Thread: Carthage Settlement Questions? How did you decide?

Default Carthage Settlement Questions? How did you decide?

Hi I am enjoying this mod very much, however I am a huge history buff and I am curious how you decided which cities were autonomus states, which were punic colonies and which were tributaries. Was the decision based on historical research? random? Based on balance concerns over historicity? I am not doubting or questioning your hard work, I am just curious how you decided which was which or what sources you used for Carthaginian settlements as I try to play the game as historically accurate as possible.

Also, I think one thing that can be done to improve the map/historicity of the game is to make the settlement Iol cover only a strip of the northern coast of north africa instead of covering all that land as Carthage only controlled the northern strip with the rest being controlled by the numidians. The map used in Hannibal at the gates DLC is a good representation for that and it helps make the game more historically accurate as you can denote Iol as being a punic colony while having the Maesasyli faction controlling the region under as it looks awkward having Carthage control that whole chunk of land.

Default Re: Carthage Settlement Questions? How did you decide?

Carthage is not a centralized kingdom and direct ownership did not occur outside it walls and hinterland. Other cities (like Gades, Utica and kerkouane) most likely were colonies largely independents and somehow specialized. All of these paied tribute to either Tyre or Sidon (in modern day Lebanon). Once those two fell to Babylonian conquest the colonies in the western Mediterranean turned to powerful Carthage at that time for protection and support against their Greek rivals. That's how the system came to be. However Carthage itself was neither the largest nor the richest city in its domain, but the most prominent. For example the Tophet of Karalis is larger in size and stele number to that of Carthage !!
    So to answer the question : the largest colonies were strictly indepandant (Karalis, new Carthage and Gades), others were colonies or "comptoires" (literally trading posts).
    As for Iol, we know from archeological source that the coast from the gulf of Tunis to Gades was Punic, while the interior retains it's native and Greek culture (or otherwise native unique culture)