Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-order DLC announced

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Pre-order DLC announced

A few good point I caught:
    -good timing to release info about preorder DLC. It will get soak into other negative mess and soon dissipate as WH2 DLC hype will get going next week. Plus after this point we cannot say we have not known about it before. And letīs be honest, every TW for long time had preorder faction or something as bonus.
    -You donīt have to buy it now. Everybody can wait even after first day. One week is enough for reviews..for decision, we will have enough info in time
    -CA got better in providing info early access WH/ToB vs R2 comparison where no one got it and we have steam refunds now
    -not every content creator honest
    -right now sitting on top second selling game in china....so that for predicting fail unless china overlord steps in

Basically All Iīm saying except I cannot say it as well and in video
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

yip yip yahoo more cut content!

seriously we know diddly squat about this game and CA is already announcing DLC, shameful display.

While I do think it is that pre-order DLC(even in this early-adopter form, which is less bad but still pretty bad) ultimately I am glad that if we had to have it, it is these Yellow Turban Remnants. As was said earlier in the thread, at least these factions aren't anything anyone actually cares about. No one would be cursing CA to hell because He Yi was behind a paywall. There were much worse potential pre-order content possibilities.

As for the faction itself, it seems interesting. Even down to the yellow color scheme I am getitng some pretty heavy Ikko Ikki vibes, so I am glad to be able to drown fancy armored warriors in hordes of peasants once again. I wonder if Zhang Lu will also be playable in the game, so it could be much like the Uesugi and the Ikko Ikki in Shogun 2, where you have the religious faction and the fanatical religious faction. Could be interesting. It is also amusing to hear CA talk about how the faction is different from base game factions in various mechanical ways despite us not knowing what the base game factions' mechanics are.

As for the map, I am questioning it a bit. My main gripes are as follows.

1. Not having the Liaodong Peninsula is so weird. The Gongsun's(of Gongsun Du's line) had a power base there well into the Three Kingdoms era proper, surviving past the initial Warlord era and were also courted by Wu to try and get them to attack Wei from the North. Liaodong not being included is super weird to me.

2. The South seems to just have too many provinces. I don't expect the actual reality of the situation, that being that Henan and Hebei(the Central Plains) would basically be equivalent in wealth to all the rest of the Empire, but I feel like there are just way too many regions down there south of the Yangtze and to the west.

Lesser gripes are as follows:

1. Lack of parts of Inner Mongolia, while I am glad the Ordos Loop is in the game I wish we had some of the lands north of the Yellow River, to give more room for Nomad steppe factions.

2.The Hexi Corridor basically being absent. I can't see a reason they wouldn't be in game beyond wanting to keep a rectangular shape, not too peeved off about it being missing but w/e. Feels weird that the map just ends where it does despite even Wei control extending to Gansu. Not a super big deal though.

3. Lack of any lands south of the Red River, was really hoping to see some native Vietnam factions or something.

That covers everything that is on the map as it stands but just isn't given any provinces, if they just gave more of the map provinces it would have been great. Finally Korea was always a pipe-dream but I was really hoping to see it covered.

Basically IMO if they wanted to keep that crisp clean 180 provinces(someone on Reddit counted that there were about 180 provinces on the map) they could have taken 20 provinces or so out of the South and redistributed them to the regions I mentioned. Maybe something like a couple to Vietnam but not many, maybe 3 south of the Red, couple very large provinces in Inner Mongolia, some in Gansu, 3 or so in Liaodong, rest in Korea. Would be a more interesting map IMO. At the very least I think most would agree Liaodong being missing is just weird.

Can someone provide a link to the map, please?

This is the map for this game.

The same map but a redditor counted the number of provinces, there are about 180 provinces.

Thank you! +

Curious, could future DLCs expand the map to include the nomadic tribes?

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipresent-P View Post
    Can someone provide a link to the map, please?
    Already posted both maps, but they got burried pretty quickly in our mess here

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15668640
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15668978

WH showed us that CA can hide particular areas of map for future (Athen Loren - Wood elves were completely unaccessible until DLC, ME map already had east part almost like preparation for ME2.0) or add small additions (like adding Sartosa island to ME map lastly) However in all these examples CA never reshape, enlarge or redraw whole map. So looks like adding Korea or Japan or South Vietnam wonīt happen (well startpos file need s to be examined or leaked ;-) to make sure)

There is no precedent for actually adding lands on the edges of the map in a DLC, excluding WH2 which I don't count as it's a seperate game. I would love to see the map expanded but there is no reason to believe CA would do it.

Honestly, my main issue with the map reallly is the fact that historically, CA has never made a DLC that covers a wider geographic area than the base game. It's normally either a redrawn area of the main map, or a specific area of the grand campaign map drawn into focus. I was really hoping for some DLC(and maybe even mods) that covered time periods when lands like Inner Mongolia and Korea would be relevant like a Rise of the Tang dlc or something. Would have been neat.

Quote Originally Posted by captainkrunch View Post
    There is no precedent for actually adding lands on the edges of the map in a DLC, excluding WH2 which I don't count as it's a seperate game. I would love to see the map expanded but there is no reason to believe CA would do it.

Honestly, my main issue with the map reallly is the fact that historically, CA has never made a DLC that covers a wider geographic area than the base game. It's normally either a redrawn area of the main map, or a specific area of the grand campaign map drawn into focus. I was really hoping for some DLC(and maybe even mods) that covered time periods when lands like Inner Mongolia and Korea would be relevant like a Rise of the Tang dlc or something. Would have been neat.
    This has nothing to do with any precedent. If you are adding major landmass you have to rebuild startpos file from scratch and check EVERYTHING literally. If you prepare stuff ahead like landmass, you can easily cover it with fog, make unaccessibly. Or adding like island here or there. Thatīs okay.

This has all to do with CAīs way to build games on current engine. This is the same from Empire up to now so we cannot probably expect such thing.

Say whatever you want about WH but ME campaign map they are building is the largest projext up to date. :-)
    Last edited by Daruwind; September 28, 2018 at 09:28 PM.

I don't think you understood my WH2 comment, what I meant was that since WH2 was a seperate game from WH1 they could go all out and extend the map like that. I don't think they would do that for a DLC, would love to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by captainkrunch View Post
    I don't think you understood my WH2 comment, what I meant was that since WH2 was a seperate game from WH1 they could go all out and extend the map like that. I don't think they would do that for a DLC, would love to be wrong.
    Ahh,okay. In such approach you are right!

The Augustus campaign map is in fact quite close to R2 grand campaign map so yeah. No DLC ever got bigger map. :-)

If they did it once, they can do it again.
    CA have been hiding map feature since ETW.
    The map seems better suited for the Warring State period.

I highly doubt CA would extend the map to include Korea, Japan, or Vietnam due to possible political implications of doing this. CA has to be very careful as to not get this game banned in China.

The game is too late in the period to bother China.

The game is too late in the period to bother China.
    CA is not a company that likes taking risks, they wont risk it. I would love to be wrong, but I dont think I am.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

No point in pre-ordering for a useless faction. Tbh the only real main figures that standout in this period are Cao Cao, Liu Bei and his two brothers, and the Southlands.

Any other pre-order beyond the other warlords is boring. I wanted Korea tbh, but CA seem to have outdone themselves in that department, lol.

If they lock warlords before release and plan to release them as individual warlords - no.

If they do it however in the style of Warhammer than yay.

The Yellow Turban faction is literally not my faction.

I'm playing Cao Cao and uniting China once and for all.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Lots of preorders already from China and many Asian countries based on Steam top sellers of every country.
    Could you show me a link? It sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by San Felipe View Post
    Could you show me a link? It sounds great!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...he_second_top/

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Gilmor View Post
    CA is not a company that likes taking risks, they wont risk it. I would love to be wrong, but I dont think I am.
    Risk what? The three Kingdom period is not controversial at all. Unless they make a game during the time of the Chinese Revolution and subsequent Civil War, then there is no risk of it being banned. Hearts of Iron IV was, for a time removed from the Steam list, but it has since been restored. The school I am at does not teach IB DP History. I can remedy that if I can come up with a curriculum that stays clear of the controversial topics. Thus far I have three that I have come up with. I discussed at length with my Chinese co-workers what I can discuss freely and what I cannot.

I might have something to do with this. When I was introducing myself, my students noticed my "Total War" games and I shared with them the upcoming game. They were super pumped about it. Most of my male student have the fancy giant gaming laptops. I am jealous. LOL It is too bad CA wouldn't give credit for "marketing" their game, or else I might get for next to nothing.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Thank you! +

Nomads from the north could be the end game villain though I am hoping for something new for end game scenario. I kinda like Warhammer 1 when defeatung Chaos in my usually mid campaign gives false sense of peace before allies later turn enemies and the goal shifted from preparing for Chaos to be the master if the world.

Hope TW3K will have something like that to make me paint the map yellow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast