View Poll Results: Shall the candidate be awarded Citizenship?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 92.86%
  • No

0 0%
  • Abstain

2 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Artifex] Benjin (Patron: z3n)

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default [Artifex] Benjin (Patron: z3n)

Hello,

I would like to draw your attention to a great modder with a bright history and possibly brighter future. He's a rare breed of talent with no small amount of skill in the 2d aspect of modding and even 3d. He first came to my attention by chance this summer while I looked for a mod on steam.

My only regret is that I never noticed him sooner. The popularity and quantity along with quality of his mods are impressive thus far. I believe he is well worth recognizing with Artifex.

I've taken the liberty of compiling a list of contributions from him as part of my patrons paragraph or two.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ing&highlight=
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Mod&highlight=
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-1)&highlight=
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Mod&highlight=
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...eks&highlight=

And some exciting WIP which is still being worked on even if it doesn't count quite yet

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...eks&highlight=
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...its&highlight=

I will present his thoughts without further ado.

Hello there!

Ever since Rome II released back in 2013, I always knew that the game and especially the artwork (UI, 3D assets, overall presentation etc) could have been way better. I always used mods to try and improve the visual experience to get myself more immersed into the game. In 2015, I finally decided - because there were some mods I desired which didn't exist - that I was going to take the plunge and learn how to mod the Total War games. I started off small by working on a few UI replacement mods such as Promotional Loading Images (not on TWC at the moment - I wasn't on TWC at the time of its release). The most ambitious UI replacement mod I did was Attila-Style Building Icons; hundreds of unique building artwork done in the style of Total War: ATTILA's created using a combination of ingame screenshots and digital painting in Photoshop. It was also the first mod I made a thread for on TWC to track progress. Upon its initial release, featuring only the Romans, it was also recognised and nominated as a contender for CA's "Best Graphical Mod - 2015" award. After I finished the mod at the time (mostly - there were only a handful of building branches I hadn't done for specific factions), I then thought - since I was at university doing my Games Art & Design course, where I was getting more and more proficient at 3D art and other technical art skills - that I should get into making more ambitious mods.

My first attempt at doing something completely new / experimental for Rome II modding was the Movie Events + Intro Videos mod, which started out as a submod for Divide et Impera. While I discovered that it was possible to get movies into the game, I also discovered that new audio was absolutely not possible to implement and / or be triggered by a new file, which was a shame - I had to get creative and use soundboards, which not many people liked having to use.

I decided that the next project would have to be 100% possible to do while also allowing me to flex my newly acquired 3D skills. I couldn't really find much, until CA returned to the game after around 3 years of inactivity with Patch 18 (Empire Divided). This patch, while appearing rather shallow at face-value and mostly just implementing the new campaign DLC, actually fixed and altered a few things that not many people would have appreciated. One of the biggest I realised was that the age / rank / season appearance swapping, which was in Attila (and I believe Shogun 2 as well), had been fixed. This potentially allowed for a new type of campaign agent visual appearance mod which I really wanted to become a reality, to bring back that feeling of connection to your important characters that was present in older titles such as Rome and Medieval II, rather stay as a dream. So, for about three months I worked on it through the spare time I had, while also working on a couple of new assets (e.g. heads) and a whole load of model edits / re-textures to get them as perfect as I could possible get them to be.

That mod became AAA Generals, solely focusing on the Roman campaign characters initially, and has been probably the biggest recent mod I've ever released - over 17,000 subscribers / 1,000 likes on the Steam Workshop item alone in just 3 months and still increasing by around 100 - 200 subscribers / 5 - 10 likes every day (occasionally 400 - 500 / 10 - 15 likes if promoted by somebody externally or a major event affecting the player numbers of the game occurs). I didn't think the mod would receive that amount of attention and was shocked that something I had made had received such a large and positive response in a short amount of time. I knew I had hit something which was original, even though the core concept of it wasn't (i.e. a leader unit re-skin mod). So, I decided that it should become a series of mods - I still have Hellenic (incl. Spartan, Athenian, Macedonian, Egyptian, Baktrian etc), Barbarian (incl. Briton, Gallic, German, Iberian etc), Eastern and other (incl. Latins, Etruscans etc) cultures to cover since I had only done the Romans. I renamed that released mod to AAA Generals: Rome, worked on it for an extra month to give it more polish based on user feedback and then got down to working on the next one.

Around the time I had settled to work on Egyptians, but an announcement popped up - another campaign DLC was being released soon, called Rise of the Republic. I postponed the Egyptians and got to work on that mod using the unreleased assets and db tables from a closed beta key given to me by someone (cannot tell who). It came out in early-mid August, called AAA Generals: Rise of the Republic. While not 100% finished (i.e. just featuring the Romans, again), I thought it was good for people to use temporarily so that I could add and expand to it over time. I'm still working on it here and there - the next culture groups to be added for the campaign that mod focuses on will be the Etruscans and Greeks. I also released a quick mod bringing back the male variations of the "Spy" campaign agent class as well in the Male Spies for Romans / Greeks when I discovered there were hidden voice + other files related to them not being utilised for some reason.

Now 2 months after the release of AAA Generals: Rome, I was getting a lot of requests for Greeks. However, I had set a personal goal to do the Egyptians first, so I got to working on them before the Greeks. This time I really wanted to add in some entirely new assets for them to make use of and to add more original stuff to my 3D Art portfolio and for practice. Doing this sort of thing would significantly increase the file size of the mod, and back then I would have rather added the Egyptians as part of a massive AAA Generals: Hellenic mod. However, the Steam Workshop only allowed a certain file size limit (around 300MB - 400MB) and I'd prefer to release mods on the Steam Workshop until the mod is 100% finished, so I decided to work on lots of smaller releases leading up to one big finished mod to eventually release on TWC. By some miracle CA decided, a few weeks ago, to un-limit the file sizes on Rome II's Steam Workshop. I now no longer need to work on lots of smaller little mods per faction anymore, but only a few big releases covering the main culture types (with an eventual big, combined version). So, I'm no longer working on AAA Generals: Egypt, but AAA Generals: Greeks - I've recently released a WIP thread on TWC showing a few bits of the finished work so far on the Egyptians a few days ago and am currently working on a whole lot more to make this mod truly feel unique and try to meet the standards that CA would expect of their 3D Artists as much as I can.

In the future I plan to go back and update a few of my older mods, such as Attila-Style Building Icons (do new ones for Empire Divided + Desert Kingdoms + Rise of the Republic and do a separate version for Divide et Impera) and Movie Events + Intro Videos (for that one, I'm trying to figure out an easier method to trigger audio rather than manual soundboards - once I've figured out how to get it working automatically, I will come back to the mod and also work on my own cutscenes), finish the AAA series for Rome II (any TW games with the age / rank / season functionality can be given the AAA treatment for their characters, so that includes Attila, Thrones of Britannia and (I think) Shogun 2 or the Warhammer series) and continue to work on more experimental / original mods or ones which involve creating entirely new assets to improve the visual diversity of the original game (e.g. Celticus' visual overhaul mods; I'm in constant contact with him and making some new models for him to texture).

Anyway, that's my story on how I got into TWC + TW modding (Rome II era)!

Thanks for reading,

Ben
    Last edited by z3n; October 05, 2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: links for reading
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Default Re: [Artifex] Benjin (Patron: z3n)

Lovely application z3n . Will support unless anyone can raise worthy issues?

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

lots of 404 not found for me
    anybody else has the same isusse?
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Yes, top links by Z3n possibly not formatted properly. However, the links by Benjin appear to function as intended.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Gah, I forgot how bad TWC is for pasting links from TWC. I'll fix it.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

I like the content generation and mod creation. I'm curious if he's likely to participate in the community though, after 3 years he hasn't done so that much except for regards to his own creations.

Your links are all 404 btw, his are correct however.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post
    I like the content generation and mod creation. I'm curious if he's likely to participate in the community though, after 3 years he hasn't done so that much except for regards to his own creations.

An Artifex or Opifex creates a mod which then hopefully creates a community. I would not expect them to partake in other communities, as creating one is pretty hard work.

An Opifex might be expected to contribute to other communities but it isn't necessarily required.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Great modding work, Content Staff, nice attitude from what I can tell. Will be voting yes unless something else surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post

He's in Content as well.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Interesting modding projects; The next time I pick up Rome II I know where I am going first to enhance my experience. BTW, I love the artwork here. Good attitude and he seems highly motivated. Please, I want more, don't stop! SUPPORT

----
    Side note, can we not "quote" the clients part. Reading italics is hard on these 49-year-old eyes.
    Last edited by PikeStance; October 05, 2018 at 11:58 PM.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

An easy yes from me. Always nice to see some talented modders.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Benjin is an talented modder and a very pleasant guy. We have talked many times about his modding work-plans and actually I was thinking to suggest him myself.
    So an easy support for me. He certainly earned my trust as a person and modder so I believe he'll be an excellent citizen and valuable member of our Community.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

thanks for fixing the links after checking them I can safely say support
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Yes support. Wish we could find more like him.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Support.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Dito.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Support.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Support.

I was under the impression I was patronizing him though... ah well.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Support.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Support.

That's called alzheimer, GB
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Support.

That's called alzheimer, GB
    I have exactly the same applicant's part in my inbox
    Last edited by General Brewster; October 06, 2018 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast