Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why is murder wrong?

Default Re: Why is murder wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob69Joe View Post
    Though you know I have not been jesting. Murder means nothing when there is a lack of identity and loyalty among the people.
    So what about you. Murder is quite consistent among the people. In fact the government defines it by law. Even if your personal definition says the only place you'll be happy is North God Damn Korea. We have ours. Go have yours with Kim Jong-un.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Tiro

I'm Armenian, though if I were North Korean, I might just not be thinking like the Southerners. What do you mean "we?"

These things are important for a reason. I live in America and I honestly can not say that a single unified nation exists south of the border. The violence is tribal.

Peace folks, I'll catch up in the morning!
    Last edited by Bob69Joe; October 11, 2018 at 12:34 AM.

What do you mean "we?"

These things are important for a reason. I live in America and I honestly can not say that a single unified nation exists south of the border. The violence is tribal.

Peace folks, I'll catch up in the morning!
    I say "we" as in any given country has a consistent legal definition of murder. Your morals don't enter into the legal definition.

If for some reason you have to kill someone and it is not in question that you killed them(see the Zimmerman case in Florida) and a prosecutor charges you with murder you will then hire a lawyer to argue in your defense that you did not murder that person for X, Y, or Z context. You may even take the stand and answer questions from both your own attorney and the prosecutor. But these contexts may or may not convince the judge or jury it was murder. You may or may not be convicted.

Murder is a legal term.

I mean "we" because you live in your own little world where the dictionary doesn't matter. If you can not even go to dictionary.com, much less look up the laws that define how to convict someone of murder I am not sure how to have this discussion with you short of just trolling you for the fun of it. Go do some research.
    Last edited by Gaidin; October 11, 2018 at 01:20 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Tiro

All I'm saying if it was not clear enough is that a lack of fidelity produces greater sins.

I guess I never saw "murder" on par with something like "burglary." I should have just said, "Why is death wrong?"
    Last edited by Bob69Joe; October 11, 2018 at 12:55 PM.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Perhaps if the relatives of anyone who was murdered could be heard even in lands where we in the West regard them to be lands where life is cheap, I think one would see that they don't think life is so cheap after all. Premeditated murder is most surely wrong. Of course accidental taking of life is another matter and can be dealt with appropriately but the pain felt by the relatives of such victims is no less than that of cold blood killing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_death_claim

And basics, there are criminal charges out the wazoo for accidental deaths so don't be making any assumptions here.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tiro

I'm not sure what I could say without others presuming what it means, but I certainly don't mean * off to everyone else or that some terrible fate must come to pass and we muat riae against the iron laws!

I do say that perhaps those laws can never cover everything, like a decline in social trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_death_claim

And basics, there are criminal charges out the wazoo for accidental deaths so don't be making any assumptions here.
    Gaidin,

Spare an old man his blushes when he asks you what wazoo is?

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Gaidin,

Spare an old man his blushes when he asks you what wazoo is?
    Out the ass.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

OK, if it's not wrong why would it be right?

Tiro

Who knows? If business is our highest ideal, then the society only needs warm bodies to show up to work and murder would obviously be bad because it would detract from business. I can't really think of a society that we have right now, that can fulfill its ideals without complicated contracts between states and individuals. I'm guessing we're doomed. d:

Bob69Joe,

Our Highest ideal is to love our neighbours as we would love ourselves which any belief system can acquiesce to but one greater than that is to love the Lord your God with all that you have and surprisingly that's the very thing that divides all mankind.

Tiro

Hear ye!

Now if only people could have more time with their families and not in business.

Hear ye!

Now if only people could have more time with their families and not in business.
    Bob69Joe,

Since not everyone can grow there own sustenance or have running water at their call business has to come into play because it's a case of if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours in which all can benefit. That's life.

OK, if it's not wrong why would it be right?
    Let me present you a scenario from a recent tragedy that happened on our side of the ocean.

A large group of people rent a limousine from a company, and there was a crash that killed more than fifteen people. In the investigation it was found out that proper upkeep maintenance was not done on the rented limousine. Is this murder? Or is this negligent homicide?
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let me present you a scenario from a recent tragedy that happened on our side of the ocean.

A large group of people rent a limousine from a company, and there was a crash that killed more than fifteen people. In the investigation it was found out that proper upkeep maintenance was not done on the rented limousine. Is this murder? Or is this negligent homicide?
    Gaidin,

I would say that there is a case to be made for both. The owners of the vehicle were duty bound to see that it was safe to operate and if they knowingly did not then murder is an appropriate charge. If however they did not know and left the safety of the vehicle to say the driver who was negligent then negligent homicide would be appropriate against them and the driver.

Gaidin,

I would say that there is a case to be made for both. The owners of the vehicle were duty bound to see that it was safe to operate and if they knowingly did not then murder is an appropriate charge. If however they did not know and left the safety of the vehicle to say the driver who was negligent then negligent homicide would be appropriate against them and the driver.
    Except there was no intent to murder and so negligence. If you can’t grasp the difference between these two ideas I’m not sure that this discussion goes any further.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Except there was no intent to murder and so negligence. If you can’t grasp the difference between these two ideas I’m not sure that this discussion goes any further.
    Gaidin,

Oh there might well have been no premeditation to have anyone killed but the negligence in maintaining the vehicle for whatever reason gives cause for legal action in itself even if its passengers were not killed but only injured. I say only injured as against dying rather off the cuff because just being injured could well have life long consequences where death to that person might well have been more merciful.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

This was an eye catching title. Now I may be missing something here, but aside from the obvious fact that it is illegal and I'm sure 99.99999% of you don't want it to be done to you, murder is taking away the chance for someone to live his life to the fullest he possibly can. It's robbing him of an existence that he should have had the chance to create for himself. It's cruel, vicious, and flat out wrong, and not just because it's illegal. If you've been properly brought up, you don't need to point out that there is such a law to prove that you're right. Laws are made by politicians, and aren't foolproof.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Swaeft,

The greatest Law of all given by our Creator is that murder is wrong and that supersedes anything else made by man.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast