Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suicidal AI Generals

Default Suicidal AI Generals

Hello, first off thanks for such a great mod. I have completed a Romani and Bosphoran campaign and now I'm playing as Selucids.

I have noticed that when there is an instance where I have two armies fielded, with the ai controlling one, that it tends to throw the general headon into the enemy. This is without the rest of his army. The general does pull away eventually however many times the general is killed. This is a bit annoying when often it is the king or kings heir. I am playing with the alternative battles submod but I noticed this previously aswell. This is also with the ai on defensive mode.

Default Re: Suicidal AI Generals

What you can do is increase the AIGeneral Hit points on the game files with Notepad ++, increase it to 5 max and it will be better that way. The AI General will still die anyway but will die fewer times than before
    I did it and you can check the results: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...eleases/page72

When the "AI-controlled General" is YOUR family member (as per the question in the OP), there's only two things you can really do:

1) Check off the "AI Control" on the pre-Battle screen. That way you control both armies and avoid the problem altogether.

2) Throw your human-controlled army at the AI-enemy as fast as possible so you can (hopefully) get some units in to support your AI-controlled FM before he kills himself. The more of your units attacking the same one he's fighting, the better your chance of keeping him alive.
    EBII Council

It's unfortunate you cannot control 40 units, that is why I like having the AI take the other army, especially if it is 2 of my stacks vs 2 enemy stacks.

It appears I will have to continue to do what you mentioned, attack before the ai as to spare his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    What you can do is increase the AIGeneral Hit points on the game files with Notepad ++, increase it to 5 max and it will be better that way. The AI General will still die anyway but will die fewer times than before
    I did it and you can check the results: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...eleases/page72

I'll try this in my next campaign, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by will1901 View Post
    Just be aware that won't help YOUR general, just the one he's attacking.
    EBII Council

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by will1901 View Post
    A change to the export_descr_character_traits may even be save game compatible.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Which specific line of code must I change to give the AI General +5 Hit points?
    I looked in to the export_descr_character_traits and there are many possibilities for AI General Hit Points.

Thanks for your help, I am tempted in trying this little tweak.
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Der Böse Wolf View Post
    I looked in to the export_descr_character_traits and there are many possibilities for AI General Hit Points.

Find the AIGeneral trait. The three levels are together, just update the line.

I'd recommend not giving them 5 hit points, though, that's too many.

A change to the export_descr_character_traits may even be save game compatible.
    It really depends on the scale and type of the change, but in my experience doing so can cause "strange" occurrences if not outright CTDs.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Find the AIGeneral trait. The three levels are together, just update the line.

I'd recommend not giving them 5 hit points, though, that's too many.
    Thanks.

I am tempted in trying because I was watching the YouTube playthrough series in this thread about the Macedonias Restoration, and at the decisive battle between Antigonus and Phyrrus, and as the Macedonia player clumsily moved his battle lines and was under real pressure from the Epirus troops, losing the cavalry fight as well, Phyrrus decided to suicidally attack the Macedonias behind their lines.

He killed a few but was eventually caught and slain which caused a massive rout and the battle was easily won.

Had the AI not been suicidal with the general, Phyrrus would have stayed alive and the Macedon player would have been in a big trouble in a very decisive battle.

If Phyrrus had +5 hit points, he would have stayed longer alive despite his suicidal charge, which would have permitted a possible rout of the macedonian troops and made the battle much more difficult and interesting for the human player, especially it being pretty decisive at this stage of the campaign, with such historical and major generals.
    Watch the video about the battle and you will see what I mean.

This is why I am tempted in trying this tweak, eventhough I always trust the modders and never tweak anything.

Speaking of tweaking, can you confirm that I need to change to "5" both values highlighted in yellow?

Current Hotseat:

Make sure you use Notepad++ to make any edits.

I'd say copy one of the 1 hit point variants to the top one, change the second to 2 and the third to 3. That would have a marked impact.

Make sure you use Notepad++ to make any edits.

I'd say copy one of the 1 hit point variants to the top one, change the second to 2 and the third to 3. That would have a marked impact.
    Thanks.

Why does the level 1 have no HitPoints code line?

Current Hotseat:

Thanks.

Why does the level 1 have no HitPoints code line?
    Because it wasn't felt necessary for the 1st level of the trait.

Because it wasn't felt necessary for the 1st level of the trait.
    Pardon if it's a dumb question, but, if no HitPoints were specified, does it mean that the level 1 AI general has no hitpoints? I don't seem to understand.
    Unless no Hit points specified mean a normal 1 hit point and +1 hit point an extra Hit point?

Current Hotseat:

Do you know that you can issue direct move and attack orders to reinforcing AI army? Just click on the portrait next to the aggressive/defensive stance and right click where you want to move or attack. I frequently do this to keep the AI army as reserve and let them out only when really needed.

As the one who tested the AIGeneral Hitpoint, DO NOT CHANGE IT TO 5 HITPOINTS! Really, it is way to much, the Generals don't die, they will be similar to Chuck Norris. Since that, I kept testing and found that 3 Hitpoints for all levels seems the best thing, battles are a lot harder and sometimes I even need to check where the enemy General is in order to kill him, otherwise I would loose the battle x) I only do this with my Pontos campaign where I'm constantly being attacked either by rebels or the Armenians x)

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    As the one who tested the AIGeneral Hitpoint, DO NOT CHANGE IT TO 5 HITPOINTS! Really, it is way to much, the Generals don't die, they will be similar to Chuck Norris. Since that, I kept testing and found that 3 Hitpoints for all levels seems the best thing, battles are a lot harder and sometimes I even need to check where the enemy General is in order to kill him, otherwise I would loose the battle x) I only do this with my Pontos campaign where I'm constantly being attacked either by rebels or the Armenians x)
    Oh thanks for the feedback.

I'll try the 3 hitpoints on all 3 levels.

Can you explain why the level 1 has no hit points? How does it work? No hit points mean that he is like a normal unit?

Current Hotseat:

Pardon if it's a dumb question, but, if no HitPoints were specified, does it mean that the level 1 AI general has no hitpoints? I don't seem to understand.
    Unless no Hit points specified mean a normal 1 hit point and +1 hit point an extra Hit point?
    They are additional hit points, not the only ones they have.

They are additional hit points, not the only ones they have.
    Thanks.
    Can you explain what are the 3 levels of AI generals? What are the requirements?

Current Hotseat:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast