Thread: Advice for Mauryan (Greco-Indian) faction start

Default Advice for Mauryan (Greco-Indian) faction start

Hi folks,

First off fantastic mod, redownloaded Rome 2 to give this a try and blown away with the level of detail and thought that's gone into it, the base game is pale by comparison.

I wanted to try a completely different start to what I usually would do so gave the Mauryan's a go but not sure where I would be best placed going since I'm bracketed by the Seleucid empire's satrapies to north and west, no expansion to the east and an amphibious landing cost me half my army in attrition in just the crossing (I'm guessing because of the mod's supply mechanic). Also the arabic states seem to have very powerful armies considering their size (screenshot attached), I know the ai cheats but is this accurate or could I have buggered up the mod somehow?

Happy with this being a hard start since that is what is advertised but any tips or advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heavy opposition.jpg  

Default Re: Advice for Mauryan (Greco-Indian) faction start

In older versions of the mod there was.little alternative than an overseas invasion into Arabia (use supply ships yo avoid attrition btw) but these days fighting in the east is completely doable.

There is a script forcing most of the satrapies to rebel some 25-30 turns into the game so be patient. Use those turns to strengthen your economy and build up a large war chest, then assess your options post rebellion script, build two stacks and blitz. You will be bleeding money for 10+ turns but your war chest should carry you through that

You can also use the diplomatic option "join war against" to declare war to someone without dragging in their allies or masters, btw. A bit cheesy but the option is there

Quote Originally Posted by PietrolEremita View Post
    In older versions of the mod there was.little alternative than an overseas invasion into Arabia (use supply ships yo avoid attrition btw) but these days fighting in the east is completely doable.

There is a script forcing most of the satrapies to rebel some 25-30 turns into the game so be patient. Use those turns to strengthen your economy and build up a large war chest, then assess your options post rebellion script, build two stacks and blitz. You will be bleeding money for 10+ turns but your war chest should carry you through that

You can also use the diplomatic option "join war against" to declare war to someone without dragging in their allies or masters, btw. A bit cheesy but the option is there
    Thanks for the tips - will give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by spriksprak View Post
    Hi folks,

an amphibious landing cost me half my army in attrition in just the crossing (I'm guessing because of the mod's supply mechanic).
    Yep. You need a supply ship to supply an transport fleet. Build one admiral ship and one supply ship. Move the army into the navy and you'll be good to go(for 8 turns, which is when the navy runs out of its supplies as well). Once the army lands, they should be able to forage for their own supplies for a while, though it will cost you financially. You may also experience some attrition due to unusually hot summers and the like due to your location on the world map, but fortunately your enemies should also suffer.

Please repeat this for my confidence
    Your advice is to build up the treasury and not build up/move any armies before the rebellions of the satraps, correct?

Senator

It is often easier to fight against bigger empires than against one region powers, if the big faction is in several wars. Small factions have mostly two armies and idle around the capital which adds the garrison. You need a lot of power to deal with them. Bigger empires on the other hand often have to leave regions unprotected.

I'm playing as Medewi (Nubians, south of Egypt) and planned to reduce the threat from the ugly Arabians, but their armies are really strong with several elite units while I have mostly naked base units. So I build a treasure of about 60,000 gold and then invaded the Ptolemeian heartland with two, later three stacks. I profited from the dump AI which moved stacks near me but then sent them to other places. The Ptolemies are in war with about 7 factions but my attack was surely the most dangerous. Now I got whole Egypt with Alexandria, which means most probably no good future for the Ptolemies.

So wait for your chance and then use it.
    Last edited by geala; October 02, 2018 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by No Bias FTW View Post
    Please repeat this for my confidence
    Your advice is to build up the treasury and not build up/move any armies before the rebellions of the satraps, correct?
    Yes. I usually research infantry barracks 3, build those and a temple, and have a large treasury (50-100k) and no army until after turn 50. Then I build a doom stack, a stack of light/cheap troops and start attacking the weakest nation's around me, usually the satrapies that rebelled.
    Then I create a 3rd stack and kill Bactria... And the world is yours

Yes. I usually research infantry barracks 3, build those and a temple, and have a large treasury (50-100k) and no army until after turn 50. Then I build a doom stack, a stack of light/cheap troops and start attacking the weakest nation's around me, usually the satrapies that rebelled.
    Then I create a 3rd stack and kill Bactria... And the world is yours
    Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    It is often easier to fight against bigger empires than against one region powers, if the big faction is in several wars. Small factions have mostly two armies and idle around the capital which adds the garrison. You need a lot of power to deal with them. Bigger empires on the other hand often have to leave regions unprotected.

I'm playing as Medewi (Nubians, south of Egypt) and planned to reduce the threat from the ugly Arabians, but their armies are really strong with several elite units while I have mostly naked base units. So I build a treasure of about 60,000 gold and then invaded the Ptolemeian heartland with two, later three stacks. I profited from the dump AI which moved stacks near me but then sent them to other places. The Ptolemies are in war with about 7 factions but my attack was surely the most dangerous. Now I got whole Egypt with Alexandria, which means most probably no good future for the Ptolemies.

So wait for your chance and then use it.
    Awesome too, thanks.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 02, 2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

boblikesoup's Avatar Civis

Yea it's honestly a really easy start even on high difficulties if you just wait for Satrapies to rebel then keep taking over whoever people hate the most. In my campaign everybody in the world is positive relations with me including Seleucids AND Egypt.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Moved to:

DeI Strategy Guides and Gameplay Discussions

Feel free to continue.