Thread: City / Army population

Icon3 City / Army population

Dear devs,

Firstly, you guys rock.

Reason why I write this, and hopefully someone will see it, is that you should think about implementing a population system (if you haven't already).

I know its quite stupid to compare this mod to Divide et Impera, but I kinda have to. Even if all mods on moddb and twcenter are pretty awesome, nothing compares to DeI, since their ''innovative'' population system has changed the game drastically, both historically accurate and exciting new mechanic.

You see, being a fan of TW from the first shogun, the game's patters has been the same when it came to armies. As long as you have money you can continually spam armies with no consequences. A population system not only encourages you to be more careful with how many soldiers die, but it limits you from having a lot of high tier units. All the other total war games / mods only limit you due to upkeep, nothing else (with exception of Thrones of Britannia which has food). Also, to mention the fact that if you start using more a more of a cities population, its economy will go down. It fits perfectly in the total war series and I'm actually stunned why CA or anyone else hasn't done it.

I think mustering troops with population is a very delicate and important aspect in TW games, and its very hard, at least from my perspective, to go back to a non population game, where basically only money is the issue. Even if you lose two armies, they can easily be replenished since the upkeep of those no longer exists.

Frankly, DeI Mod has ruined TW series for me, for more than one reason.

I really hope you implement a system like that, it would fit so well in your campaign mod.

PS: I know it would be very hard to crate such a mechanic, but damn it would be epic.

Keep up the excellent work guys
    Cheers,

Default Re: City / Army population

That is a good idea, if they can do that at this point in the mod but the problem is, that this would be a matter of preference a bit too much. Some people would find this system to be too hard. I know quite a few players that do not like the system in DeI. Considering that this mod has been in development for so long, starting to implement such a system at this stage would be a cluster.

How terrible it must be to face us; the sons of the wolf and the bear! Even now fear works in the bowels of our foes! I do not fight with a cool head today, I admit it. My eyes see only a red mist. I do not want them to run from battle, I want their heads on our pikes by evening! We go now to our bloody business!

I remember Medieval II had limited troops per City, and would replenish once every few turns. That could work as well. Either way.

So excited about the campaign mode. Wish I knew the modding tools to help out.

Cheers,

Population System is an interesting system, but configuring it into the work right now is rather complicated when we're trying to deliver a campaign. Perhaps later after when we can release the first iteration of the public campaign release.

I just played the alpha and it has the population, and so far, it works fine so far. I'm so glad you implemented this system.
    Will definitely test the game in more depth and write down notes for feedback.

Good luck!