in 3rd century annales, later become Limitanei. The problem is FotE distinguish Numerus and Limitanei units (seemingly it is wrong) as they are the same class units. So Numerus and Limitanei should be comparable while the difference was barbarian or roman origins only, which in early Vth century mostly didn't matter. So in fact they should be named Milites (or Alae) (lower class limitanei units) and Limitanei (including Numerus units and Limitanei - border regular army units). This brings problem to include numerus units per region/name. However this was common, like Dacii stationing in Aegypt, that units were spreaded within imperial forces, still regionalisation (aka AOR) may take effect that all armies of player will be full of one region units if he builds only one skirmisher barrack (in FotE it is Limitanei forces barrack) and in fact all that units will be distinguished only by name.
    So what to do:
    1. Let all units be recruitable without AOR - player will choose which name he wants in particular army,
    2. Leave it as it is - one Numerus/Limitanei unit type even if in fact they might had been distinguished (ND doesn't contain most limitanei units so noone knows for sure how they were organised, last known era was Diocletian reforms, but that was at least 100 year before Attila times. Anyway it seems FotE thugs should be renamed to Milites (or Ala?) Numerus and Limitanei elevated to similar group and the original thugs should be recreated as famous withing those time "boys" - private units recruited by landowners (inscriptions called them "puerorum").

Default Re: Romani Units Pack (AOR) for FotE

Cool update Cgma and since you trying to make little more historical accurate... have you ever considered to use this mod to make the shield of the Roman model look like this?
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=881681505

Quote Originally Posted by quachandy99 View Post
    Cool update Cgma and since you trying to make little more historical accurate... have you ever considered to use this mod to make the shield of the Roman model look like this?
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=881681505
    Actually none of this patterns ever existed, this is rather fictional. The problem of any roman unit mod is that none of them covers even 1/10 of units existed according to Notitia Dignitatum. As far as i'm looking into Romani Unit Pack and compare it to sources i have no idea how authors defined units they created and why they chose those, not others. According to various sources there were at least 69 comitatenses units (both WRE and ERE total), 29 Auxiliary Palatina/Palatina units and unknown number of Limitanei (at least 100). Most of them were different only by name and shield patterns, some had different names while they were detached from one main unit. I have no idea how to sort those units (i mean Romani Pack) to keep them balanced and historically accurate.
    By the way that pack heavily conflicts with FotE models so just creating compatibility patch between them is impossible, i don't know i want to make submod of 360MB weight.
    Last edited by Cgma; October 10, 2018 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgma View Post
    Actually none of this patterns ever existed, this is rather fictional. The problem of any roman unit mod is that none of them covers even 1/10 of units existed according to Notitia Dignitatum. As far as i'm looking into Romani Unit Pack and compare it to sources i have no idea how authors defined units they created and why they chose those, not others. According to various sources there were at least 69 comitatenses units (both WRE and ERE total), 29 Auxiliary Palatina/Palatina units and unknown number of Limitanei (at least 100). Most of them were different only by name and shield patterns, some had different names while they were detached from one main unit. I have no idea how to sort those units (i mean Romani Pack) to keep them balanced and historically accurate.
    By the way that pack heavily conflicts with FotE models so just creating compatibility patch between them is impossible, i don't know i want to make submod of 360MB weight.
    hi Cgma,
    no need to push it and keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by quachandy99 View Post
    hi Cgma,
    no need to push it and keep up the good work.
    No pushing around . This just consumes a lot of time to research and compare things, if not all, probably part of it will be included, all depends on balance issues mostly.