Thread: Dread versus Chivalry for heirs to the Throne

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Dread versus Chivalry for heirs to the Throne

I had the occasion to marry an eligible prince with Constance, my beloved French princess. The man was simply not to be trusted. The actively disloyal earns him 3 dread and a -4 loyalty. With marriage he becomes more loyal due to traits that Constance brings to the marriage. I never have played where I would intentionally marry into dread. As France, I would sometimes push the Dread with Prince Louis. I never did like the results once he became king. So I was thinking dread and perhaps not a future heir to the throne.... So what about it? Do we have any members here that like using a great charm Princess to wed with a dreaded knight? That in this case would be marriage to a French 5 charm princess. Is it worth it to start a knight on his way to high dread since this better than average charm does improve the chance of children? Are there some factions with more of an advantage than others for high dread leaders of field armies? Obviously any army that has a large portion of units that already contribute to fear in the enemy would be on such a favored list.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dread versus Chivalry for heirs to the Throne

Dread is great for those generals you want to command your armies, but whom are not in a direct line to the throne. Both chivalry and dread increases public order, but when in battle high chivalry gives your own troops higher morale, and high dread lowers the enemies, making them much more suspectible to morale shocks, which is very helpful. The only clear postive/negative side of dread/chivalry comes in to play for your faction leader. Higher chivalry gives a diplomatic bonus to other factions, and higher dread gives a penalty.

As for factions with more of a benefit, there are a few ways to go about. If you fix the two-ha der bug you could go Denmark/Norway depending on mod and roleplay the ferocious viking raider, with the extra morale shock from their two-handers. However, I would say it's a good bonus to have for any faction, as all of them have the good ole' cav charge, which combined with a high dread general can send entire armies routing.

To sum it up: High dread- Battle prowess. High chivalry - King material
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman